Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quarantine for alienating comedy opinions

Started by Clownbaby, May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

sealed underground bunker for hot takes to be dumped but not debated. just a pure steaming airtight dump. this probably won't work
There's a few comedy serieses and comedians that are kind of untouchable either cause they're across the board considered brilliant or across the board considered filthy anus that you mustn't go near, either within the bubble of this whole forum or just in general. It's a bit of a minefield though if you see overwhelmingly positive/negative reception (reviews, friends, internet opinion) for something that you actually kind of feel the opposite about and then see the red mist descend as hundreds of Redditors see your timid lil comment saying you're not actually  that keen on Fawlty Towers and may god have mercy on your soul from then on out

Anyone fancy dropping their steaming comedy hot takes in this thread? I won't judge, even if someone says they hate Always Sunny. I promise. I'll fucking go first. Pure opinions. Here we go.

- I'm indifferent about Vic And Bob. I see the appeal. I loved Shooting Stars when I was little. When I see the guys, their faces are my childhood, i have a kind of affection for them but I always imagine their stuff being funnier than I actually find it when I watch it. I thought I'd love it just as much when I found it all on Youtube a few months ago, and I just didn't. I still liked it but once the nostalgia wore off I ran out of steam about watching it and got fed up. I didn't really like House of Fools, and I gave it a good go. It's NOT a jab at their ability as comedians and writers and their performances, they just make me laugh very sporadically when they seem to make everyone else laugh consistently. Also when Bob was on Taskmaster I didn't massively rate his tasks. Particularly the Coconut businessman one. Vic and Bob just don't tickle me the same as they seem to do so many people

- Same sentiment with Monty Python. The debate that most subsequent shows with any kind of surreal or absurd edge were probably influenced by Monty Python is true but just because a  show that I really enjoy was written by people who like Monty Python doesn't really mean I'm going to like Monty Python. Again it just does not make me laugh.

- Inside No.9 is obviously a beautifully made, well written, well acted and creative series for the most part and I live for everything else that Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton have done but I just can't get into it. It's odd because I get kind of excited when I see there's going to be more of it but I don't really enjoy them that much.

- Dunno if people kind of changed their minds a bit about Nathan Barley after it had been around for a while and people gave it a revisit but I liked it fine

- I haven't seen anyone say anywhere that they really liked Zoolander 2 but I did. I liked it just as much as the first one.

- Leigh Francis isn't that bad and I like Bo'Selecta. I also like Celebrity Juice and Through The Keyhole. I don't know what state they're in now but last time I had ITV2 blastin and Keith Lemon was on I was happy but I might have been very drunk

- I'm not sure how revered The Fast Show is across the board but I don't see many people anywhere saying they got bored of the very rigidly reliable sketches where the same exact joke happens each time with each episode. Every sketch show repeats a basic joke with each appearance of the sketch yeah but the sketches just feel a bit too similar with no progression or development at all right through the series, it's not a good one for binging. I don't think this would have been a problem when it was just on TV, one episode a week, though. Seeing all the episodes in one day kind of made me notice the formula. It's not just my young attention span or a thing of sketch shows of that time either. Other sketch shows, many others, managed to keep the ideas fresh

- I always see a lot of love for Green Wing but I honestly really did not like it. Not one bit. No.

- I love Cardinal Burns

- Rick and Morty is boring wanky smug annoying shit but everyone I know always says "Clownbaby I know what you'd like. You'd like Rick and Morty. It's totally your humour just wait and see"

Sebastian Cobb

DrGreggles

Only Fools & Horses is shit.
It's Bread for cockneys.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Cold Meat Platter

Seinfeld is total tramp's spunk. Oh, the characters are meant to be unlikable? Well, congratulations. They are also unfunny.
Dogshit.

idunnosomename

the office was shit, late on the bandwagon for spoofing fly-on-the-walls, essentially a vehicle for Gervais to play himself and be a cunt

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I still watch Family Guy even though I know it's garbage and I don't really understand why I keep watching it.

I bounce off Seinfield so hard, maybe it's time I gave it another try.
I like curb, but, I don't know, maybe I just don't warm to any of the characters.

edit:
Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 21, 2020, 12:10:24 AM
Seinfeld is total tramp's spunk. Oh, the characters are meant to be unlikable? Well, congratulations. They are also unfunny.
Dogshit.

well, there it is.

I keep seeing people raving about Rick and Morty. I watched a compilation of highlights on youtube, probably not the best idea, but my face has never been stonier.

I liked Nathan for you, but the way some people go on about, it feels like I watched a different show at times. Especially that final episode.

Clownbaby

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 21, 2020, 12:14:56 AM
I bounce off Seinfield so hard, maybe it's time I gave it another try.
I like curb, but, I don't know, maybe I just don't warm to any of the characters.

edit:
well, there it is.

I keep seeing people raving about Rick and Morty. I watched a compilation of highlights on youtube, probably not the best idea, but my face has never been stonier.

I liked Nathan for you, but the way some people go on about, it feels like I watched a different show at times. Especially that final episode.

Rick And Morty man, I'm with you there. I'm going to add it to my original post. Fucking Rick and Morty. Big fat anus is what it is

jsgibble

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM
- Dunno if people kind of changed their minds a bit about Nathan Barley after it had been around for a while and people gave it a revisit but I liked it fine

I actually just rewatched it the other day and enjoyed it slightly more than I did when I first saw it. It's not great but it was interesting seeing the contempt for a type of person who would've looked up to Morris and Brooker's stuff.

Egyptian Feast

Farts are funny. People who get angry and dismissive about fart humour are also funny, but not as funny as farts.

Chriddof

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 21, 2020, 12:14:56 AM

Yeah, I'm the same. More recently they had a cameo with Elon pissing Musk. The only Rick & Morty thing I like is the April Fool's Australian episode, which is basically a very very ultra-post-modern parody of the thing.

Staying with Adult Swim, I'm not the hugest fan of that chat show cunt who I forget the name of. He's weirdly obsessed with pranks, only they're a bit more surreal than what you got on Jackass. Also he has this thing where he will really fuck with guests who don't deserve being messed around with. There was that one woman who used to be in something like iCarly, and Wacky Chat Show Cunt is all up in her face being weird, and she looks like she's ready to thump him one. It just reminded me a bit of this part from Brass Eye. (I genuinely can't remember his name.)

Eric Andre. I'll leave it there since anything else I say might not be in the spirit of the thread, but yes, you've got a point :D

thenoise

Haven't seen either since transmission, but I though Harry Enfield's Television Programme was far better than The Fast Show.  There seems to be a lot more nostalgia for the latter than the former.

*deep breath*

Gavin and Stacey was ... ok.  It was gentle and sweet, and even mildly amusing in a comedy drama kind of way.

markburgle

I love Gavin and Stacey, great cast, great characters, and James Corden gets a lifetime pass from me for his hand in creating it. I love how the characters are all eccentrics without a shred of self consciousness, and are all totally non-judgemental of each other. Makes a change from all that comedy-of-embarassment.

Marner and Me

The Office - Either version Yanks can't do comedy
Gavin and Stacey
The Simpsons, just end it now, please.
Flight of the Concords

Jumblegraws

I don't think The Big Bang Theory is bad and have enjoyed it in the past when I watched it as a slumped-on-the-couch-after-work captive audience. I don't have any particular affection for the show but also don't really get why it's used as a benchmark for poor comedy taste. Everything else Chuck Lorre has made is as bad as everyone says, though.

Jockice

Done this one before many a time but I think Woody Allen is shit and Barry Humphries is even shitter. I totally fail to see why Philomena Cunk and Karl Pilkington are supposed to be funny and French and Saunders whether together or in their own shows have never ever made me laugh.

Obligatory (for all my fans) mentions of Frasier and The Young Ones. Not (as you may well believe) that I think either are totally terrible like the aforementioned lot, just very very overrated. And I never found Peter Cook particularly funny either. I pretended to laugh at Derek And Clive when I heard it as a teenager, but, well, it just isn't very good is it?

Shaky

I fucking hate Frasier. Totally arch, posed, self-regarding bollocks. Every fucking molecule of it is shit cubed. The wretched theme-music sung by Kelsey " Dennis Waterman" Grammar tells you everything you ever need to know about the contents of the episodes, ie: that they're horrible.

Gurke and Hare

Many allegedly classic 50s/60s radio comedies are rubbish, most notably:

The Navy Lark
Round the Horne
The Goons

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Marner and Me

Quote from: Jockice on May 21, 2020, 09:37:44 AM
Done this one before many a time but I think Woody Allen is shit and Barry Humphries is even shitter. I totally fail to see why Philomena Cunk and Karl Pilkington are supposed to be funny and French and Saunders whether together or in their own shows have never ever made me laugh.

Obligatory (for all my fans) mentions of Frasier and The Young Ones. Not (as you may well believe) that I think either are totally terrible like the aforementioned lot, just very very overrated. And I never found Peter Cook particularly funny either. I pretended to laugh at Derek And Clive when I heard it as a teenager, but, well, it just isn't very good is it?
My sister put this on saying it was some new edgy BBC comedy. That told me everything I needed to know about it.

notjosh

Never liked Tony Law. Just Ross Noble with a better haircut and jawline.

And this was before he was a racist (or whatever he is now, I can't remember), so you can imagine I feel pretty pleased with myself about that.

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM
- Rick and Morty is boring wanky smug annoying shit but everyone I know always says "Clownbaby I know what you'd like. You'd like Rick and Morty. It's totally your humour just wait and see"

I don't hate it but it's basically nihilist Futurama, and much less funny.

I really like Community at times, but Dan Harmon's whole story circle thing can fuck off. Cookie-cutter American nonsense which turns the end of every episode into a sub-Oprah psychotherapy snooze fest.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on May 21, 2020, 07:35:02 AM
Haven't seen either since transmission, but I though Harry Enfield's Television Programme was far better than The Fast Show.  There seems to be a lot more nostalgia for the latter than the former.

*deep breath*

Gavin and Stacey was ... ok.  It was gentle and sweet, and even mildly amusing in a comedy drama kind of way.

Everything Enfield has done has been too on the nose, there.

keir

I liked Rik Mayall but I don't understand the whole religion around him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Community is horrendously overrated. It's no better than The Big Bang Theory in all its US sitcom blandness, just with the occasional pomo meta bit thrown in. All of the characters are intensely annoying and self- satisfied and spend half their time going on and on about what fucking good friends they are. " Oh, we're all friends" " you're my best friend" " that's what's friendship is all about". They all started spouting this nauseating shit within 5 minutes of meeting each other, the annoying cunts. Jeff the Lawyer should have just retained his initial cynicism and disdain throughout the series, and should have told them all to get fucked, once he himself had fucked that Liv Tyler Except Blonde character, and should have fucked Alison Brie's drippy character too, for good measure. " We're all friends!". Fuck Off.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: keir on May 21, 2020, 10:07:12 AM
I liked Rik Mayall but I don't understand the whole religion around him.

That's another thing, Bottom is unfunny, badly written shit, too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

And Finchy would have twatted David Brent after he told him to fuck off.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 21, 2020, 12:13:15 AM
I still watch Family Guy even though I know it's garbage and I don't really understand why I keep watching it.

I stuck with it up until a year ago, not watching every episode but a fair few each year, persuading myself that the gag rate was high enough so that even though some jokes were hateful there were enough decent ones for it to be worth watching. But then there was that fucking awful episode with Herbert the paedophile who starts fancying Peter, thinking him to be a young boy, and Chris gets jealous and it was so abjectly shit I couldn't bare to watch another episode.