Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quarantine for alienating comedy opinions

Started by Clownbaby, May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I like 'Allo 'Allo so much I wrote fanfiction of it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

madhair60

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 22, 2020, 02:14:05 PM
The Peanuts comic strip is absolute nuclear grade dogshit. Utterly mystifying why anybody gives it the time of day. It's as bad and baffling as all those shit webcomics and is almost certainly entirely responsible for them, so in many ways is actually worse than Hitler.

wrong

Gurke and Hare

Arrested Development isn't all that. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I don't understand how it's become the big go-to comedy juggernaut thing that it has.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: notjosh on May 21, 2020, 08:49:53 PM
Mr Blobby is fucking hilarious

At the very start, when it was Edmonds inside the costume annoying celebs on the Gotchas it was legitimately good. It only went to complete shit when it came out of that setting.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 22, 2020, 02:14:05 PM
The Peanuts comic strip is absolute nuclear grade dogshit. Utterly mystifying why anybody gives it the time of day. It's as bad and baffling as all those shit webcomics and is almost certainly entirely responsible for them, so in many ways is actually worse than Hitler.

I wouldn't say it's dogshit, but it's status does mystify me. I think it's boomer-era nostalgia for the most part.

Having said that, it can be really good. A Charlie Brown Christmas is up there with the Muppet Christmas Carol.

Calvin and Hobbes is so, so, so much better overall though.

QDRPHNC

Season 5 of the Simpsons is where you could begin to see the elements creeping in that would eventually become it's downfall. And that downfall happened very fast, season 6 being terrible.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2020, 03:44:47 PM
Season 5 of the Simpsons is where you could begin to see the elements creeping in that would eventually become it's downfall. And that downfall happened very fast, season 6 being terrible.

Oh come on that's insane!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on May 22, 2020, 04:02:21 PM
Oh come on that's insane!

I'm not saying season 6 didn't make me laugh - Peep Show series 4 made me laugh - just that it's really bad compared to what came before, in terms of writing, characterization, wit and intelligence.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2020, 04:07:48 PM
I'm not saying season 6 didn't make me laugh - Peep Show series 4 made me laugh - just that it's really bad compared to what came before, in terms of writing, characterization, wit and intelligence.

Can't agree I'm afraid. Homer Badman, Lisa on Ice, Homer the Great, And Maggie makes three, A Star is Burns, Lemon of Troy are all from 6. All time great episodes.

QDRPHNC

Ok, Maggie Makes Three, yes, that's up there. The rest I would strongly disagree with calling them "all time great".

But anyway.

Old Nehamkin

I think that Peanuts is a victim of its own success in that it launched such a huge, pervasive merchandising empire that the characters became gradually softened into cutesey, inoffensive mascots and the franchise was subsequently embeded in most people's minds as a sort of loveable but mawkish greeting card brand, an image which continues to obscure the brilliance of the actual comic strip - which, for at least the first 20-25 years, was wildly inventive, gleefully surreal and beautifully melancholic.

I have a feeling that 20 years from now, the reverence that millenials and gen X-ers have for something like the Simpsons is going to seem as baffling to young people as Peanuts evidently does to many today, for similar reasons.

chveik

I'm no boomer at all and I still think Peanuts is wonderful. this thread's starting to piss me off

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

thenoise

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2020, 04:07:48 PM

It was far from it's prime when it ended, but I'd have been quite happy for them to keep churning out Peep Show every year, to ever diminishing returns.  I don't know why they kept having 3 year breaks between seasons, although they did seem to have enormous trouble getting their bit-part actors returning hence every mysteriously disappearing, Sophie having a look/actalike cousin/brother, etc.  Maybe if they offered regular work they may have shown a bit more dedication?
Also I would be fine with Peep Show carrying with Mark/Jez being a couple of middle aged/old men.  I know loads of people in their 40s/50s who are perpetually single and house share like students, it'll be even more common in 20 years.  Remember it was unthinkable that so many people would do it in their 30s a generation ago.  or maybe Mark could marry someone awful out of fear, and Jeremy can be their weird lodger.  There's many directions they could have taken it.

Mitchell/Webb the sketch show should have stayed on Radio 4 with all the other gentle inoffensive unfunny shite.  I don't care about Mitchell's posh rants on panel shows, and I don't care about Webb's weepy books or voiceover work.  Just gimme more Peep Show!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bronzy on May 22, 2020, 05:05:22 AM
Limmy is overrated and wouldn't be so highly regarded if Scottish comedy wasn't generally so utterly shite. (See also: Still Game)

On a closely related note, Scottish comedy standards are embarrassingly low and why most decent Scottish comedy people fuck off down south at the earliest opportunity.
Based on tweets I've seen from Limmy and Rabflorence, they make you go down to London a lot even if it's broadcast and presumably paid for by BBC Scotland.

earl_sleek

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on May 22, 2020, 08:46:14 AM
Don't get on with most of the "edgy" animated stuff from the last 10-15 years; Archer, Bojack Horseman, Rick & Morty, Big Mouth etc, just find most of it unpleasant and unfunny and often ugly to boot. "Oh but it's a searing and profound look at depression once you get past the first 20 episodes", zzzzzzz...

I've never managed to get into Bojack, and although I like Rick & Morty, I can see why others don't. But I don't think Archer has ever claimed to be "searing and profound", and Big Mouth has a heart as big as its... mouth.

earl_sleek

The only funny thing about Peep Show is Super Hans.

Blue Jam

I vastly prefer Futurama to The Simpsons

Josh Widdicombe is an excellent standup. I've seen him do 20 minutes at a few clubs and he's won me round every time.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 22, 2020, 05:53:03 PM
I vastly prefer Futurama to The Simpsons

Me too*

I think I prefer it because the characters are more varied and more likable. Bart and Lisa are both annoying as fuck.

*but only its original run. When it came back after being "cancelled", it was total shit.

mr. logic

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 22, 2020, 06:25:25 PM
Josh Widdicombe is an excellent standup. I've seen him do 20 minutes at a few clubs and he's won me round every time.

Don't know about this, but I think his football podcast is excellent.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 22, 2020, 06:25:25 PM
I don't doubt it.

Honestly, 20 minutes is the perfect length for a stand up set. 40 minutes for an extended set. Hour long sets are more miss than hit.

Ornlu

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 22, 2020, 09:59:51 AM
Arrested Development Season 4 is a masterpiece.

It's better than Series 3.

Spiral King

Probably a bit obvious, but I enjoy Blue Jam more than brassEYE. Not that brassEYE is bad at all, but it's a "White Album > Sgt. Pepper" situation.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 22, 2020, 04:29:40 PM
I think that Peanuts is a victim of its own success in that it launched such a huge, pervasive merchandising empire that the characters became gradually softened into cutesey, inoffensive mascots and the franchise was subsequently embeded in most people's minds as a sort of loveable but mawkish greeting card brand, an image which continues to obscure the brilliance of the actual comic strip - which, for at least the first 20-25 years, was wildly inventive, gleefully surreal and beautifully melancholic.

I have a feeling that 20 years from now, the reverence that millenials and gen X-ers have for something like the Simpsons is going to seem as baffling to young people as Peanuts evidently does to many today, for similar reasons.

I've been collecting the nice hardback editions and there's a bit in one of the introductions (can't remember which one or who it was by) where it's discussed that Schulz really regretted drawing a certain strip which ends with Charlie Brown hugging Snoopy and thinking 'Happiness is a warm hug', because he felt in later years that that was the beginning of people viewing Peanuts as a cutesy folksy heartwarming cartoon, instead of the honest and often brutal depiction of loneliness and failure.

Retinend

Jockice

Quote from: Kryton on May 22, 2020, 08:35:12 AM
Not having that. His books, his standalone shows and MMM are very good. In fact the new writers have breathed fresh air into his character.

I thought they were good until that last TV series, which I totally lost interest in about halfway through and have still never seen to the end. In fact I have a feeling I even deleted them from my Sky Plus. I was all excited about it beforehand too. Alan Partridge is dead to me now.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Does Bill Bryson  count for inclusion in 'ere? I'm going to assume so, as he's a supposedly " humorous" writer.
Anyway, he's an annoying cunt who thinks writing about mundane things in mundane details and pointing out the mundanity of the mundane things is funny and not just fucking annoying and cuntish, and he clearly makes things up when  he writes about things like when he's off on his travels round England, cos probably nothing remotely amusing happens to him, people probably see him walking down the streets of Hove or whatever, and clock his fucking beard and fucking glasses and think " Oh, there's that cunt Bill Bryson, I'm avoiding that cunt , right enough", so nothing even remotely interesting or amusing or engaging ever happens to him, the writing about mundane things in a mundane manner cunt.