Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quarantine for alienating comedy opinions

Started by Clownbaby, May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: Coprolite on May 23, 2020, 02:32:07 PM
Darkness does not improve comedy and often kills it. Jam was not funny. Nighty night was unwatchable.

The best comedy is over the top stupid violence, like vic reeves being hit with an oversized frying pan or the fbi kicking a door through beavis and buttheads teacher as he sings "lesbian seagull"

I said I don't like Beavis and Butthead but that sounds quite good.

Retinend

Quote from: Coprolite on May 23, 2020, 02:32:07 PM
Darkness does not improve comedy and often kills it

Reminds me: anyone else remember the "daaaaaaaaaark" meme?

QDRPHNC

I'd say darkness for it's own sake, which is why Nighty Night is fucking unwatchable.

Brundle-Fly

A lot of H.S. Art humour and certain heralded Cabbers' florid flights of fantasy/ puerile' posts. I just find it all a bit baffling, but then I am an old cunt. 

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 23, 2020, 07:16:39 PM
A lot of H.S. Art humour and certain heralded Cabbers' florid flights of fantasy/ puerile' posts. I just find it all a bit baffling, but then I am an old cunt. 
You could tell me the "matter of fact X" threads were a practical joke being played directly on me, and I'd find it easier to believe than multiple people actually find that stuff funny.

Retinend

Yeah I'm usually left more confused than amused.

And while we're at it, what is "Ask Aubrey" all about?

Clownbaby

Agree. I never go in H. S. Art for this reason and I can't be arsed with "persona" posters even if I know some people love that sort of thing

Brundle-Fly

I must add, I am greatly impressed by the creativity and originality of what I've just criticised. I just don't get it.  But then, why should I?

Moving on...

The other night, there was a sight gag on a Mrs. Brown's Boys repeat that actually made me do a proper 10cc member. The cornflakes/jigsaw puzzle gag.
So sue me.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Had a right old Graham Gouldman at that, didntchya?

Twit 2

Daniel Kitson manages to be smug, twee and banal all at once and is vastly overrated. Admittedly, haven't heard/seen him for yonks but I stopped following what he was up to long ago when I came to the opinion above. Maybe he's turned into a genius, but his theatre stuff sounds like it should come with sick bags, so I might have to miss out.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 23, 2020, 07:59:00 PM
The other night, there was a sight gag on a Mrs. Brown's Boys repeat that actually made me do a proper 10cc member. The cornflakes/jigsaw puzzle gag.
So sue me.

You say that as though we'll all instantly know what gag you're referring to.  We don't because, like most sane people, we don't watch Mrs. Brown's Boys.  Suffice to say, even a broken clock is funny twice a day or however that saying goes.

Brundle-Fly

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 23, 2020, 08:03:36 PM
Daniel Kitson manages to be smug, twee and banal all at once and is vastly overrated. Admittedly, haven't heard/seen him for yonks but I stopped following what he was up to long ago when I came to the opinion above. Maybe he's turned into a genius, but his theatre stuff sounds like it should come with sick bags, so I might have to miss out.
I went to the one where he finds the letters in his attic and it left me a bit cold. I still think he's among the best standups I've ever seen, but I wish he'd do more of that and less of the theatre-y things.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 23, 2020, 07:59:00 PM
I must add, I am greatly impressed by the creativity and originality of what I've just criticised. I just don't get it.  But then, why should I?

Moving on...

So sue me.

I've just laughed at the very thought of that. I'll sue you anyway.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 23, 2020, 08:27:16 PM
You say that as though we'll all instantly know what gag you're referring to.  We don't because, like most sane people, we don't watch Mrs. Brown's Boys.  Suffice to say, even a broken clock is funny twice a day or however that saying goes.

I don't like to SPOIL a joke but FWIW.

I just caught a moment of MBBs and there was a great sight gag when one of her dim kids believes a cereal box of cornflakes is actually a jigsaw puzzle.

"we" don't watch Mrs Brown's Boys...

As Jim McDonald from Coronation Street used to say, "Catch yourself on."

lankyguy95

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 23, 2020, 09:32:10 PM
I went to the one where he finds the letters in his attic and it left me a bit cold. I still think he's among the best standups I've ever seen, but I wish he'd do more of that and less of the theatre-y things.
As a Kitson fan, I agree.

Small Man Big Horse

That's "The Interminable Suicide of Gregory Church", the one he streamed online this week, I really enjoyed it but out of the three shows I've seen of his (the other's being "It's Always Right Now, Until It's Later" and "Keep") it was my least favourite.

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 23, 2020, 09:42:19 PM

I don't like to SPOIL a joke but FWIW.

I just caught a moment of MBBs and there was a great sight gag when one of her dim kids believes a cereal box of cornflakes is actually a jigsaw puzzle.

You're alright - that's an old Harry Hill joke about his nan.

Kryton

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 22, 2020, 08:54:14 PM
Does Bill Bryson  count for inclusion in 'ere? I'm going to assume so, as he's a supposedly " humorous" writer.
Anyway, he's an annoying cunt who thinks writing about mundane things in mundane details and pointing out the mundanity of the mundane things is funny and not just fucking annoying and cuntish, and he clearly makes things up when  he writes about things like when he's off on his travels round England, cos probably nothing remotely amusing happens to him, people probably see him walking down the streets of Hove or whatever, and clock his fucking beard and fucking glasses and think " Oh, there's that cunt Bill Bryson, I'm avoiding that cunt , right enough", so nothing even remotely interesting or amusing or engaging ever happens to him, the writing about mundane things in a mundane manner cunt.

I disagree, (I mean your opinion is fine) but I DO think he plays a kind of deliberate character? And I have laughed several times on public transport whilst reading his stuff.
He's probably not the most approachable guy to be fair, but I find his weird quirks and wisdom strangely fascinating.

At least you're not sayin Alan Partridge is bad though, so you're all right.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on May 23, 2020, 09:53:44 PM
You're alright - that's an old Harry Hill joke about his nan.

Really? Fuck'em, then.

Blue Jam

I have seen Daniel Kitson many times- sometimes doing theatre-y stuff, sometimes doing pure unplanned rambling stand-up- and I have enjoyed him every time.

That said, my favourite thing he's done has been the time he spontaneously did a kind of country and western-style song, stamping his foot on the floor while going "Ah like / Fuckin' mah dick / Fuckin' mah dick / With mah butt cheeks".

I nearly died laughing. You can't teach that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jockice on May 23, 2020, 12:09:27 PM
Because I've mentioned The Pink Panther on another thread, those films were shit weren't they?

The first two - A Shot in the Dark especially - are really good. The third one has its moments, but the rot is beginning to set in. The last two films in the series are dreadful, and the ones made after Sellers' death don't count.*

* I haven't seen the one starring Alan Arkin as Clouseau.

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 23, 2020, 07:20:22 PM
You could tell me the "matter of fact X" threads were a practical joke being played directly on me, and I'd find it easier to believe than multiple people actually find that stuff funny.

That's how I feel about Wimblewrong. I just don't get it. All this "I laughed my spleen out of my ear!", "Pissed myself so loud I woke up the cat!" etc at some in-joke Photoshop tomfoolery. Meh.

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: pancreas on May 21, 2020, 01:27:12 PM
And just for Twit 2: Tried Norm MacDonald now three or four times, including Death/Heart Attack and Alcoholism and while it's okay, there's not enough there for me. Some ideas sure, but mainly too slowly developed and too smugly delivered.

The pseudo-refined palette of a complete moron.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Captain Poodle Basher on May 24, 2020, 07:57:38 AM
That's how I feel about Wimblewrong. I just don't get it. All this "I laughed my spleen out of my ear!", "Pissed myself so loud I woke up the cat!" etc at some in-joke Photoshop tomfoolery. Meh.

I don't get that shite either. Let the children boogie, to each their own, but I fail to see the humour in any of it.

But hey-ho, it's easy to avoid.

Ray Travez

PlasticTom

Catastrophe is so sooo much better than Fleabag. They don't need to be compared, but I'm watching Catastrophe now and thinking about how annoying Fleabag was.

Thomas

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 21, 2020, 01:58:19 PM
QuoteThe Mighty Boosh

My favourite bit is when that green gentleman comes from the water and says "my name is old Gregory".

Many pages have passed, and I know you're taking the piss, but this droll description still made me laugh. You have to admit it's a funny image.

Jockice

I've never even looked at HS Art or Winblewrong. Beat that.