Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New music coming from Lorde.

Started by Dusty Substance, May 20, 2020, 03:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Although I was late to the Lorde party, having only got into her late last year, I've quickly become a huge fan. She's absolutely fucking brilliant and one of the most interesting artists on the planet - Combining the witchy aesthetic of Kate Bush and the weirdness of Bjork.

Pure Heroine is an astonishing debut and features some of the best songs I've ever heard about being young (she was 16 when she wrote and recorded it). Melodrama is a cracking follow-up, with some beautiful songs,  proving she's far from a one-off. The second album seemed to get more critical praise but I still prefer her debut.

She's been on hiatus since 2017, after releasing Melodrama, but she sent out an email last night promising new material soon. I'm a member of a couple of Lorde fangroups on Facebook and it's quite delightful to see her younger fans, dubbed "Ellaphants" (her real name is Ella), getting excited for a new album as they seem to think three years is an eternity between albums.

There must be some Lorde fans on CaB. Any thoughts on what you'd like to hear from the new album?

Hat FM

masssssive fan of melodrama which i only really listened to after hearing her speak on wtf pod. really should get round to listening to the first album as i never really bothered. i've heard royals but that is pretty much it.

Dex Sawash

Like 1st album love Tennis Court, yeah.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Hat FM on May 22, 2020, 03:29:01 PM
masssssive fan of melodrama which i only really listened to after hearing her speak on wtf pod. really should get round to listening to the first album as i never really bothered. i've heard royals but that is pretty much it.

If you like Melodrama then you're in for a treat with Pure Heroine. A cracking debut.

Cheers for the heads up on her being on WTF. I listened to it the other night and loved it!

sevendaughters

First album seemed to capture some kind of social, if not musical, zeitgeist but the follow up was disappointing and generic arms-aloft pop. Will always have a soft spot for Royals as it was a huge hit when I was in California and was literally the only thing on the radio I could listen to.

Dusty Substance

Bumping this year old thread because Lorde's back, baby!

There had been rumours that her new song was imminent, then the enigmatic Kiwi updated her website for the first time in a year, there was an apparent leak of the new tune during the week, then at 11pm she dropped her new single 'Solar Power': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsP_lzh2-8

This lead song is immediately different to the cold and bitter break up opus Melodrama from 2017. Even though the title was inspired by a trip to Antarctica, 'Solar Power' is 100% a sunny Summer song, sounding somewhere between Joni Mitchell's 'Big Yellow Taxi' and George Michael's 'Freedom'.

Pauline Walnuts

I taint a fan of the artwork.

(assuming that actually is the cover of the album, dunno)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 11, 2021, 11:02:42 AM
(assuming that actually is the cover of the album, dunno)

It is. I also questioned it at first as it seemed totally out of character for Lorde to appear so daring, butt it is her.

Good luck trying to get that cover past the censors in Saudi and China.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 11, 2021, 11:11:08 AM

Good luck trying to get that cover past the censors in Saudi and China.

I'm sure they'll biff over that bridge when they get there.

That's all I've got.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 20, 2020, 03:16:02 PM

The second album seemed to get more critical praise but I still prefer her debut.

In the year since my OP, I've grown to not only prefer Melodrama to Pure Heroine, it's become on my all time favourite albums. I still find it incredible to think she did co-wrote, co-produced and recorded an album as mature as Melodrama when she was just 19/20.

It might be a grower, but I'm initially a little underwhelmed by Solar Power. It's a perfectly fine summery pop song but it seems a step down from Melodrama, mostly because her first two albums really sounded like nothing that had come before but the new single is relatively derivative.

Having said that, Green Light, the lead single from Melodrama, wasn't exactly indicative of the album to follow so I won't judge an entire album I haven't heard on just the first single.