Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:44:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rees-Mogg wants MPs back in House of Commons

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 20, 2020, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The government don't want MPs to be able to appear in the House of Commons via videolink when Parliament returns on June 2nd.

A recess is due to happen today - one would have thought that given the current situation the recess should be delayed until Britain is on top of the coronavirus, although that doesn't seem to be likely for some time.

Rees-Mogg wanted plastic screens to be installed to allow more MPs in the chamber, according to the Murdoch Times.

Whilst Rees-Mogg claims that the current setup does not allow MPs to do their job properly, I haven't seen any evidence of this. The only benefit of scrapping the current rules would be for the government - it would make it easier to pack out the benches behind the blond bum-hole with braying Tory MPs and would make it less easy for SNP MPs and MPs from the north to ask questions as they'd need to travel further on petri dishes on rails, making it more likely that those in the chamber would be Home Counties Tories. I think Ian Blackford is good at PMQs and making it harder for him to ask questions would help the Tories.

Isn't making people travel to London from across the UK when they could work via videolink unnecessary travel?

dissolute ocelot

It's like the endless debates over allowing MPs to have maternity leave, or have a proxy vote if they're sick. The party leaders want people there, walking into the voting lobbies, so the whips can keep an eye on them. Even if it takes 2 hours to fill the lobbies which have to be extended to the size of Wembley Stadium due to social distancing rules. MPs can't be trusted to vote online.

On the other hand, MPs can't be trusted to stop bullying or fondling their assistants, which you would have thought was a good argument for remote working, but nobody cares about that.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I think it's a great idea. Let them smush into the chamber. They can all breathe in the COVID-y fumes from Boris's bumhole and die.

jobotic

https://twitter.com/HenrySmithUK/status/1263394101002674176

I do like the idea of it being full of no one but Tories braying and spittling into each others' faces though, without a leftist to be seen.

Another Brexiter, of course.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: jobotic on May 21, 2020, 02:04:00 PM
https://twitter.com/HenrySmithUK/status/1263394101002674176

I do like the idea of it being full of no one but Tories braying and spittling into each others' faces though, without a leftist to be seen.

Another Brexiter, of course.
oh my god he is getting rekt