Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Justice League - Snyder Cut to be released

Started by Custard, May 21, 2020, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

I know CaB can't wait!!!

BBC News - Zack Snyder's Justice League re-cut headed for HBO Max
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52749246

I reckon Bats will kill at least 500 people in this version, and I can't wait

Small Man Big Horse

If it still has the "Martha" scene in then I'll watch it, otherwise I'm out.

Fr.Bigley

You're fucking kidding me? Jesus Christ this is the news I've been waiting for for the last 30 seconds. Will there be super gentleman, Flying rodentman and watery fella involved too? "I'm onboard"...is what I would be saying if another poster said "we're going to get rid of this insufferable comic guy"

Custard

I reckon Super Flying Person will be bad and dressed in his black Spandex for a portion of the film to convey his badness to the viewers

Batman will then punch his head in and run him over

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 21, 2020, 11:10:01 AM
I reckon Super Flying Person will be bad and dressed in his black Spandex for a portion of the film to convey his badness to the viewers

Batman will then punch his head in and run him over

I agree with your synopsis my Goodfellow

beanheadmcginty

Wasn't Snyder's original plan to have two Justice League films? If so, I hope this is interminably long. It's gonna be so shit, I can't wait.

samadriel

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 21, 2020, 10:58:53 AM
If it still has the "Martha" scene in then I'll watch it, otherwise I'm out.

Wrong movie.
This'll be shit, not based on the shitness of the original version, which is apparently quite different to Zack's vision, but based on the fact that Zack Snyder is a catastrophically shit filmmaker. I'll probably watch it though for a laugh, although I've read that it might manifest as a miniseries, so it might be asking a bit much.

bgmnts

Zack Snyder did direct the Dawn of the Dead remake to be fair, which I did like.

But yea he is mostly fucking shocking.

samadriel

Yeah, I don't mind his DotD, but his brain has significantly rotted since then. Watchmen and 300 were arse, Sucker Punch has a baaad rep (like I'm gonna watch that!), Man of Steel was shit, and Bats v Supes can fuck off.

Blumf

This news is far too light and optimistic in tone. The real dark and edgy thing to do would be not to release the Snyder cut, dooming legions of fans to wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Pleasantly surprised this is a real thing after so much online petitioning, but I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed when it doesn't remotely match up with the film they've convinced themselves exists.

Best thing would probably have been to never actually make it. Leave it as Schrodinger's Snyder Cut. Potentially a great superhero epic, but upon viewing of course it's a dead cat.

phantom_power

Have the people calling for this actually seen Man of Steel or BvS? Two unfettered Snyder Joints that are complete gash

SavageHedgehog

I'm interested in this because I think it offers a unique, or at least unprecedented, opportunity to get some insight into the workings of the modern Blockbuster machine. That said I'd probably have been more interested if it were the workprint rather than something with an extra $20million worth of VFX/revision, and I'm unlikely to subscribe to HBO Max should it ever come to this country, so I'm not sure my opinion counts for much here.

Mister Six

Obviously this thing is going to be shit regardless, but I don't understand how this is going to work. Was it even all in the can before Snyder left the film? Have Ben Affleck and Ezra Miller done reshoots for this despite leaving the DCEU behind? Has Warners stumped up for the CGI or is this going to be a workprint with a lot of visible green screen?

This line in the BBC article was weirdly specific too:

QuoteIt is not yet known whether the new version, set to be released in 2021 will be a six-part series or a nearly four-hour long directors-cut film.

Who said a series? Why specify six parts? Feels like they were mining comment thread speculation and dressing it up as genuine fact/queries.

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on May 21, 2020, 01:01:14 PM
Pleasantly surprised this is a real thing after so much online petitioning, but I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed when it doesn%u2019t remotely match up with the film they%u2019ve convinced themselves exists.

They'll pretend they like it regardless. Can't admit defeat now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Spiteface

Quote from: Mister Six on May 21, 2020, 02:03:42 PM

Obviously this thing is going to be shit regardless, but I don't understand how this is going to work. Was it even all in the can before Snyder left the film? Have Ben Affleck and Ezra Miller done reshoots for this despite leaving the DCEU behind? Has Warners stumped up for the CGI or is this going to be a workprint with a lot of visible green screen?

As I understand it, Snyder was nearly done filming before he had to step away from it. The extensive reshoots coincided with Joss Whedon being brought in. Reports varied as to how "complete" it was, but cast and crew basically have indicated that the movie that ended up in cinemas was mostly from the reshoots. There were things that even ended up in the first JL Comic-con sneak peek, that were either drastically altered or left out entirely.

https://youtu.be/g_6yBZKj-eo

Snyder at one point was talking like all it needed was finishing of FX shots and soundtrack. Likely wouldn't need any of the core cast back for that. So I assume they've just given him the money to finish it off, hence why it's coming next year rather than this year.

All I can say is, I look back at the other superhero/comic book movies that came out in 2017, and I enjoyed even the Justice League move that got released more than say, Thor Ragnarok.

Either way, it's good that this is finally put to bed, and hopefully teaches some people a lesson in why executive meddling is a shit idea. Because now people won't let you forget it if they know.

As an aside, in a different era, would Justice League have ended up an "Alan Smithee" movie?

Kelvin

It will be crap, but no way will it be as awful as the hacked up abomination that got released. I couldn't believe how bad that film was. Just the worst of both directors twisted together like a cinematic cenobite; ugly beyond belief, painfully unfunny, shallow, and truly, embarrassingly crap in a way that far exceeded the worst of BvS, in my opinion. Perhaps the most baffling thing about the entire film is that there's not actually any big action scenes or opportunities for the characters to show off their powers until right at the very end - and even then, none of it is visually interesting whatsoever. Other than the moment when Superman turns and sees The Flash running past, and maybe Wonder Woman's introduction, there's barely a flicker of creativity in the entire film.   

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: samadriel on May 21, 2020, 12:36:56 PM
Wrong movie.

Ha, you're not wrong, I guess I'm just scarred for life by it and think it's part of every Snyder movie.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on May 21, 2020, 02:03:42 PMWho said a series? Why specify six parts? Feels like they were mining comment thread speculation and dressing it up as genuine fact/queries.

Seems to have come from the Hollywood Reporter. "At his presentation after the screening, Snyder outlined ideas for not just releasing the cut but the concept of episodes and cliffhangers."

Quote from: Kelvin on May 21, 2020, 04:19:40 PMIt will be crap, but no way will it be as awful as the hacked up abomination that got released. I couldn't believe how bad that film was.

I feel bad for Whedon. Not very bad, as he presumably got paid millions, but this whole thing seems discourteous to someone who seemingly was given the job of quickly making a 2 hour film out of scraps of the first half of a two parter. Snyder's original version would definitely be bad, and likely much worse than this new version.

Although either Snyder version should definitely look better. It'll be entirely set in grimdark steel night, but will presumably benefit from removing the red digital sunlight they smeared over the final act and the obvious greenscreen cutaways of Aquaman saying "bodacious".

Mister Six

Quote from: Spiteface on May 21, 2020, 03:46:15 PM
All I can say is, I look back at the other superhero/comic book movies that came out in 2017, and I enjoyed even the Justice League move that got released more than say, Thor Ragnarok.

That is an absolutely mental opinion to have.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Mister Six on May 21, 2020, 06:10:10 PM
That is an absolutely mental opinion to have.

Indeed. Total fucking sectioning material.

Spiteface

Ragnarok actively pissed me off in a way Justice League, as deeply flawed (putting it mildly) as it is, didn't.

Neither of which were even among my favourite superhero films that came out that year.
I don't make the rules.

Mister Six

Ant Farm Keyboard

Thor Ragnarok didn't have a Russian family who lives next to the Chernobyl reactor. Justice League automatically wins.

madhair60

Thor Ragnarok is fucking garbage, pleb tier shit, but it's still better than Justice League, christ

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Spiteface on May 21, 2020, 03:46:15 PM

Agreed. I liked the other Thor films but couldn't stand the wacky tone of Ragnarok.

Also really liked Watchmen.

*runs away*

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 02, 2020, 01:50:03 AM
Seems like Ray Fisher (Cyborg) didn't enjoy working with Joss Whedon

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a33026126/justice-league-ray-fisher-joss-whedon-abusive/

"Previously, Fisher praised Snyder for "empowering" him by allowing him creative input with his character."

I wouldn't brag about that if I were him.

SavageHedgehog

I'm no fan of Whedon, as a writer or a public persona, but it's just gossip at this point. It's silly articles are written about vague statements like this; the "Whedon has been criticised for his behaviour in the past" comment links to an op-ed about Whedon's work being "problematic", written when people decided they didn't like him because his ex-wife didn't.

Spiteface

There's stories doing the rounds about his behaviour on the Justice League reshoots (apparently it wasn't just Ray Fisher, he was also rather nasty towards Gal Gadot and a dick towards Jason Momoa - the latter explains a lot as I believe he was one of the first cast members to come out in support of the Snyder Cut) as well as stuff he's worked on in the past.

The one that somehow escaped me in the time since the show finished, was his treatment of Charisma Carpenter, basically for having the fucking nerve to get pregnant during filming of Angel.

https://www.distractify.com/p/joss-whedon-charisma-carpenter

The one thing that kept coming up when I searched this last night was that when Carpenter had given birth and was ready to comeback to the show, she was basically lied to about how her role on the show going forward. She had one of the best arcs across Buffy and (especially) Angel only to be killed off out of spite, essentially.

Then there's all sorts of gossip-y shit that I ended up reading last night, some of which, if actually true, would explain a lot. You can google that stuff yourself if you want.

Basically now, in my mind Joss Whedon has somehow become worse than Graham bloody Linehan, in that its harder to separate Joss from Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse (fuck Firefly, though), than it is Glinner from Father Ted/Black Books.