Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Raiden Fighters Jet

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 20, 2020, 09:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

I decided to start playing some shmups again after finding them too stressful over the last couple of months. Raiden Fighters Jet has been such a great way to blow away the cobwebs.

I would really really recommend it for anyone who wants something easy to pick up and play, not really any micro dodging through bullet hell patterns (albeit I love that), not really any routing or any of that, just dead fast blasting and dodging, lots of explosions and power ups and pick ups and bombs and crunchy sound effects, banging 90s Japanese techno.

I got the ALL2 clear for anyone interested in checking out the game. Absolute banger.

https://youtu.be/2qx-5sgz-2s

Just looked it up on steam and it's the dreaded dotemu (hack, spit).
I've got it on shmupmame though, I'll have to fire it up tomorrow and give it a blast. Will watch your video later on, that'll be a nice primer :D

madhair60

Are you gonna pick up Shmup Collection on Switch? Three really good Astro Port bangers for about fifteen quid I think.

Kelvin

This looks like exactly my sort of shmup; not quite a bullet hell, but still enough insanity going on as to be satisfying. Wish it was on Switch, what are you playing it on? Emulator?

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 20, 2020, 10:10:15 PM
Just looked it up on steam and it's the dreaded dotemu (hack, spit).
I've got it on shmupmame though, I'll have to fire it up tomorrow and give it a blast. Will watch your video later on, that'll be a nice primer :D

Well worth a romp, I reckon you'll already be well up to speed after your Psikyo exploits!

Quote from: madhair60 on May 20, 2020, 10:12:13 PM
Are you gonna pick up Shmup Collection on Switch? Three really good Astro Port bangers for about fifteen quid I think.

They look quite cheap and cheerful. I've bought plenty worse so I'll defo take a punt at some point. Kind of not playing that much Switch at the moment, though, or shmups, as I say. Normally, I'd have been there day one even if I thought they were probably shite.

Quote from: Kelvin on May 20, 2020, 10:16:31 PM
This looks like exactly my sort of shmup; not quite a bullet hell, but still enough insanity going on as to be satisfying. Wish it was on Switch, what are you playing it on? Emulator?

Playing on the 360, in fact, but very easily emulated if you have anything with Retroarch on it, I believe. If you have a PC at all, MAME would be best.

If you like the style, I would recommend some of the Psikyo shmups from the other thread near the top of the page. They're much more about dodging and blasting and bombing and holding on to your power ups. Their very best are Gunbird 2 and Dragon Blaze, and they probably cost about six quid each. Both very similar, equally great fun.

This is much more playful than what my idea of raiden games led me to expect. Way less straight laced.

I'm digging the look of it. Very amiga, that first stage reminds me of chaos engine with all the grey knocking about and the pastel shade cartoony sprites. It seems like a lovely balance, you've got the macho grey tanks but you can also play as a little blue dragon.

Those bombs, man. Fantastic!
Not quite up there with the Toaplan style hell raising giant skulls, but for impact, that's an excellent, judicious use of screen shake. Take note, indie developers.

Looking forward to diving into this properly tomorrow. I did a double take at that ship selection!
Proper batrider style fighting game roster. Taking the red, blue, green, big tits, little tits convention and pushing it straight out the window.