Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:14:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

IOPC to reveal whether there will be an inquiry into Johnson and Arcuri

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 21, 2020, 09:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBoris Johnson will find out on Thursday if he faces a criminal investigation into his relationship with an American businesswoman while he was mayor of London.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is to reveal its long-delayed decision on whether to investigate him for possible criminal misconduct over his friendship with Jennifer Arcuri...
https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/20/police-watchdog-announce-decision-boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-inquiriy

Rightwing press trying to distract people from this with a story about Coogan using the furlough scheme as intended

EDIT: corrected link

jobotic

idunnosomename

Boris got my hat pregnant!!! Will there be an investigation?

jobotic

Trump. Putin. No 10 speaks

QuoteWe welcome the fact that this politically motivated complaint has been thrown out. Such vexatious claims of impropriety in office were untrue and unfounded.

An independent review by the government internal audit agency similarly showed the claims made by the Labour party were false.

This was not a policing matter, and we consider this was a waste of police time.

BlodwynPig

Enough to drive you to....what?

I don't know any more. Complete impotence. Like being told "Yes sir, of course you can make a complaint. But it must be in writing. Written using only a Dodo quill. In dinosaur blood. Together with a cheque for 50,000 pounds so that we can send you an e-mail response after looking into your complaint. Which, due to backlog will take approximately 15 years. Here is a phone number you can call at premium rate to hear an Indian man say "You are now in position number 1 million 265 thousand 1 hunters and 82 in the queue".

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 21, 2020, 09:25:35 PM
K is so fucking bad at her job. half-arsed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1263430762247999489

the glorious day, bop bop bop

Another jilted piece of Boris fanny glugs back a bottle of red and sobs

idunnosomename

why the fuck do so many posh birds want to fuck the horrid flabby lump of semolina that is boris johnson

steveh

Johnson's response to this was briefed to the press before it came out so they could spin it as more positive than it was. The emails involved had all been deleted and the relevant hard drives had all been wiped or destroyed.

Someone on Twitter who was I think around at City Hall when he was said that Johnson's style was never to write anything down to avoid leaving a paper trail and instead rely on his cult of personality to have his deputies and other underlings to do things they thought he wanted. The same problem with solid evidence happened with the investigations into the Garden Bridge. Every failing you're seeing in him as PM there was already a ton of evidence for when he was mayor but it never reached most of the country.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: steveh on May 22, 2020, 09:48:58 AM
Johnson's response to this was briefed to the press before it came out so they could spin it as more positive than it was. The emails involved had all been deleted and the relevant hard drives had all been wiped or destroyed.

Blimey! Have you got any relevant links?

QuoteSomeone on Twitter who was I think around at City Hall when he was said that Johnson's style was never to write anything down to avoid leaving a paper trail and instead rely on his cult of personality to have his deputies and other underlings to do things they thought he wanted. The same problem with solid evidence happened with the investigations into the Garden Bridge. Every failing you're seeing in him as PM there was already a ton of evidence for when he was mayor but it never reached most of the country.

Again, links would be good to see.

steveh

Emails weren't kept and data wasn't handed over as it was required when he left being mayor: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-criminal-investigation-news-deleted-evidence-a9527081.html

From Dan Anderson, who was the journalist who worked on coverage of the Garden Bridge debacle for the Architect's Journal which exposed a lot of the failures: https://twitter.com/FourthStreetDan/status/1263477620160823298

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: steveh on May 22, 2020, 02:57:30 PM
Emails weren't kept and data wasn't handed over as it was required when he left being mayor: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-criminal-investigation-news-deleted-evidence-a9527081.html

From Dan Anderson, who was the journalist who worked on coverage of the Garden Bridge debacle for the Architect's Journal which exposed a lot of the failures: https://twitter.com/FourthStreetDan/status/1263477620160823298

Nice one, thanks.

Buelligan

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on May 22, 2020, 03:33:24 PM
Then come back under an assumed name and burn it to the ground.

For deep cover, I suggest Bernard Tutherground.

Thursday

I don't quite understand this because it doesn't seem to fucking matter does it? Would he actually have risked prison time even if he was found guilty? Would it have hurt his reputation or done any damage or changed anything at all?

jobotic

I don't know why this particular bit of corruption is different.

How about Cummings deciding our fate despite being a criminal?

Gove giving his pal Toby Young hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money for his totally not needed free school?

Serco being paid to do anything ever?

steveh

Quote from: jobotic on May 22, 2020, 06:53:39 PM
I don't know why this particular bit of corruption is different.

Because there were specific laws / regulations against what Johnson did that could be invoked and in a situation where he didn't have all the control? The drip drip of evidence of wrongdoing appearing in national media may have a gradual effect in reducing confidence in him even if practically it doesn't affect him much.

With this government I think we're also seeing a change in the nature of British corruption. The old joke was that the UK doesn't have a mafia because the old boy network has already sewn-up the City where the only serious money is made. Now, rather than a general sharing out of riches among a wider elite, we're seeing a more selective approach where being in with the administration and directly supporting their political goals gives you increased opportunities.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: steveh on May 23, 2020, 11:14:18 AM
Because there were specific laws / regulations against what Johnson did that could be invoked and in a situation where he didn't have all the control? The drip drip of evidence of wrongdoing appearing in national media may have a gradual effect in reducing confidence in him even if practically it doesn't affect him much.

With this government I think we're also seeing a change in the nature of British corruption. The old joke was that the UK doesn't have a mafia because the old boy network has already sewn-up the City where the only serious money is made. Now, rather than a general sharing out of riches among a wider elite, we're seeing a more selective approach where being in with the administration and directly supporting their political goals gives you increased opportunities.

I completely agree with this assessment.