Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Walking In Memphis (Stupid Lyrics/Songs)

Started by Hey, Punk!, May 21, 2020, 02:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey, Punk!

Just had a bizarre urge to listen to Walking In Memphis again, does any other song approach this level of embarrassing earnestness. Nothing else makes me cringe so hard that I shudder.

But do I really feel the way I feel?

Dewt

One for the "songs that morph into others inside your head" thread. This song always turns into Josh Kadison - Jessie for me.

Hey, Punk!

I wish Marc Cohn would play a piano in death valley.

I think it's a great song -- the Cher version at least (as featured on the X-Files)

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 21, 2020, 02:37:38 AM
I think it's a great song -- the Cher version at least (as featured on the X-Files)

I'll have to treat myself to that version.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

"TELL ME ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN, CHILD, I SAID, MA'AM I AM TONIGHT!!"

It's hilarious. A straight-faced David Brent song, but so much funnier than anything Gervais managed to write for his knocked-off Life on the Road album.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 21, 2020, 02:47:28 AM
"TELL ME ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN, CHILD, I SAID, MA'AM I AM TONIGHT!!"

It's hilarious. A straight-faced David Brent song, but so much funnier than anything Gervais managed to write for his knocked-off Life on the Road album.

Exactly, a self-parody that just emerged.

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 21, 2020, 02:46:40 AM
I'll have to treat myself to that version.

There's a small, outside chance that I just love the episode of the X-Files. It's the campy music cue at the end of a campy meta-episode about a monster who loves Cher.

dr beat

Where do they go to, when they're alone in their beds?

JesusAndYourBush

Up until a few years ago I only knew the Cher version, but for some reason Radio Leeds keep playing another version with a bloke singing (presumably... [after googling]... Marc Cohn).  I know Cher's voice is deeper than Sonny's, but it was still quite disconcerting the first time I heard this other version.

TheMonk

Was once shot in the head while in his car. Not sure if it had anything to do with this song.
The worst song of this type is Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie. The school poetry lyrics, the awful cheesy keyboards, the over the top delivery with odd little tics, the weird upbeat little breakdown in the middle.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 21, 2020, 02:22:45 AM
Just had a bizarre urge to listen to Walking In Memphis again, does any other song approach this level of embarrassing earnestness. Nothing else makes me cringe so hard that I shudder.

But do I really feel the way I feel?

I was walking with my feet ten feet off the Beale

Finally googled what the fuck that lyric meant a few weeks ago.

Hand Solo

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 22, 2020, 12:36:44 AM
I was walking with my feet ten feet off the Beale

Finally googled what the fuck that lyric meant a few weeks ago.

Charlene - I've never been to me

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things
That a woman ain't s'posed to see
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

Icehaven

I really thought this was sung by Michael Bolton. Mind blown away.

pancreas

This is one of my go to karaoke songs. It's perfectly in my range. But that's fine. You're not expected to do something good.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: pancreas on May 22, 2020, 01:18:43 AM
This is one of my go to karaoke songs. It's perfectly in my range. But that's fine. You're not expected to do something good.

It is enjoyable to sing, my feelings towards it are ambivalent as I'd lying if I said I don't enjoy it's cloying earnestness.

buzby

Prefer Shut Up & Dance's rip of it. Unfortunately this killed their label as Cohn sued due to the uncleared sample, the publicity caused it to get to #2 in the charts before the injunction took hold and this then alerted lawyers from other labels to go through their back catalogue.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 22, 2020, 01:02:34 AM

Charlene - I've never been to me

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things
That a woman ain't s'posed to see
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

It's a naff old song and then some but I'm so glad it exists as Kim Noble's I've Written In Your Diary makes amazing use of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7QT9vc0D9w

Quote from: buzby on May 22, 2020, 08:19:40 AM
Prefer Shut Up & Dance's rip of it. Unfortunately this killed their label as Cohn sued due to the uncleared sample, the publicity caused it to get to #2 in the charts before the injunction took hold and this then alerted lawyers from other labels to go through their back catalogue.

There was a huge amount of pre-release interest in the track (it would have easily been a top 5 "On A Ragga Tip" sized hit) but SUAD weren't allowed to press any additional copies to fulfill the demand, otherwise it would have gone to #1. It's a shame SUAD didn't just replay the simple piano part.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: icehaven on May 22, 2020, 01:10:25 AM
I really thought this was sung by Michael Bolton. Mind blown away.

I was certain it was him or that other one.