Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:48:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK bulk buys hydroxychloroquine

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 20, 2020, 10:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Just in case Trump is correct:

QuoteHydroxychloroquine, the anti-malarial drug being taken by Donald Trump as an unproven protection against coronavirus, is being bought in bulk by the UK in case it does turn out to be an effective Covid-19 treatment.

Ministers are seeking 16m tablets in packets of up to 100 as part of a £35m contract put out to tender on Friday.

The drug is being tested by government scientists, health officials said. They are securing additional supplies so it can be distributed among the population if required.

The contract, which was uploaded to a government website on 15 May, is an "open opportunity" for pharmaceutical suppliers to supply more than 33m tablets of various drugs between June and next January.

There is no evidence hydroxychloroquine can prevent coronavirus, and regulators have warned the drug could cause heart problems.

However, there were concerns that Trump's endorsement would prompt a worldwide shortage of the drug, which can be used to treat lupus and other conditions...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/19/uk-to-test-hydroxychloroqine-as-coronavirus-treatment

So there is no evidence other than what comes out Trump's face arse, but we are wasting time and money on this anyway? Won't this further restrict supply of the drug for people who actually need it?

BlodwynPig

Trump has vested interest in the company, doesn't he?

UK lap dog plough ahead and waste millions on this useless drug

Well done. Expected. The new norm.

Dewt

scarecrow

Don't Gove and Vine have a vested interest in it as well? Grifters beneath contempt.

It's been suggested that the UK government has bulk bought it as they think Trump's patronage will trigger huge demand for the drug, making it difficult to obtain for treatments in which it's proven to be effective. I'm not sure the UK gets that many malaria cases though, so really don't know.

rue the polywhirl

The best way for it to help beat Coronavirus is to tell the politicians to keep it all for themselves. I hope Jacob Rees Mogg starts taking it and gets hydroxychloroquinihilipilification.

buttgammon

Quote from: scarecrow on May 20, 2020, 10:40:21 AM
Don't Gove and Vine have a vested interest in it as well? Grifters beneath contempt.

It's been suggested that the UK government has bulk bought it as they think Trump's patronage will trigger huge demand for the drug, making it difficult to obtain for treatments in which it's proven to be effective. I'm not sure the UK gets that many malaria cases though, so really don't know.

Well, it has an application for autoimmune conditions like lupus too so it could be that. I hope you're right, because this is an idiotic move otherwise.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

This sounds like the iodine tablets all over again

Fr.Bigley

It's cheaper if you bulk buy, you say hydroxychloroquine, I say a Costco party tray of sandwiches, four pirelli F1 tyres fully fitted and enough shit rag to service a stoma ward. It just makes financial sense in the long run.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 20, 2020, 02:32:55 PM
It's cheaper if you bulk buy, you say hydroxychloroquine, I say a Costco party tray of sandwiches, four pirelli F1 tyres fully fitted and enough shit rag to service a stoma ward. It just makes financial sense in the long run.

Captain Z

"What about Hydroxychloroquine?"

"Whatever"

phantom_power

Trump is the Jude Law character in Contagion, but instead of being some shitty internet journalist trying to capitalise on a pandemic it is the fucking president

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA trial to see whether two anti-malarial drugs could prevent Covid-19 has begun in Brighton and Oxford.

Chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine or a placebo will be given to more than 40,000 healthcare workers from Europe, Africa, Asia and South America.

All the participants are staff who are in contact with Covid-19 patients.

So now we are trying whatever Trump suggests?

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 21, 2020, 08:41:59 AM
So now we are trying whatever Trump suggests?

yes that's definitely the reason we've bought trump's hate medicine

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteSeriously ill Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were more likely to die or develop dangerous heart arrhythmias, according to a large observational study published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet.

Researchers looked at data from more than 96,000 Covid-19 patients from 671 hospitals. All were hospitalized from late December to mid-April and had died or been discharged by April 21. Just below 15,000 were treated with the antimalarial drugs hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, or one of those drugs combined with an antibiotic.
Those treatments were linked with a higher risk of dying in the hospital, the study found. About 1 in 6 patients treated with chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone died in the hospital, compared to 1 in 11 patients in the control group...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/22/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Fambo Number Mive

I didn't realise France has been using it. They've now stopped doing so.

QuoteThe French government has said doctors are no longer allowed to use hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus patients after two advisory bodies said it could pose serious health risks.

The drug, normally used to treat malaria, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, was promoted by French virologist Didier Raoult, who met President Emmanuel Macron to discuss its possibility as a treatment for Covid-19.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on May 21, 2020, 08:10:45 PM
yes that's definitely the reason we've bought trump's hate medicine

Well, it wasn't due to medical advice, is it good for eyesight perhaps?

idunnosomename

brendan o'neill chugs a yard of it on This Week to own the libs