Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quarantine for alienating comedy opinions

Started by Clownbaby, May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 05:32:45 PM
Based on tweets I've seen from Limmy and Rabflorence, they make you go down to London a lot even if it's broadcast and presumably paid for by BBC Scotland.

Judging by this guy's experience, it sounds as if BBC Scotland don't really have a high opinion of their own audience:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2016/05/22/24926/bbc_scotland_has_contempt_for_its_comedy_audience

I concede that it's possibly a little from column A, a little from column B when it comes to whether BBC Scotland just force pish down our throats or whether it's because a lot of working-class Scottish folk just genuinely dislike "intellectual" humour. [nb]I should add that I don't think there's anything wrong with lowbrow humour, it's often what tickles me the most. I just think it's a little patronising to give Scottish people the shittest form of that and basically nothing else. [/nb]I think the latter isn't that true though, as I'm sure there's plenty of working-class people up here who love Chris Morris and Stewart Lee etc.

Andy147

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 22, 2020, 08:20:55 PM
I've been collecting the nice hardback editions and there's a bit in one of the introductions (can't remember which one or who it was by) where it's discussed that Schulz really regretted drawing a certain strip which ends with Charlie Brown hugging Snoopy and thinking 'Happiness is a warm hug', because he felt in later years that that was the beginning of people viewing Peanuts as a cutesy folksy heartwarming cartoon, instead of the honest and often brutal depiction of loneliness and failure.

It was Lucy hugging Snoopy and saying "Happiness is a warm puppy" (25 April 1960 ).

There were a few follow-ups: 20 June 1964, 11 January 1965, 15 January 1966, and various other "Happiness is..." strips.

Icehaven

Quote from: thenoise on May 22, 2020, 05:26:48 PM
It was far from it's prime when it ended, but I'd have been quite happy for them to keep churning out Peep Show every year, to ever diminishing returns.  I don't know why they kept having 3 year breaks between seasons, although they did seem to have enormous trouble getting their bit-part actors returning hence every mysteriously disappearing, Sophie having a look/actalike cousin/brother, etc.  Maybe if they offered regular work they may have shown a bit more dedication?
Also I would be fine with Peep Show carrying with Mark/Jez being a couple of middle aged/old men.  I know loads of people in their 40s/50s who are perpetually single and house share like students, it'll be even more common in 20 years.  Remember it was unthinkable that so many people would do it in their 30s a generation ago.  or maybe Mark could marry someone awful out of fear, and Jeremy can be their weird lodger.  There's many directions they could have taken it.

Mitchell/Webb the sketch show should have stayed on Radio 4 with all the other gentle inoffensive unfunny shite.  I don't care about Mitchell's posh rants on panel shows, and I don't care about Webb's weepy books or voiceover work.  Just gimme more Peep Show!

I agree with this one millon %. I genuinely want to watch Mark and Jeremy get old and weird together, however crap it is.

Clownbaby

Quote from: thenoise on May 22, 2020, 05:26:48 PM
Remember it was unthinkable that so many people would do it in their 30s a generation ago.  or maybe Mark could marry someone awful out of fear, and Jeremy can be their weird lodger.  There's many directions they could have taken it.

YES

jobotic

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2020, 03:39:31 PM
I wouldn't say it's dogshit, but it's status does mystify me. I think it's boomer-era nostalgia for the most part.

Having said that, it can be really good. A Charlie Brown Christmas is up there with the Muppet Christmas Carol.

Calvin and Hobbes is so, so, so much better overall though.

Calvin and Hobbes is wonderful. Discovered it about twenty years ago after loving Peanuts as a kid. They're not comparable. I mean, they are, obviously - Calvin and Hobbes and CB and Snoopy - but they are very different.

there's nothing saccharine about Charlie Brown's depression, anything about Peppermint Patty and Marcie, Franklin...disappointment, unrequited love...ffs.

There's also nothing as funny as Spaceman Spiff or the time Calvin cloned himself. Actually maybe when Patty brained herself climbing over the stadium wall to get free baseball caps then tried to make her own ones. And there were a couple of C&H strips that I thought were far too similar too peanuts strips for my liking.

Poobum

I think Impractical Jokers is really funny, and has made me cry laugh, and all the men in the show are really nice and funny.

I don't like Nathan for You, as I find it painfully uncomfortable to watch. I agree that the treats are real treats, but I ain't grubbing around in a manure pile to get my toffee apples.

PeasOnSticks

Stewart Lee - knows how to put a show together, but just not very funny. Apart from those interview bits with Chris Morris.

Fast Show - yeah, just too repetitive and cathphrase-y. Down the Line way better.

Monty Python - the 13-year old me thought they were great. The gnarled old me finds them irritating and too self-conscious/self-satisfied with the surreal stuff.

Woody Allen was mentioned a while back. 'Take the Money and Run' is a brilliant comedy film, but he was never as funny after that, though some films have their moments. The books of prose pieces ('Getting Even,' 'Without Feathers,' 'Side Effects') are very funny, too. He's been churning out mostly dreadful shite for the last 20 years.

Non-Spinal Tap Christopher Guest films have all been a bit of a disappointment.

The Goon Show - often spoken of with reverence, but doesn't seem all that to me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 21, 2020, 03:36:16 PM
There are a few sitcoms that are just as good as Yes Minister but only one or two that are better. It's great.

I think it's a great piece of writing and it's genuinely dispiriting how much of it's poignant (much like Billy Bragg's Ideology really), but I reckon The Thick of It has made me laugh more.

Hacker's accurate description of the papers, which more-or-less still holds true, followed by Bernard's appraisal of The Sun is the best thing ever though.

Some comedies age like fine wine, while others age like tramp's piss. Blazing Saddles is extremely dated and unfunny these days.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 23, 2020, 02:57:11 AM
Some comedies age like fine wine, while others age like tramp's piss. Blazing Saddles is extremely dated and unfunny these days.

I have never laughed at a Mel Brooks film, not even Young Frankenstein. I think Mel Brooks himself is a very funny man, but I'd rather listen to him being interviewed than watch one of his laborious comedy romps.

famethrowa

Bad Education is funny as fuck and really well paced and put together.

The alleged child molester Woody Allen is one of the greatest comedians and filmmakers of all time. An actual genius.

He's also, at the very least, a seedy weirdo creep.

That's probably not a very controversial opinion.

I don't care for Zelig. Forrest Gump was better at this sort of thing. In fact I consider Forrest Gump to be the thinking man's Zelig.

Zelig is the thinking person's Forrest Gump. My opinion is the exact opposite of your opinion. So there.

paruses

Beavis and Butthead was tiring and unfunny.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Retinend on May 22, 2020, 11:48:42 AM
Bill Hicks gives me a really nasty vibe. Vain, phoney, and apathetic. I can't really rationalise it since I like plenty of their comedians that are not classically "nice".

Yes, that's a good description in my view.

There's something about his performance that feels like he is using them. A desperation to be noticed that directs a manic performance yet exposes a discernible disinterest in the audience. Also present if you watch an early 90s Ben Elton stand up. Just as you say. Vain, phoney. Charmless.

Most other comedians who perform his kind of material (which has already dated horribly) occasionally let the mask slip to reveal their own insecurity and failings to provide a context. Some humanity is recovered in the self-deprecation. Even the likes of Sadowitz do this. But less so with Hicks act, which is off-the-scale in how pleased with itself it is.

Marketed as an urbane subversive truth teller. Apparently just an insecure charmless man with material that even discounting the bleakly cynical mirthless tone of delivery feels more hacky with every passing year.

Dewt

All good stoner (for lack of a better term) animated comedy is dead because people are too self-aware now. We will never see the likes of Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Aqua Teen again (even if Aqua Teen's corpse stirs a little). Memes effectively make it obsolete, even though there's a huge difference in memes and stoner comedy - it's just that society has lost access to being able to appreciate it, and you would never get more than a handful of viewers.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: famethrowa on May 23, 2020, 04:47:03 AM
Bad Education is funny as fuck and really well paced and put together.

I initially didn't like the show, but would sort of go along with that. The class themselves are like a 21st Century Bash Street Kids made flesh and blood. Jack Whitehall's a perfectly decent comic actor ( and crap stand up).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 22, 2020, 08:54:14 PM
Does Bill Bryson  count for inclusion in 'ere? I'm going to assume so, as he's a supposedly " humorous" writer.
Anyway, he's an annoying cunt who thinks writing about mundane things in mundane details and pointing out the mundanity of the mundane things is funny and not just fucking annoying and cuntish, and he clearly makes things up when  he writes about things like when he's off on his travels round England, cos probably nothing remotely amusing happens to him, people probably see him walking down the streets of Hove or whatever, and clock his fucking beard and fucking glasses and think " Oh, there's that cunt Bill Bryson, I'm avoiding that cunt , right enough", so nothing even remotely interesting or amusing or engaging ever happens to him, the writing about mundane things in a mundane manner cunt.

I'm 50/50 on Bryson having only read two of his books, the first, A Walk In The Woods I found quite interesting if rarely laugh out loud funny, but Notes From A Small Island irritated me no end, I mean he seemed to spend the whole book visiting tiny villages and towns and then moaning that there was nothing interesting going on in the evenings, and it was so repetitive and tedious that I've never been able to understand why people love it so.

Captain Z

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on May 22, 2020, 11:07:04 PM
Stewart Lee - knows how to put a show together, but just not very funny. Apart from those interview bits with Chris Morris.

Conversely, that was the least funny thing either of them have ever done. Armando was 100 times better in that role.

Jockice

Because I've mentioned The Pink Panther on another thread, those films were shit weren't they?

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 23, 2020, 11:14:28 AM
I'm 50/50 on Bryson having only read two of his books, the first, A Walk In The Woods I found quite interesting if rarely laugh out loud funny, but Notes From A Small Island irritated me no end, I mean he seemed to spend the whole book visiting tiny villages and towns and then moaning that there was nothing interesting going on in the evenings, and it was so repetitive and tedious that I've never been able to understand why people love it so.

Yes! I possibly came to it expecting too much after hearing all the praise for it, but it seemed to just fall on the wrong side of snide and petty for me. Only read it the once, but from what I recall there was just lots of what you mentioned - moaning about small villages acting in, gasp, small village ways - and also lots of sniping about people he met, some of whom I thought didn't really deserve the character assassination. I don't mind a bit of gentle humorous poking at innocent people, but this just came across as mean.

To be fair, it's been many years since I read it, so I could be misremembering it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Nah, that sounds about right. That's what Bill Bryson does, it's his schtick. Bet he was chuffed to bits when Robert Redford played him in that film, too.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 23, 2020, 12:25:02 PM
^ Nah, that sounds about right. That's what Bill Bryson does, it's his schtick. Bet he was chuffed to bits when Robert Redford played him in that film, too.

Fair dos. I don't mind that big science book he did, and I'm still reading the one he wrote about the human body, but it put me off reading any of his other travel books. I'll stick to Michael Palin for that.

Icehaven

I've never read a Bill Bryson book but having been a librarian for years I know how popular he is. I was initially surprised to read that he's mean about people he meets, but thinking about it that's exactly what people enjoy hearing isn't it. And I presume he hides behind the justification that he's 'poking fun with genuine affection' which is really slagging off with unearned contempt.

Blue Jam

I find Young Frankenstein a real slog and think Marty Feldman's character in particular is really annoying.

I like The Producers though.

checkoutgirl

Bill Hicks is shit.
Bojack Horseman is fucking shit.
Woody Allen? Shit.
Alan Partridge is fucking shit.
Daniel Kitson wishes he was good enough to be shit.
Monty Python is shit.
The Simpsons post Ullman is unbelievably shit.
The Goons are massively shit.
This thread is shit.
All films, TV and books are shit.
You're shit. I'm shit. Everything's shit.

Paddlin' the school canoe? You better believe that's shit.

Coprolite

Darkness does not improve comedy and often kills it. Jam was not funny. Nighty night was unwatchable.

The best comedy is over the top stupid violence, like vic reeves being hit with an oversized frying pan or the fbi kicking a door through beavis and buttheads teacher as he sings "lesbian seagull"