Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Prince & The Revolution: Live (1985)

Started by DrGreggles, May 20, 2020, 12:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

https://youtu.be/KRa8ZH_iOXo

The Prince Estate, in partnership with Warner Records, have released the live audio of Prince and the Revolution: Live, a historic concert captured at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY on March 30, 1985. The audio from the concert has been remastered by longtime Prince mastering engineer Bernie Grundman, and is available officially in digital format for the first time across all streaming and download partners beginning today. https://lnk.to/PrinceLACD

Exclusive Prince inspired face coverings are now available in the Official Store.  For each mask purchased, The Prince Estate will donate one to communities in need - https://lnk.to/PurpleRainStore

In collaboration with YouTube and Google, this streaming event will run in support of the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund for the World Health Organization (powered by UN Foundation and Swiss Philanthropy Foundation). Any viewer donations will include a matching component from Google (Google.org will match $2 for every $1 up to $5 million).

Sin Agog

I've been really, really trying to get into Prince over the last couple of years, but the only album that just about clicks for me is Around the World in a Day (mostly thanks to Raspberry Beret and Paisley Park).  Iunno what it is.  Sometimes with certain folk who people proclaim a melodic genius, the tunes sound far more like an amelodic, weedy drone to my bizarro ears and I can't square it.  Again though, Raspberry Beret is most bangersome.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 20, 2020, 01:27:52 PM
I've been really, really trying to get into Prince over the last couple of years, but the only album that just about clicks for me is Around the World in a Day (mostly thanks to Raspberry Beret and Paisley Park).  Iunno what it is.  Sometimes with certain folk who people proclaim a melodic genius, the tunes sound far more like an amelodic, weedy drone to my bizarro ears and I can't square it.  Again though, Raspberry Beret is most bangersome.

How interesting. That's one I'd be tempted to skip, though I do rate it.

I can't speak for Sign o' the Times as I haven't listened to it yet, but in my mind Dirty Mind and Purple Rain are stone cold classics - if they don't do anything for you then maybe it's just not your thing. Controversy is really good fun. 1999 is a bit frustrating because there are great songs but they're all too long. Parade is different but wonderful. The first side of Prince (1979) is sexy brilliance.

Prince is so good. I will watch the video in the OP when I get the chance. I would've loved to have seen the man and his band in their pomp: https://youtu.be/9Lgf2VU_M70

Sin Agog

There's something almost XTC-like about some of the beats on Around the World, plus he supposedly was dead into the theoretically neo-dayglo psyche of the Paisley Park scene, hence naming his version of Graceland that; it may have bled into the music a bit on that one.  Dirty Mind is...too skinny as funk.  It's got the libido but maybe not the fuzz, wah-wah and angry bass which lures me into the genre.  1999 I actually came close to liking as it's verging on that odd Around the World sound at times (I know it came first), but the later movie stuff might as well be Peter Gabriel or something.  I reckon 1999 could become something for me with a few more listens, but bloody hell it all reminds me of the days when I actually bought albums and forced myself to understand them to justify the investment. I thought it'd be easier work, like all these undisputed Beret-esque bangers with the occasional passable mawkish ballad.  Yeah, he's probably not really for me, but there is certainly something there for me to put in all this effort.

Golden E. Pump

That version of 'Purple Rain' though.

Of course I love the studio albums, but I also think he's significantly better live if you haven't given that a go. Much more dynamic and you really get a sense of his musical genius, whereas even on his biggest studio albums there's an overlay of him fiddling about in the studio.

Dewt

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 20, 2020, 02:27:42 PM
I can't speak for Sign o' the Times as I haven't listened to it yet, but in my mind Dirty Mind and Purple Rain are stone cold classics - if they don't do anything for you then maybe it's just not your thing.
I wouldn't say that. I love Prince but I find Purple Rain to be boring as all hell. It's a droning anthem like Free Fallin' to me (okay it is better than Free Fallin').

Sin: Try the album The Gold Experience. It's probably not a popular suggestion but it seems like it might appeal to you.

Golden E. Pump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vxcSaTDVWE

This sounds like it's from another world. A world where I'd much rather be in these present times.

thugler

Damn, I'd suggest Lovesexy, Parade, Sign o the Times, 1999.

None of them sound like Around the world really, except in a few places, but they're all amazing. In fact, I always thought of 'starfish and coffee' as a bit of a raspbery beret sister song.

Also the 3cd Bootleg 'The Dawn' which is a comp of songs (mostly alternative versions and stuff not on the album) from 1992-1995 which I've really been enjoying lately.