Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AC Origins is actually good.

Started by Hey, Punk!, May 21, 2020, 02:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

vainsharpdad

I much prefer the Ezio games, but I stick with Creed out of habit more than love.

There is a lot to like in Odyssey - but the quests in Odyssey which force you to be a warrior to progress piss me right off. The series could do a lot worse than take a good long look at Hitman which hasn't lost what makes playing as a stealth Assassin fun.

Abnormal Palm

Sometimes you don't wanna fanny around in the shadows, you want to butcher hundreds and hundreds! 😂😂😂

vainsharpdad

Yeah - but Odyssey takes that choice away from you. You HAVE to do that.

Timothy

Quote from: Mister Six on May 28, 2020, 05:17:26 PM
Likewise The Outer Worlds.

Outer Worlds had the perfect length imo. Didn't overstay it's welcome with boring fetch quests and it was fun while it lasted.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Timothy on June 03, 2020, 01:40:24 PM
Outer Worlds had the perfect length imo. Didn't overstay it's welcome with boring fetch quests and it was fun while it lasted.

I dunno, 12 minutes seems like a bit of a rip-off unless you bought it on sale. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqpYIrP_IRc

BritishHobo

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2020, 10:05:10 PM
Its all just filler, pointless filler.

Games need to get smaller again.

I'm feeling this and a lot of the other thoughts in this thread. I reckon Origins might be where I step off the train. It's always been a problem in Assassin's Creed I think, all the shit like Tower Defence in one of the Ezio games, and all the pointless armada shit you could do in your cabin. Not to mention the endless collecting. And then in the later ones the skill trees, and the 'crafting', and the everything.

Now Origins, which I just can't get on with. It's absolutely impressive, but it feels like in reinventing the franchise they've just added more bloat, without the substance to match. It's all just overwhelming to no effect. Now that they seem to have (rightfully) given up on the Animus plot, and reinvented the wheel, I think I've gotten everything I was going to out of the franchise. Maybe I'll give it another crack down the line if Valhalla looks good.

Noodle Lizard

I just finished Syndicate finally (having completed most of it back when it came out) and I think that one's good overall, doesn't get mentioned much. I think it came at a point where people were rightfully sick of the franchise before Origins and after the omnishambles of Unity, but I reckon Syndicate's about as good as the "old" formula got. Sure, it's got its fair share of crap missions and tedious bits, but overall I think it combined a truly gorgeous environment and atmosphere with a good sense of fun, and I prefer the relatively "easy" combat to the sloggier mechanisms in Origins onward. You also never felt like you were really missing out on much by not grinding, though the option was there.

Still haven't gone back to Odyssey since losing a save game. Just cannot be arsed with it.

Thursday

It was definitely burnout for me, I was done with AC, but then the fact that they were finally doing London pulled me back in.

BritishHobo

I loved Syndicate. I only ever started playing the franchise because they announced Syndicate and I really wanted to run around Victorian London. It lived up to my expectations because how can you fuck that up? The district side missions (kidnap a bloke, save kids in a factory, kill a bloke, kidnap a bloke) got repetitive towards the end, but everything else was fucking great, just soaking in the whole environment. Big but not unwieldy - and with some nice little touches like when you get to visit Edward Kenway's house. Best of both worlds with the detail of Unity but mechanics that are way more refined and satisfying.

Origins has pushed it a little bit too far for me. It looks amazing but I just can't be arsed.