Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Justice League - Snyder Cut to be released

Started by Custard, May 21, 2020, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 22, 2020, 01:19:16 PM
Also really liked Watchmen.

*runs away*

Snyder Justice League should just be a 2-hour montage of superheroes doing random shit to Bob Dylan songs.

NEW PAGE EDIT: Also, since all Snyder films are 1000x better if you can imagine Alan Moore getting grumpy, they should go round his house and hide all his teaspoons every time someone streams the Snydercut.

Custard

I recall rumours of Whedon, super feminist, apparently using the old casting couch routine with young aspiring actresses. Sarah Michelle Gellar apparently hates him, but I think that's probably more down to how hard he pushed and worked her during Buffy. She claims it was ridiculously long hours and way too much pressure, and reading through the lines that has to be aimed at Whedon as she doesn't seem to have a nice word to say about him

Always found his obsession with Eliza Dushku weird too. Though she's never said anything bad about him, so who knows honestly. The amount of people claiming he's a knob are growing though. For someone who just five years ago seemed so likeable and at the very top of the business, it's quite the fall

phantom_power

It should also be taken into consideration that, according to Snyder, Cyborg was the heart of his cut of the film, so some of the acrimony with Whedon might be down to his part being cut back. Now it could be sour grapes or it could be that Whedon didn't act in the best way but it is worth mentioning. And also Whedon doesn't really seem to have previous in this department. Even that Charisma Carpenter article above has Carpenter sort of defending him and just saying it was really down to differing priorities.

He is no doubt guilty of some shitty behaviour, which as far as I cam tell he has owned up to, but I am not sure that has much bearing on this stuff

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Spiteface on July 02, 2020, 02:31:11 PMand a dick towards Jason Momoa - the latter explains a lot as I believe he was one of the first cast members to come out in support of the Snyder Cut) [/url]

This is doubtless just the coward I am speaking, but I'd be very wary of being a dick to someone who is built so that they could snap my puny body without a thought. And of course, maybe Momoa is a total softy at heart.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on July 02, 2020, 05:02:42 PM
It should also be taken into consideration that, according to Snyder, Cyborg was the heart of his cut of the film, so some of the acrimony with Whedon might be down to his part being cut back. Now it could be sour grapes or it could be that Whedon didn't act in the best way but it is worth mentioning.

Narratively it makes sense as the original version went harder into all the Darkseid and New Gods stuff, which is tied to the Motherbox that created Cyborg. Once it was downgraded to a single movie in which the heroes defeat some interdimensional interloper without too much Apokalips action, Cyborg immediately becomes the most expendable character, because he's not as famous as the rest nor is he still at the heart of the story.

Chriddof

The problem with the Snyder Cut is that when it's released, it will still be a film by Zak Snyder.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Joss Whedon has done some shitty things in his career, but the way everyone's acting about it, it's like Zak Snyder has been some blameless angelic genius throughout his entire life and his films are just ace. This is both weird, and absolute bullshit.

Glebe

Zack Snyder's Justice League | Official Teaser | HBO Max.

So apparently this is gonna be shown as a four-hour miniseries. Think the aspect ratio is cos Znyder filmed a of his stuff for IMAX?

Lord Mandrake

Synders musical cues are so obvious, so blunt,  he's such a fucking teenager. I saw watchmen again and it's all best hits of the 60s, 70s & 80s. I'm not saying they're bad songs but Jesus...

The Roofdog

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on August 23, 2020, 08:47:19 AM
Synders musical cues are so obvious, so blunt,  he's such a fucking teenager. I saw watchmen again and it's all best hits of the 60s, 70s & 80s. I'm not saying they're bad songs but Jesus...

He's using that song again as a petulant fuck-you to everyone who laughed at him for using it in that scene in Watchmen* isn't he

* which was everyone

Custard

Heh, true.

I do hope this is better than the released cut, especially after the horribleness of Snyder's personal life of late, but it's gonna be a great big mess isn't it?

But in a way that's entertaining enough to justify the watch. I still find Batman Vs Superman fascinating, as it's so badly made, with so many utterly bizarre decisions throughout. It's a true spectacle of wonky cinema. Love it

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 23, 2020, 10:27:03 AMBut in a way that's entertaining enough to justify the watch. I still find Batman Vs Superman fascinating, as it's so badly made, with so many utterly bizarre decisions throughout. It's a true spectacle of wonky cinema. Love it
I paid to see it at the cinema, knowing it had been slagged to fuck, and I'm glad I did because it provided a fair few big laughs at just how terrible it was. I'm no expert on making films, but just in terms of the the script there was parts even I could tell made no sense at all: "eh, so we need them to fight now? Ah, just have it happen."

The Roofdog

We need the Big Bad to reclaim the MacGuffin? Ah, just have them put it down in a car park and leave it there for no reason.

mjwilson

The "deeper meaning" of Hallelujah is that Snyder is salty about people being rude about it in Watchmen.

Kelvin

It's just a cringeworthy nod to the fans who wanted this, surely? As in "Hallelujah! The fruit of your labour cometh among you."

Phil_A

Such a desolate feeling seeing so many commenters on the youtube clip crowing and slapping each other on the back like they've achieved emancipation. Oh, so a giant media conglomerate that's desperate for subscribers to join up for it's new streaming service has decided to pander to your whims, what a glorious victory for you.

druss

Also don't quite understand how everyone is already saying how this is the version that should have been released when going by his previous work, this will almost certainly be absolute shit.

Struggle to be worse than the theatrical version though, admittedly.

frajer

It's certainly odd how much anticipation there is for this.

Somehow in the narrative, Snyder has become an underdog auteur who had his amazing culmination of a film series taken away and butchered by the evils of DC and the hack Whedon.

I don't see how anyone who's seen the grimdark dog-tod of Batman vs Superman can believe that there is a good film waiting on the other side of this.

Looks like the same grimdark portentous pish as the BvS trailer, which was a red flag to the shiteness of the film.

One of the great problems with modern day blockbusters is the director having too much say, and the editor too little.  I know it's being released as a mini series, but four fucking hours?  For a story about a villain no-one cares about and three magic boxes?  Whedon did everyone a favour by cutting it back. 

I bet nothing that is added improves the film on any level.  I just wish WB & the DC fanboy brigade would knock it on the head, learn from the mistakes, and reboot all of it in a couple of years.  They won't though - they'll just tell anyone who'll listen that this would've taken $2bn at the BO if it had been released.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: frajer on September 02, 2020, 12:49:22 PM
I don't see how anyone who's seen the grimdark dog-tod of Batman vs Superman can believe that there is a good film waiting on the other side of this.
Kelvin?

frajer

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 02, 2020, 01:01:03 PM
Kelvin?

Not me I'm afraid, I'm a former lurker, still a bit of a newboy. But sounds like Kelvin thinks Batman vs Superman was plops? We'd get along.

Custard

Snyder took 3 hours to tell the story of Batman vs Superman,  yet still fluffed it. Maybe the extra hour he has for this will make it aaaaall make sense

I really can't wait for this. Its gonna be ridiculous and shit and wonderful

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 02, 2020, 01:01:03 PM
Kelvin?

Heh. I dont think it will be good. I think its guaranteed to be better than the disaster they released, but that's about it.

The thing is, BvS is, imo, an interesting disaster. Something with ambition and (half baked) ideas that get buried beneath its nonsensical plot and tone deaf dialogue. I dont imagine Justice League ever had those themes/ideas to carry it. Its just going to be a mindless, grey slog.

Kelvin

I will, of course, watch it five times to be certain.

Custard

Hehe, how many times have you actually seen BvS Kelvin?

I kinda want to rewatch it myself after all this talk

I saw the theatrical cut once (so bad), and the Ultimate Cut twice (better, but still bizarre and badly written)

The Culture Bunker

To check whether I missed something on my only watching of Superman v Batman: was it made clear how Luthor knew that Batman = Bruce Wayne and Superman = Clark Kent. I remember it as being "he just does".

Kelvin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 02, 2020, 01:21:25 PM
Hehe, how many times have you actually seen BvS Kelvin?

I was just trying to work that out. Twice by myself, twice with different groups of friends (who I only convinced to go because I wanted to see it again and work through my trauma), and then once when it came out as an extended cut. So five times, I think. Four times in a cinema. I've been thinking about watching it again recently, but as time's passed, my over-riding memory is one of boredom, so I've not bothered.

QuoteI saw the theatrical cut once (so bad), and the Ultimate Cut twice (better, but still bizarre and badly written)

Yes, the Ultimate version makes slightly more sense, plot wise, but also adds in loads of filler that makes the runtime even more interminable. The same will obviously be true of Justice League.   

Kelvin

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 02, 2020, 01:37:47 PM
To check whether I missed something on my only watching of Superman v Batman: was it made clear how Luthor knew that Batman = Bruce Wayne and Superman = Clark Kent. I remember it as being "he just does".

No. But I'm not convinced it needs explaining really. He must have tech that can track Superman, and it's always been a joke that Batman's identify is obvious. Luthor's meant to be a genius with limitless means, so I can buy that he worked it out. Although whether that was right for a film setting up a "cinematic universe" is another matter.