Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:08:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quarantine for alienating comedy opinions

Started by Clownbaby, May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Saying 'I'm going to dump a load of controversial opinions here and you mustn't debate them' is a bit brass necked is it not?

Result, a load of people brittly saying things are shit with no justification or recourse to discussion. Just like the rest of the internet.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 21, 2020, 10:41:31 AM
And Finchy would have twatted David Brent after he told him to fuck off.

Welcome to the right side of history Lisa.

Natnar

I find Andy Dawson quite funny on Athletico Mince.

Never got the Inbetweeners.

Fr.Bigley

There isn't enough heavy anal in Alan partridge.. my opinion anyway.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: the on May 21, 2020, 11:01:48 AM
Result, a load of people brittly saying things are shit with no justification or recourse to discussion. Just like the rest of the internet.

It's rotten how it's compulsory to read every thread whether the content appeals to you or not, isn't it?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Greg Davies: not a funny man. Is tall, plays himself on every single thing he acts in, kindly reminds us that he looks a bit like Rik Mayall at every single fucking opportunity , wanks on about his mum and other family members in far too much personal detail in his stand- up act. Was probably a crap drama teacher, too.

Icehaven

I've only watched 10 minutes of Rick and Morty and the old one with spiky hair appeared to permanently have loads of spit around his mouth which made me feel sick, so I won't be watching it again.

I've no idea if there's a consensus on The Goldbergs or what it is if there is (although I suspect it would be negative), but I've been bingeing it recently and will likely continue to do so even though it's one of the most formulaic sitcoms I've ever seen. First 20 minutes, family members do something mean or selfish or fall out over something, last 5 minutes they have an epiphany about their behaviour, make amends and hug while the voiceover talks about how important family is. It's literally the opposite of Seinfeld's "No hugging, no learning" motto and is brain chewing gum but I like it for some (probably exactly that) reason.

Jockice

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 21, 2020, 09:23:22 AM
I don't think The Big Bang Theory is bad and have enjoyed it in the past when I watched it as a slumped-on-the-couch-after-work captive audience. I don't have any particular affection for the show but also don't really get why it's used as a benchmark for poor comedy taste. Everything else Chuck Lorre has made is as bad as everyone says, though.

Yeah, I don't think it's as terrible as everyone else thinks either. Don't go out of my way to watch it but if I'm flicking channels and happen upon it I may watch an episode or two. When I was working I thought of Friends in the same way. You've just had your dinner and you want to watch something that isn't taxing and may make you smile (if rarely laugh) a couple of times.

I don't even usually do American comedy, so have never even seen Rick and Morty, Nathan For You, Community etc. Seen a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm but wasn't too impressed. You just knew he was going to say something that sounded racist and sexist with a black woman standing behind him. Others have said that's the joy of it - that whatever potential error he can possibly make he was going to make - and while I can see why that may be appealing it's not for me.

Have seen Family Guy once but didn't like it. And I think King Of The Hill is better than that, The Simpsons and South Park put together.

the

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 21, 2020, 11:20:35 AMIt's rotten how it's compulsory to read every thread whether the content appeals to you or not, isn't it?

What?

lankyguy95

Quote from: Jockice on May 21, 2020, 11:28:55 AM
Have seen Family Guy once but didn't like it. And I think King Of The Hill is better than that, The Simpsons and South Park put together.
That's just true to be fair.

The terror in Josh Widdicombe's eyes whenever he is required on-camera to do or say something that justifies his position in the world of light entertainment is genuinely laugh-out-loud funny and paradoxically this makes him a successful comedian in my book.

bushwick

Don't see why Daniel Kitson or Dave Gorman are meant to be funny.

Also I thought TMWE was shit cringe by saddoes and I was 18 at the time, target audience. I thought it was for indie kid dummies with floppy fringes who still wore docs and listened to The Wonderstuff and didn''t go to raves.

Freddy Got Fingered is a work of genius and one of the funniest films ever.

Icehaven

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: icehaven on May 21, 2020, 11:46:22 AM
What's TMWE?

Touch my willy edward- it's like brideshead revisited but more men sweating profusely.

bushwick

Clownbaby

I don't think The Big Bang Theory is bad and have enjoyed it in the past when I watched it as a slumped-on-the-couch-after-work captive audience. I don't have any particular affection for the show but also don't really get why it's used as a benchmark for poor comedy taste. Everything else Chuck Lorre has made is as bad as everyone says, though.

I kind of agree. I thought it was alright for the first 3 seasons. I think it had its heart kind of in the right place early on but it gradually got more and more grotesquely irritating with the inclusion of Amy Farrah-Fowler. Nobody seems to see her as the killer of the show but I think she was. Horrible character

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bushwick on May 21, 2020, 11:41:36 AM
Don't see why Daniel Kitson or Dave Gorman are meant to be funny.

Also I thought TMWE was shit cringe by saddoes and I was 18 at the time, target audience. I thought it was for indie kid dummies with floppy fringes who still wore docs and listened to The Wonderstuff and didn''t go to raves.

Freddy Got Fingered is a work of genius and one of the funniest films ever.

The worst part is it enabled David Baddiel and the one who's made a 30 year career out of doing an advert voice.

Sebastian Cobb

I'll not hear a bad word about Heathcliff.

bgmnts

Everything is basically shit except:

Bob Mortimer's output,
The Office UK
Simpsons 2-11
South Park
Stewart Lee
Life of Brian
Holy Grail
Some monty python shows
Some bit sof stand up by Chris Rock.

Sebastian Cobb

Finally some brevity round here.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2020, 12:23:28 PM
I'll not hear a bad word about Heathcliff.
Bloody hell, thought this must be some joke I wasn't getting but no, Chuck Lorre really did have a hand in making the Heathcliff cartoon. I'll update my previous statement to "Everything else Chuck Lorre has made and attached his vanity plate to is as bad as everyone says, though"

checkoutgirl

Agree Greenwing is shite and you won't get much argument round here I imagine. Rick and Morty I gave 4 episodes before giving up, shite. Doesn't stop a mate asking if I've watched it every single time we speak.

Other than that I'd just say that even though I haven't watched The Fast Show in a decade because I suspect I've used it up, when it came out it was a much bigger deal. Maybe it doesn't work as well now in some respects but at the time it seemed like something new and fresh. And stuff like "This week I will be mostly..." or "...which was nice" still sort of work for me.

Oh and Bob Mortimer on WILTY is a good place to start for anyone whose faith in him is waning.

M-CORP

The Monty Python films are great but Flying Circus, while also great, is more weird than funny.

I don't mind Rick And Morty. I like the fast pace of it and the way absurd and nonsensical sci-fi cliche-related scenarios are juxtaposed with the stuff that also goes on with the Smith household; some great humour comes from that contrast and the characters, but while I enjoy it, I don't really find myself turning the programme on that often. Just one episode every once in a while is enough.

I did once watch a Josh Widdicombe stand-up gig on the telly and I enjoyed it, probably because of the emphasis Widdicombe placed on jokes that were prepared way in advance and well-rehearsed. The Last Leg however is utter dross, partly because it lacks this space for refinement, but mainly because it's too busy spouting its own political agenda as opposed to actually being funny.

Not Going Out isn't my thing. Not controversial, I know, but I actually think Lee Mack's alright. Watching Would I Lie To You and his stand-up, OK so it's slightly smug, but there's a spontaneity there that Widdicombe lacks.

In two minds about Upstart Crow - mainly because of the old-fashioned way it's presented - but it's worth checking out and has its moments.

These are the things that pop up first in my head.

Blue Jam

Nighty-Night. Sounded right up my street, hated it so much it actually made me a bit angry.

Life Of Rock With Brian Pern. I get the references, I get the jokes, but I still sit through this stony-faced.

Eddie Izzard. I know he's very clever but I just don't get him. Perhaps he's too clever for me.

Inside No. 9. Smug as fuck and not half as clever as it likes to think it is. I still think Jeremy Dyson could do a better dark comedy/horror anthology.

Green Wing. I love it and I don't care about the gimmicky speeded-up bits. I enjoy this show too much to be distracted by them.

Fresh Meat. Series 3 aside I also love this. And I think Jack Whitehall is really good in it.

Nathan Barley. Loved this at the time and still do. Thanks to the expansion of hipster culture way beyond a tiny corner of Hackney it's actually funnier now than it was then. Worth a revisit if you're in two minds.

Marner and Me

Will Ferrell, don't particularly find anything of his funny, I turned the Telladega Nights off.

He just seems to play some sort of autistic man child in every film. The Other Guys was decent due to Mark Wahlberg

Seth Rogan, jesus wept I get it. You're a fat stoner with a beard.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2020, 12:33:55 PM
Everything is basically shit except:

Bob Mortimer's output,
The Office UK
Simpsons 2-11
South Park
Stewart Lee
Life of Brian
Holy Grail
Some monty python shows
Some bit sof stand up by Chris Rock.

Here's an alienating comedy opinion. Because of the ravages of time all of these have turned to different shades of dross. Also are you excluding all of Bob Mortimer's output even when he goes to the toilet?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Another vote for Fresh Meat, a fine ensemble comedy acting cast, especially the female contingent. Charlotte Richie, for example, gives great comedic facial expressions, and demonstrates some sharp comedy timing.One is even minded to let Joe Thomas and his limitations off.

Not a very controversial opinion, though.

bgmnts

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 21, 2020, 01:05:18 PM
Here's an alienating comedy opinion. Because of the ravages of time all of these have turned to different shades of dross. Also are you excluding all of Bob Mortimer's output even when he goes to the toilet?

Yes

Clownbaby

I'd say "fair point, you got me" if it weren't for the many people in the thread who are obviously still able to have a discussion without it becoming a massive debate about which shows are absolutely definitively good and which shows are absolutely definitively bad/people trying to gather evidence that proves either of those sides to someone who doesn't really want to hear it anyway because they feel the opposite way, and that's why they said they did in the first place.

I just like to see people's opinions sometimes. The internet is full of debates, constantly, as is this forum. There's no fucking harm in one piddly little thread not being full of debates, which is why I'm not going to debate this anymore