Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 739
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Justice League - Snyder Cut to be released

Started by Custard, May 21, 2020, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

As I say, perception!

They're still going to be terribly disappointed, aren't they? #ReinstateTheWhedonCut gonna be trending...

willbo

I grew up reading comics (my Dad and uncle are/were both collectors) and back in the 00s it really meant something to me when a comic book movie came out - the Nolan bat films, Raimi Spider-mans and first Avengers film were really big events to me. But this last decade has just been too much of it. Even the good ones - its like the boy in "Matilda" being force fed the chocolate cake. I just can't get excited about superhero adaptions anymore unless it's a good, quirky tv show, like Doom Patrol or Luke Cage.

C_Larence

The trailer for this is out now. Jared Leto's Joker literally says "We live in a society". This is going to be the worst movie of all time.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: C_Larence on February 14, 2021, 04:38:10 PM
The trailer for this is out now. Jared Leto's Joker literally says "We live in a society". This is going to be the worst movie of all time.
No way they didn't put that in there so suckers will tweet about how cringe it is. He got a reaction out of you etc

C_Larence

Quote from: TwinPeaks on February 14, 2021, 04:52:19 PM
No way they didn't put that in there so suckers will tweet about how cringe it is. He got a reaction out of you etc

Oh absolutely, but I think that's such a soulless way to make a piece of art (maybe being generous there) that I don't feel like I've come out of my reaction worse off than the person who just spent $70m and ended up with that.

Kelvin

Quote from: C_Larence on February 14, 2021, 04:38:10 PM

No he doesn't. He says "We live in a society where honour is a distant memory".

I think you lot are kidding yourself if you think this is going to be some hilarious flop that angers or embarrasses all the fans daft enough to want it. There's absolutely no way it will be worse than the bizarre Frankenstein's Monster that went to cinemas, and while it's obviously not going to be well received, it's probably going to get middling to okay reviews, purely as a result of favourable comparisons to that original Whedon version.

Will it make them any money? Probably not. But I'm convinced it won't get slated in the way BvS did, nor be as much of a mess. It's just going to be a middling Zach Snyder film, rather than an out and out disaster.   

Chairman Yang

Oh this is actually in 4:3, I thought that was a bit.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: C_Larence on February 14, 2021, 04:58:50 PM
Oh absolutely, but I think that's such a soulless way to make a piece of art (maybe being generous there) that I don't feel like I've come out of my reaction worse off than the person who just spent $70m and ended up with that.
Definitely. It's odd really - regardless of how messy his films are he's always struck me as a director with conviction in his mad visions. It'd almost be uncharacteristic for him to reduce the Joker's characterisation to an actual meme.

Goldentony

Quote from: Kelvin on February 14, 2021, 05:07:24 PM

I think you lot are kidding yourself if you think this is going to be some hilarious flop that angers or embarrasses all the fans daft enough to want it. There's absolutely no way it will be worse than the bizarre Frankenstein's Monster that went to cinemas, and while it's obviously not going to be well received, it's probably going to get middling to okay reviews, purely as a result of favourable comparisons to that original Whedon version.

Will it make them any money? Probably not. But I'm convinced it won't get slated in the way BvS did, nor be as much of a mess. It's just going to be a middling Zach Snyder film, rather than an out and out disaster.

This thing existing is enough for me, it's legacy or reviews or whatever I don't think I could give a fuck about but in a while it's going to be as if I hadn't watched it all happen. Remembering in a few years how this dogshit film nobody wanted to see or liked was redone for millions during the lowest point in modern human history for cunts only to end up with long form Juggalo fiction. I really hope this sticks around because studios doing stupid fucking things like this is whats going to destroy them, hopefully

C_Larence

He says the words "We live in a society", and as TwinPeaks suggests, they knew what they're doing

frajer

This whole venture really does feel like polishing a turd because of the myth that Zack Snyder made a masterpiece and it was coldly dismantled by the studio and remade into a terrible film.

I think the only reasons it won't get torn apart are because most of this shite has already been seen in the Joss Whedon version, and because it'll still be better than Batman vs Superman.

mothman

I think you lot are kidding yourself if you think this is going to be some hilarious flop that angers or embarrasses all the fans daft enough to want it.

Basically this. My go-to example is the first Spider-Man film. It's not very good. At all. But I remember that nobody was willing to confront its many flaws at the time. It had become this holy grail of the fandom, and when it finally emerged, they couldn't bring themselves to admit it is just a really bad movie. And JL will be the same.

Kelvin

Quote from: C_Larence on February 14, 2021, 05:45:30 PM
He says the words "We live in a society", and as TwinPeaks suggests, they knew what they're doing

Apologies, I didn't realise that was a meme, I thought Twinpeaks was just saying it was a non-sequiter. I've just seen the Joker "We live in a society" meme, and I agree that it's probably intentional in that case.

C_Larence

Quote from: Kelvin on February 14, 2021, 05:54:03 PM
Apologies, I didn't realise that was a meme, I thought Twinpeaks was just saying it was a non-sequiter. I've just seen the Joker "We live in a society" meme, and I agree that it's probably intentional in that case.

No worries, I shouldn't assume everyone knows every esoteric meme out there!

Butchers Blind

Genuinely there are some people who think they're going to get a Blade Runner Director's Cut here whereas it just looks like a slow moving car crash of rush job CGI.

Povidone

This thread is a wonderful expansion of "this'll be shit i reckon". I think folk are kidding themselves that 'we live in a society' line is anything other than a classic Snyder clanger up there with 'martha'. Any other interpretation is giving more credit than this pretentious twat deserves.

I get wanting to explore bigger themes and allowing comic book characters to become something more than what they were originally intended to be but for fuck's sake, 4 hours, in 4:3 and wanting it to be and black and white. FUCK OFF! The literal definition of pretension.

Im off to read Jack Kirby's fourth world omnibus to remind myself Darkseid isn't a brown cgi lump, part of a storyline that will go nowhere, shoehorned into a film made by and for idiots.

willbo

i think it would be ok, if DC movies ever get to carry on, to have Affleck as the "justice league" batman and Pattinson as the solo Batman. Then the solo series can be realistic crime that exists in a world without superheroes, and the JL series can be it's own thing. That's what they were gonna do with Arnie Hammer as JL Batman alongside Christian Bale, before that got cancelled in the mid 00s. Personally I like the thought of multiple Batman, Jokers, etc existing in movies at the same time. It feels more like real comics where you have multiple artists/interpretations.

Thomas

Yes but would they be called Batmen or Batmans

Or Batsman?

Bad Ambassador

Interesting that Hammer is now a real life "bat-man", as in he drinks blood like bats do and is a man.

Spiteface

Quote from: Chairman Yang on February 14, 2021, 05:08:45 PM
Oh this is actually in 4:3, I thought that was a bit.

It was shot for IMAX. Hence the aspect ratio.

willbo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 15, 2021, 10:43:07 AM
Interesting that Hammer is now a real life "bat-man", as in he drinks blood like bats do and is a man.

all the more proof we need him back in the role.

Fry

I'm proper excited for this. Genuine nostalgia for the mid to late 2010's when everything was shit and depressing and the whole world felt divided by some new stupid culture war issue every week. But twice a year there'd be a new DC movie out and everyone could get together and have a laugh and try to figure out how they keep shitting the bed quite so thoroughly.

Remember when the reports came out about Leto doing stuff like sending dead rats or actual bits of poo to his co-stars in an attempt to be all method, trying to generate some greater depth and deeper understanding of the 'twisted clown prince of crime', then the first images of him in character came out and he had "I'm well mad I am" literally written on his forehead. Hahaha. Like, the entire GDP of a small country to knock out a film that no one remembers or likes. Brilliant.

samadriel

You can't pronounce "method" without "meth head".

thugler

Wow this looks bad. Some of the CGI looks like the phantom menace.

Bad Ambassador

I didn't know Darkseid was a snowman made of Bisto.

Custard

I reckon Joker is gonna start off a baddie then become a goodie and then die. All in the 47 seconds he's in it

Alberon

Quote from: Goldentony on February 14, 2021, 11:25:38 PM
how is this longer than JFK

JFK was only six feet long lying down so it isn't difficult, really.

beanheadmcginty

My brain cannot accept that the name Darkseid is supposed to be pronounced "darkside" and not "darkseed". If Snyder corrects this anomaly (either by changing the pronunciation or spelling, don't mind which) then I will fully forgive him for turning Superman into raw sewage.