Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:37:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quarantine for alienating comedy opinions

Started by Clownbaby, May 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Edit: Oh never mind

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2020, 02:32:11 PM
Terrible thread my dude

Quote from: neveragain on May 21, 2020, 02:59:23 PM
I have to agree (though nothing against Clownbaby). As a place to vent it's fine and some people at least make an argument/explanation for their opinion but it's mostly "x is shit innit!"

I disagree, I originally didn't know if I'd find the thread interesting but I think the majority of people have explained there issues with a show, and it's been a really interesting read.

Add me to the (very few) people who don't get Bottom, perhaps it's something I need to revisit but I felt after a couple of episodes it just repeated it's formula, Rik and Adrian would be horrible to each other, there'd be an extraordinary amount of bleakness, a fair amount of violent physical comedy and well, that's about it, and it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I did only watch the first series though and these are the views of my teenage self, so I could be wrong.

Clownbaby

I have to agree (though nothing against Clownbaby). As a place to vent it's fine and some people at least make an argument/explanation for their opinion but it's mostly "x is shit innit!"

If as a place to vent about liking/disliking a show it's "fine" then what's the point in taking exception to the fact that the thread contains people who are venting about liking/disliking a show, even if they're just literally saying "I don't like this show, I've never found it funny" or " I actually like this show". Not my doing if the odd person just drops a blunt opinion without much context added. I don't mind people doing that myself.

Also let's not pretend that this whole forum isn't full of much much worse, bickery stupid threads that spiral into massive irritating and sometimes ugly debates. I've had to bite my tongue after seeing some absolute shiters of threads.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bushwick on May 21, 2020, 11:50:17 AM
The Mary Whitehouse Experience innit

Why abbreviate it? It's not well known enough to do that.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 21, 2020, 03:12:49 PM
Why abbreviate it? It's not well known enough to do that.

But Touch My Willy Edward is very well known so I can see why people would be confusing the two.

rue the polywhirl

A few points before I leave:
* It's not "not funny" if someone else finds it funny
* A person can be smug but not a TV show
* No one pretends they find something funny
* 'Overrated' is not a criticism, the same as 'dated'

If you think a show has aspects to it that have not aged well and they've aged in such way that impacts on the humour of the show, would that not be a criticism?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 21, 2020, 02:15:07 PM
Is that controversial? I think most comedy fans acknowledge how naturally quick and funny Skinner is.

Yeah Skinner's a genius. Some of the best live stand up I've ever seen and never short of an off the cuff remark on telly shows. Quickest comedian on TV.

neveragain

rue, My problem with 'dated' as a criticism is that everything dates eventually so I don't find it very relevant. Sometimes it seems as though people view 'being from a different time' as a bad point in itself and I don't, even if you have to be conscious of a change in cultural views since the time it was made.
"Overrated", not that you asked, is a critique I've never found valid as it's not the fault of the piece how other people have viewed or written about it. Yes, it can affect how you approach a show but it should be put out of your mind in order to judge fairly.

Clownbaby, fair enough. Though there's a world of difference between "I've never found this funny" and "It's not funny". One accepts the existence of a different point of view.

I've also realised my post was self-contradictory so I withdraw it.

evilcommiedictator

Yes Minister is still ten times better than The Thick of It, which is politics with swearing for the media and ADHD kids to lap up and drool over

pigamus

lankyguy95

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on May 21, 2020, 03:30:50 PM
Yes Minister is still ten times better than The Thick of It, which is politics with swearing for the media and ADHD kids to lap up and drool over
There are a few sitcoms that are just as good as Yes Minister but only one or two that are better. It's great.

Blue Jam

Controversial opinion: I think this is a good thread.

I would also quite like someone to explain Eddie Izzard to me. I genuinely feel a bit dumb for not laughing at his stand-up.

Really feeling like I should check out some Frank Skinner stuff too now. I don't think I've actually watched him in anything since Fantasy Football League.

the

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 21, 2020, 03:12:20 PMIf as a place to vent about liking/disliking a show it's "fine" then what's the point in taking exception to the fact that the thread contains people who are venting about liking/disliking a show, even if they're just literally saying "I don't like this show, I've never found it funny" or " I actually like this show". Not my doing if the odd person just drops a blunt opinion without much context added. I don't mind people doing that myself.

Also let's not pretend that this whole forum isn't full of much much worse, bickery stupid threads that spiral into massive irritating and sometimes ugly debates. I've had to bite my tongue after seeing some absolute shiters of threads.

The point I'd made (which everyone snipped out of their responses) was that you dictated to a discussion forum that what is said in here mustn't be debated. Sorry, but how can you dictate that to everyone?

I'm not being nasty towards you, it just stood out as a bit of a cheek. No-one here should feel that they're disallowed from picking up something said and going 'hang on, what about...', in case scrutiny now crosses some supposed boundary.

QDRPHNC

I don't feel like I'm disallowed to debate. I think the comment was made in good humour and that you're overreacting.

non capisco

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2020, 12:57:21 PM
Eddie Izzard. I know he's very clever but I just don't get him. Perhaps he's too clever for me.

I have never been able to stick Eddie Izzard, just his voice brings out the chippy Dartford oik staring across the unbridgeable river of the class divide in me, stuck at some tepid party where a whimsical posh twat is demonstratively bollocking on about..I dunno, otters.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2020, 03:43:28 PM
Really feeling like I should check out some Frank Skinner stuff too now. I don't think I've actually watched him in anything since Fantasy Football League.
I'd check out his Absolute Radio show podcast if you never have. It's a great showcase of his (sometimes astoundingly) quick wit and natural funniness.

Clownbaby

Quote from: the on May 21, 2020, 03:45:09 PM
The point I'd made (which everyone snipped out of their responses) was that you dictated to a discussion forum that what is said in here mustn't be debated. Sorry, but how can you dictate that to everyone?

I'm not being nasty towards you, it just stood out as a bit of a cheek. No-one here should feel that they're disallowed from picking up something said and going 'hang on, what about...', in case scrutiny now crosses some supposed boundary.

I never said nobody could discuss anything. Not once. I think you're taking my OP a bit too seriously. I also didn't say people weren't allowed to disagree and say "hang on, what about". By "no debate" I was thinking of the tendency people have on here, Reddit, wherever, to outright go at people for having a contrasting opinion and try to explain to them why they're wrong or that theyre missing something by having that contrasting opinion.

Maybe I should have used a stronger term than "debate", like "bickering" or "shouting down". I'm also hardly going to start telling people off and getting in a sulk if some people didn't agree with either my hot takes or someone else's opinion. Any perceived bossyness or cheek from me was unintentional and 90% of the people who've replied to the thread seem to be doing alright and discussing and shit

I just wanted to see what people's hot takes are on comedy shows that we all often debate about on here anyway and I figured it would be sort of fun if it was more of a stream of people's consciousness where people put their instant reactions to stuff they like/don't like, bluntly or in more detail, without the worry of derailing a thread by mentioning a show that tends to get people a bit heated. I didn't intend to come across as a cheek or police people at all.

Jockice

I like this sort of thread. It was a similar one on the Oscillations board that actually got me to join up after lurking for a while.

And I think it's fair enough for me to say (for instance) that Woody Allen isn't funny without explaining myself. As it is fair enough for someone else to say that Woody Allen is the funniest human being ever to live without explaining themselves. They're wrong of course but thee we go.

Chollis

i like it, i think it's good.

you know what isn't good? Bottom. tried watching 5 minutes of it the other day. absolute shite.

Captain Z

I'm aware that as a straight, cis male I can't claim that my opinion is important, but if GL hadn't outed himself as a complete fruitcake I probably would have defended THAT episode of the IT Crowd. Having read about it on here, I see now that the fight scene could be interpreted as an outdated stereotype, but it never struck me as anything other than an absurd escalation to a breakup, and by the end you're laughing at Matt Berry because his transphobia has left him miserable. And 'the internet' stuff is a funny subplot.

Although 'a man/from Iran' doesn't work and obviously should have been Oman.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 21, 2020, 03:56:18 PM

I never said nobody could discuss anything. Not once. I think you're taking my OP a bit too seriously man. I also didn't say people weren't allowed to disagree and say "hang on, what about". By "no debate" I was thinking of the tendency people have on here, Reddit, wherever, to outright go at people for having a contrasting opinion and try to explain to them why they're wrong or that theyre missing something by having that contrasting opinion.

Maybe I should have used a stronger term than "debate", like "bickering" or "shouting down". I'm also hardly going to start telling people off and getting in a sulk if some people didn't agree with either my hot takes or someone else's opinion. Any perceived bossyness or cheek from me was unintentional and 90% of the people who've replied to the thread seem to be doing alright and discussing and shit

I just wanted to see what people's hot takes are on comedy shows that we all often debate about on here anyway and I figured it would be sort of fun if it was more of a stream of people's consciousness where people put their instant reactions to stuff they like/don't like, bluntly or in more detail, without the worry of derailing a thread by mentioning a show that tends to get people a bit heated. I didn't intend to come across as a cheek or police people at all.

I get why you responded and why you're frustrated with such comments but I'd just ignore them, the people are being dicks, if they don't like a thread they could just ignore it but oh no, they have to wade it and have a big old whine and it's all a bit pathetic.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Captain Z on May 21, 2020, 04:11:59 PM
I'm aware that as a straight, cis male I can't claim that my opinion is important, but if GL hadn't outed himself as a complete fruitcake I probably would have defended THAT episode of the IT Crowd. Having read about it on here, I see now that the fight scene could be interpreted as an outdated stereotype, but it never struck me as anything other than an absurd escalation to a breakup, and by the end you're laughing at Matt Berry because his transphobia has left him miserable. And 'the internet' stuff is a funny subplot.

Although 'a man/from Iran' doesn't work and obviously should have been Oman.

Was with you every step of the way... till that final remark about Oman.

IT crowd series 3 - fairly enjoyable

IT crowd series 4 - absolute poop

Clownbaby

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 21, 2020, 04:25:20 PM
I get why you responded and why you're frustrated with such comments but I'd just ignore them, the people are being dicks, if they don't like a thread they could just ignore it but oh no, they have to wade it and have a big old whine and it's fucking pathetic.

Agree. Aye I'm gonna leave it there. It's probably still not over but I'm gonna leave it haha

Anyway back on topic add me to the list of people who feel nothing for Eddie Izzard. He seems like good crack as a person but I always forget that I dont like his stand up, watch some, and realise over and over again "I really don't think Eddie Izzard is even remotely funny." I don't know why I keep forgetting that. Like how I keep thinking I'll enjoy a Magnum and I just get bored of eating it and wish I got a Solero instead

madhair60

I retract my cunty comment about this being a shit thread

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2020, 04:37:20 PM

Do you retract being a cunty cunt though? Mwah

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2020, 04:37:20 PM

Bet you can't retract your foreskin. Typical CaBber.

Fr.Bigley

paruses

I think this is a great thread as I can say I don't care for Bottom and just the fact that that could be a double entendre annoys me. Rik and Vivian as older men just leaves me cold and the characters situation just depresses me. Like SMBH though it's a long time since I saw it so maybe I missed something.

I disagree with Clownbaby's opinion on a Magnum but agree with her Eddie Izzard take. I found him very funny first watch 20 years ago but that's it. Maybe there is just too much whimsy masquerading as absurdism in the intervening period and I have lost the thread of what I was saying.

I watched Year of the Rabbit in early LOCKDOWN and really enjoyed it. I think the Victorian-modern-swearing is just click ait and there's some funny proper jokes and performances in it. I also realised that Matt Barry is brilliant at making indifference funny.

paruses

I mention YotR  ecause the thread on here generally slammed it as I recall.