Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quarantine for alienating comedy opinions

Started by Clownbaby, May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollyboro

Quote from: Jockice on May 24, 2020, 09:39:49 PM
I've never even looked at HS Art or Winblewrong. Beat that.

Good decision, mate. You really shouldn't. What them cunts are saying about you, right now, doesn't bear repeating.  Borderline libelous in my opinion.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Thomas on May 24, 2020, 09:39:02 PM
My favourite bit is when that green gentleman comes from the water and says "my name is old Gregory".

Many pages have passed, and I know you're taking the piss, but this droll description still made me laugh. You have to admit it's a funny image.

I just had the image of being with a load of students in a Uni hall somewhere in the mid-to-late 2000s, half high and half pissed at 3am with everyone shouting across from eachother "I'm Old Gregg!" and gave myself the fear.

A decade earlier it would have been a cacophony of "Hello Dave!"

Jockice

Quote from: ollyboro on May 24, 2020, 10:20:24 PM
Good decision, mate. You really shouldn't. What them cunts are saying about you, right now, doesn't bear repeating.  Borderline libelous in my opinion.

Their defence is justification,

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The first series of " Black Books" was the best one, because of Graham Linehan's input. All subsequent series, scripted solely by Dylan Moran were far too heavy on dialogue involving the characters just telling each other to fuck off and smoking and getting pissed up then being hungover,  and notably light on decent storylines, and the rich seam of comic invention that ran through that first series.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 25, 2020, 12:10:25 AM
The first series of " Black Books" was the best one, because of Graham Linehan's input. All subsequent series, scripted solely by Dylan Moran were far too heavy on dialogue involving the characters just telling each other to fuck off and smoking and getting pissed up then being hungover,  and notably light on decent storylines, and the rich seam of comic invention that ran through that first series.

He only wrote 3 episodes from series 2 on his own, all the rest and all of series 3 were co-written.

Hand Solo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 25, 2020, 01:14:32 AM
He only wrote 3 episodes from series 2 on his own, all the rest and all of series 3 were co-written.

The co-writers were Cecil & Riley though, who as far as I know only add the odd few gags to punch up an alredy extant script?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 25, 2020, 01:16:44 AM
The co-writers were Cecil & Riley though, who as far as I know only add the odd few gags to punch up an alredy extant script?

I've no idea about that. Moran did write one episode with Arthur Matthews too, don't know how that worked either. He's written episodes on his own, I think he wrote the pilot on his own, then Linehan was brought in and it was very much a collaboration between those two rather than just script-editing. Not sure how it worked after that first series.

Brundle-Fly

mippy

SavageHedgehog

I do too, which is a surprise to me as I'm not a big Big Bang Theory fan. I enjoyed The Goldbergs for the first couple of sesons but it grew tiresome with its exhaustive pop culture fixations. Young Sheldon, in contrast, is a gentle step back into a simpler time which probably never existed but is still fun to visit, with a great supporting cast (having said that I missed most of the third season, and some of the episodes I did see were a bit weak)

madhair60

Someone mentioned it so I'll chip in with an actual real one that alienates me; Calvin & Hobbes is crap, and when it's not being saccharine it's being unbearably smug.

Puce Moment

Dana Carvey makes me squirm with embarrassment. Sometimes he just says any old shit in his exaggerated impressions and people piss themselves.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: madhair60 on May 25, 2020, 01:37:18 PM
Someone mentioned it so I'll chip in with an actual real one that alienates me; Calvin & Hobbes is crap, and when it's not being saccharine it's being unbearably smug.

I have to ask - are you going by reading the books or are you going by the C&H strip that tend to pop up on Reddit and social media?

Jumblegraws

Quote from: madhair60 on May 25, 2020, 01:37:18 PM
I like C & H just fine myself. Have you ever seen this Space Moose strip, Madhair?

QDRPHNC

Christ, I haven't thought about Space Moose in years.

Retinend

Blue Jam