Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The lives of people a decade younger than most of us are nostalgia to gen Z

Started by Dewt, May 20, 2020, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Can we make the minimum character length of forum posts 280?  Save us from all the Twitter hot takes & worthless half-arsed posts (such as this one).

thenoise

Someone sent me a tik-tok their daughter did, I thought it was really creative and gave me a lot of hope for the next generation of artists.

Then I saw some more, and realised that she was literally just copying a video that everyone else was doing.  Same music, same dance routine, similar clothes, even the camera angle was the same.  Just literally monkey see, monkey do.  Utterly pointless.

buttgammon

The Romanesque revival in the Middle Ages has to be one of the earliest examples in western Europe (if we extend this to art and architecture rather than clothes, of course; it's not like Ælfric of Pissbury was going around in a toga).

peanutbutter

Having access to your entire life via social media must really alter things a lot too.

I finished school in 2008, now I was an outlier for sure in this respect but I'd say there's about 10 photos of me on average from each year of my life up until camera phones became a thing. With the bulk of those photos being awkward family-only birthday parties. Zero video of me at all, zero audio, no letters, nothing.
Didn't get internet until 2005 so there's very little of a digital presence too.

Had I been born ten years later there'd be a huge fucking trail, there'd be so much to look back on over that period of time where you're changing the most. It'd be really easy to be nostalgic for only a few years earlier, I feel.

Emma Raducanu

I've always looked forward to being old. I pass through a suburban sprawl of bungalows, with neatly mowed lawns and manicured rose bushes, with pensioners sat in deck chairs suspicious of me on my daily walk.

It reminds me of the neighborhood I grew up in; a static shrine of everything that is good about old England. You can hear someone tuning into the wireless while the kettle boils and the distant sound of children playing somewhere else.

I can't wait to just be old and retired with an ironed copy of the daily mail on my lap.

Icehaven

When I was about 13 my school hosted a Christmas party for old people bussed in from local care homes, which included a bit where the music teacher took to the piano and played songs for all the old people to sing along with, We'll Meet Again, Roll Out The Barrels, Old Bull And Bush etc.

A lot of news footage recently has been about old people in care homes at risk from Coronavirus, and some has shown them having parties/singalongs to pass the time - and they're singing the same songs we did at my school's party nearly 30 years ago. Admittedly some of the news footage was VE day celebrations so that might be why they were singing WW2 songs, but others weren't. It's as if there's a canon of music it's assumed old people like and hark back to even though people in their 80s now were young in the 1950s and 60s and are more likely to feel nostalgic for Elvis and Bill Haley than Vera Lynn and pub singalongs.

If/when I get old I want to go to a former school and sing along to all the Britpop hits I never liked in the 90s, but I suspect they'll still think old people just fucking love WW2.