Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:15:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dogshit Tier TV Theme Remixes

Started by Pseudopath, May 20, 2020, 12:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 21, 2020, 03:39:52 PM(Power Themes 90)

I think Power Themes 90 came off the back of the Thunderbirds Are Go! single, a dance remix that got in the charts.

Some genuinely fantastic 90s graphic design there

My memory of Power Themes 90 is that most of it was cobblers apart from The Prisoner remix, which managed to make quite an awkward signature tune into a serviceable groove, plus featured a pre-jungle General Levy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFs1RgmqLBo

Brundle-Fly

I love the orchestral synth stabs. Reminiscent of Paul Hardcastle's The Wizard TOTP theme.

I wasn't familiar with this early 90s phenomenon. Were all of these artists taking inspiration from "Doctorin' the Tardis" and dog-eared copies of How to Have a #1 Hit the Easy Way?

Brundle-Fly

Not really. It's just in the tradition of novelty cover versions of film/tv theme tunes that's been going on for years. eg: The U Roys reggae version of Coronation Street, Banana Splits by The Dickies, Dr Who theme by Mankind, etc

the

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 21, 2020, 05:08:35 PMI wasn't familiar with this early 90s phenomenon. Were all of these artists taking inspiration from "Doctorin' the Tardis" and dog-eared copies of How to Have a #1 Hit the Easy Way?
Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 21, 2020, 05:33:50 PMNot really. It's just in the tradition of novelty cover versions of film/tv theme tunes that's been going on for years. eg: The U Roys reggae version of Coronation Street, Banana Splits by The Dickies, Dr Who theme by Mankind, etc

Neither really - there was a massive resurgence of interest in Thunderbirds and other 60s TV just before the turn of the 90s. This was part of that.

BBC2 had started showing Thunderbirds again, and the model Tracy Island became a hugely popular toy in the shops (around this time, Blue Peter also showed you how to make one out of an old carburettor and discarded Wotsits). Other shows turned up again, most of the Gerry Anderson stuff turned up on BBC2 and a lot of the old ITV stuff (like The Avengers) on Channel 4.

This awful Top Gear theme during the Jason Barlow wilderness years:

https://youtu.be/p0DqSCEbDbo

In a similar vein, the BBC had a motor sports magazine programme called Motormonth which was supposed to fill the void left by the F1 going to ITV. It had an absolutely dog-shit remix of The Chain, but I can't find it anywhere.

buzby

Quote from: the on May 21, 2020, 04:06:26 PM
My memory of Power Themes 90 is that most of it was cobblers apart from The Prisoner remix, which managed to make quite an awkward signature tune into a serviceable groove, plus featured a pre-jungle General Levy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFs1RgmqLBo
I always preferred Liverpool-based almost-rans Alternative Radio's dance reworking of the Prisoner theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcLfvILtdUw

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the on May 21, 2020, 07:41:18 PM
Neither really - there was a massive resurgence of interest in Thunderbirds and other 60s TV just before the turn of the 90s. This was part of that.

BBC2 had started showing Thunderbirds again, and the model Tracy Island became a hugely popular toy in the shops (around this time, Blue Peter also showed you how to make one out of an old carburettor and discarded Wotsits). Other shows turned up again, most of the Gerry Anderson stuff turned up on BBC2 and a lot of the old ITV stuff (like The Avengers) on Channel 4.

The beginning of that decade was quite Gen X-ers nostalgia-driven. Nostalgic for an era when we were mostly toddlers but 1970s TV schedules were crammed with repeats from the sixties.  So: Daisy Age, Dee-Lite/ house music video psychedelics, hip hop tracks sampling Bewitched, I Dream Of Genie and old Quincy Jones numbers. As the says, BBC2 and C4 were repeating these old TV shows: The Invaders, Land Of The Giants, Star Trek.. etc TV series turned into movies: The Brady Bunch, Addams Family, Dragnet, .etc. All this leading up to Britpop and Austin Powers: Man Of Mystery (1997) which drew it all to a close until Mad Men came along ten years later.
What was it Adamski said? The 90s are the 60s upside down. This wasn't strictly true as we would've actually been reminiscing about 2006 that hadn't happened yet: eg:- Gnarls Barkley, Lily Allen and Borat.

Bobby Treetops

Can't find this anywhere but I remember a gabber track from the mid 2000s that sampled the Catchphrase music and Roy Walker saying 'Say what you see'. Can anyone help?

the

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 22, 2020, 10:01:55 AMThe beginning of that decade was quite Gen X-ers nostalgia-driven. Nostalgic for an era when we were mostly toddlers but 1970s TV schedules were crammed with repeats from the sixties.  So: Daisy Age, Dee-Lite/ house music video psychedelics, hip hop tracks sampling Bewitched, I Dream Of Genie and old Quincy Jones numbers. As the says, BBC2 and C4 were repeating these old TV shows: The Invaders, Land Of The Giants, Star Trek.. etc TV series turned into movies: The Brady Bunch, Addams Family, Dragnet, .etc. All this leading up to Britpop and Austin Powers: Man Of Mystery (1997) which drew it all to a close until Mad Men came along ten years later.
What was it Adamski said? The 90s are the 60s upside down. This wasn't strictly true as we would've actually been reminiscing about 2006 that hadn't happened yet: eg:- Gnarls Barkley, Lily Allen and Borat.

It's just that ever-present phenomenon of 'things from about 18-20 years ago becoming in vogue again'. The 70s obsession with 50s rock n roll. The 80s resurgence of Motown. 70s fashions coming back in the early 90s. The mid-late 90s obsession with kitsch 70s stuff like kung-fu films and easy listening. Around the turn of the millennium, people started making 80s sounding music again. People are wearing round spectacles again (which were previously in fashion in the early 90s) and kids are watching Friends. On and on it goes.

Though the internet has disrupted it a bit now because the past can be summoned at the tap of keyword, the past is alive in the present more than during those previous revivals (when the past would exist more in memory and artifacts from the original time). But there's something about 20-ish years being a standard human measurement of cultural time. The distance the past needs to break free of the gravitational pull of the present, go through a phase of being hated and then become its own distinct, missed, stylish thing (as well as 'conveniently misremembered'). Though it goes without saying, there are exceptions of course.

It's also worth saying - with a lot of the TV shows you mentioned, they were probably quite cheap to repeat, so never underestimate the role of thrift in bringing the past alive again.

imitationleather

Quote from: the on May 22, 2020, 11:15:56 AM
People are wearing round spectacles again (which were previously in fashion in the early 90s)

The style for teenagers and students at the mo appears to be a faithful reproduction of early '90s rave attire. Tiedye trousers, big fleeces and bucket hats. On the one hand I think it looks very cool, but on the other there's a massive disconnect because these kids are not going to parties and getting massively out of their boxes on all the drugs like they should be. Which is a shame.

Uncle TechTip

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on May 22, 2020, 10:17:04 AM
Can't find this anywhere but I remember a gabber track from the mid 2000s that sampled the Catchphrase music and Roy Walker saying 'Say what you see'. Can anyone help?

I think I heard Peel play this, in the mid 00s, and believe it was called 'It's Good But It's Not What We're Looking For'. Can't find anything using Google except for something by Audiowhore and it definitely isn't that. Good luck.

buzby

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on May 22, 2020, 03:58:42 PM
I think I heard Peel play this, in the mid 00s, and believe it was called 'It's Good But It's Not What We're Looking For'. Can't find anything using Google except for something by Audiowhore and it definitely isn't that. Good luck.
Are you sure? Peel played the The Audiowhores 'It's Good But It's Not Right' track on his 11/09/2003 and 11/03/2004 shows. According to the blurb for the EP it was featured on, it was recorded i two hours for a radio session.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: buzby on May 22, 2020, 09:24:01 PM
Are you sure? Peel played the The Audiowhores 'It's Good But It's Not Right' track on his 11/09/2003 and 11/03/2004 shows. According to the blurb for the EP it was featured on, it was recorded i two hours for a radio session.

That's the one! Cheers Buzby and Noddy Tomkey.

More Breakcore than Gabber on the first listen for over 16 years, but I like it. I must have heard this on Peel all those years ago.

Now to find the Sasha mixtape from the early 90s with the pill'd up MC coming out with such gems as 'Music with Feelings...Feelings on a Friday night" and "Feel the Energy...Rush Up To Your Brain"

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on May 22, 2020, 09:34:29 PM
That's the one! Cheers Buzby and Noddy Tomkey.

More Breakcore than Gabber on the first listen for over 16 years, but I like it. I must have heard this on Peel all those years ago.

Now to find the Sasha mixtape from the early 90s with the pill'd up MC coming out with such gems as 'Music with Feelings...Feelings on a Friday night" and "Feel the Energy...Rush Up To Your Brain"

Do you remember the names of any tracks off the mix?

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 23, 2020, 12:34:42 AM
Do you remember the names of any tracks off the mix?

Don't really remember any of the tracks on this tape although this may have had an Italian DJ with a mix from the same rave on the other side (it was a better mix so I listened to this more at the time). Also the pill'd up MC starts singing the 'Ecstasy you've really got me going' at some point, even through 'Rushing The House' (or rather the Ian Rush track) isn't played.

I wish I had all my old tapes, I had about three or four bags worth of DJ mixtapes as well as stuff I'd taped off South London pirate radio stations from about '90 to '95, but my mum throw it all out years ago. Fucking bitch
Spoiler alert
Not really mum
[close]

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 21, 2020, 08:25:50 PM
This awful Top Gear theme during the Jason Barlow wilderness years:

Worth it just for this smug cunt in his MkII Ibiza:
https://youtu.be/p0DqSCEbDbo?t=9

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on May 23, 2020, 08:41:23 AM
Don't really remember any of the tracks on this tape although this may have had an Italian DJ with a mix from the same rave on the other side (it was a better mix so I listened to this more at the time). Also the pill'd up MC starts singing the 'Ecstasy you've really got me going' at some point, even through 'Rushing The House' (or rather the Ian Rush track) isn't played.

I wish I had all my old tapes, I had about three or four bags worth of DJ mixtapes as well as stuff I'd taped off South London pirate radio stations from about '90 to '95, but my mum throw it all out years ago. Fucking bitch
Spoiler alert
Not really mum
[close]

This?

https://www.discogs.com/Sasha-Giulio-Cesare-Ministry-Of-Sound-Tour-93/release/2416008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRR5ypVtVqY

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: buzby on May 22, 2020, 09:24:01 PM

Thanks buz, I didn't listen to the whole Audiowhores track. It really gets going doesn't it!