Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wuhan Bans Eating Of Wild Animals

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 21, 2020, 10:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

The terrible homogenisation of capitalist globalism. The erosion of local culture.

Anyone here ever eaten a wild animal?

What's the wildest thing you ever eat?

One of the worst things I seen in Wuhan was drunk shrimp. Just live uncooked shrimp in bai jiu rice wine and ginger, vinegar, light soy, scallion, garlic. They're leathered and then they get ate. Down in one. Evil to be honest.

Actual worst was 'chou dou fu', fermented grilled tofu that gets this like black mouldy rind on it.

It actually looks really nice there but the first time I smell it walking down Walking Street (that's the road name), I daren't turned round because I really thought it's a dead on the road! People say you get used to anything haha

Abnormal Palm

I didn't emphasise how bad the smell is on this stuff.

You ever left rice in a rice dish cooker for eight months through a 40 degree summer? When you open that, you instantly cry several layers off your eyeballs and every nose hair sublimes like a burnt hair.

Chou dou fu is like that but fresher, riper. There's a very visceral involuntary reaction it causes, like someone doing that Tango clap on your ears when you're daydreaming, except it's up your fuckin nose and in your mouth. Can't block it out unless you decide not to breathe, and so that's often what you do. You walk through a night market and it's like tinnitus of the nasal passage.

NoSleep

Ever tried the Icelandic delicacy; Rotting Shark (Hakari)?

Abnormal Palm

I've heard about that, it sounds awful. I saw Karl Pilkington try some sashimi which I think was 'prepared' in a similar way. Yep, funazushi it's called.

Just looked up the hákarl, and yep, similar. Awful.

Then again, I remember bringing some Stilton and Brie over for my Chinese mates and they thought it was diabolical.

imitationleather

When I was in Iceland I got the impression it's only faaaakin' tourists who eat that shit.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 21, 2020, 10:23:46 AM
Ever tried the Icelandic delicacy; Rotting Shark (Hakari)?

Iceland's Prawn Rings are TOO DIE FOR

BlodwynPig

In the borderlands of Germany and Czechia I had a cold platter of "wild meats"...roe deer, duck, rabbit, boar.

STINKING AND VOMIT INDUCING. So strong but the duck was particularly nasty.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 21, 2020, 10:47:01 AM
In the borderlands of Germany and Czechia I had a cold platter of "wild meats"...roe deer, duck, rabbit, boar.

All I ever got in Czechia was dumplings, dumplings, potato dumplings and dumplings, Radegast, slivovice and dumplings. All very bland

idunnosomename

If you jog through a load of midges and swallow one do you go to prison

Bazooka

I've eaten plenty of wild animals but they were indigenous and killed locally and straight to plate (not in China with the exception of deer near the great wall). But this is a good thing, I'm actually surprised China is doing this, I thought they would just say ah yeah we are gonna clamp down on it, but not do anything, I mean they still might and just lie about it.  I've had some bad organs in China, but I usually don't order them myself because it's the texture that puts me off above taste and smell, usually quite bland anyway.

wooders1978

Had squirrel skin in Estonia, drew the line at a bear steak though, but was on offer

Also had "wild boar" sausages from Waitrose, outlawed in Wuhan now

Eating a live shrimp is "evil"? Oh my.

Seems about equivalent to eating a live grasshopper to me.

Abnormal Palm

Yeah, approximately. You got it buddy. EVIL.

You ever see a shremp with a glaze look in his eye because he's shit faced on rice wine and he just wants to escape to the sea? Guy's trying to swim and breathe but he's getting more and more pissed with every breath looking up and his every breath burns with pungent ginger and garlic and chilli and it's not even water, it's like 56% barrel proof booze. In a little bowl or saucer and you just see that lil black 8-ball eye on a pink thing and although it has no real consciousness, it's aware of you and it sees you even if it doesn't know what it's looking at and it's in fight or flight mode but it's too pissed to go anywhere, like fuckin locked in syndrome for shremp and then some fuckin Wuhan total cunt just crunches through his fucking back and then lil 8-balls go bright black and seen the inside of the guy's intestines and then they stop doing anything and they're just shiny black ballpoint nibs. Too bad. Ooh, I fancy another.

Endicott

The Crumb

Wanted to try the fresh sashimi at the big seafood market in Busan, lost appetite/courage/interest after witnessing a seller grappling with a large, live octopus and basically tearing it in half. Had some lovely chicken elsewhere instead, which had been inhumanely kept and slaughtered out of sight, as is proper.

Cuellar

Saw a terrible video of a woman doing that to squids on youtube. Torturing them to death basically, for lols. Apparently it's allowed on that youtube.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Crumb on May 21, 2020, 05:02:13 PM
Wanted to try the fresh sashimi at the big seafood market in Busan, lost appetite/courage/interest after witnessing a seller grappling with a large, live octopus and basically tearing it in half. Had some lovely chicken elsewhere instead, which had been inhumanely kept and slaughtered out of sight, as is proper.

Busan sea food is wonderful, I only had the octopus once when I lived there, it's not worth the time or effort, let alone a bloke ripping it in two, but I was sat near my schools principle, Mr Lee was a top bloke so ate it for him.

wooders1978

Seen old boy? Cracking octopus action there

The Crumb

Quote from: Bazooka on May 21, 2020, 05:20:54 PM
Busan sea food is wonderful, I only had the octopus once when I lived there, it's not worth the time or effort, let alone a bloke ripping it in two, but I was sat near my schools principle, Mr Lee was a top bloke so ate it for him.

I absolutely loved what I did eat there. I had one of my favourite dinners of all time barbecuing increasingly gigantic shellfish in one of the beachfront tent places.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Crumb on May 21, 2020, 06:51:36 PM
I absolutely loved what I did eat there. I had one of my favourite dinners of all time barbecuing increasingly gigantic shellfish in one of the beachfront tent places.

Yeah that's a real treat, and the tent ajummas are absolutely wonderful women. Fuck I miss that city.

momatt

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 21, 2020, 10:47:01 AM

Those things should be normally tasty.  What had they done to them?

Schmo Diddley

Quote from: momatt on May 22, 2020, 07:22:37 AM
Those things should be normally tasty.  What had they done to them?

Not cooked them?

steveh

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 21, 2020, 10:16:25 AM
Chou dou fu is like that but fresher, riper.

Stinky tofu's similarity in smell to public toilet urinals is what's always stopped me ever trying the grilled version. The boiled version is used in several dishes though and is perfectly fine as far as tofu goes.