Author Topic: Justice League - Snyder Cut to be released  (Read 26430 times)

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
Re: Justice League - Snyder Cut to be released
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
That's the thing isn't it, it feels like a fan edit will end up being the best cut of this. I actually wouldn't lop off much apart from speeding up the first third a bit, the diabolical singing at Aquaman, and the epilogue. But that'd already knock it down to 3.5 hours

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2021, 05:40:10 PM »
Already thinking about watching it again.

Oh Christ.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
Hehe! You're not alone though, as I deffo want to give it another watch in the next week or so. I find the film and the circus around it fascinating

bakabaka

• Have we got over our differences yet? (ho/hum)
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2021, 10:52:15 PM »
That's the thing isn't it, it feels like a fan edit will end up being the best cut of this.
Lois' chat with 'mum'
JLA revive Superman
Lois turns Superman
Superman wins.

All sorted in under 10 minutes. Plenty of time for tea and cakes.

« Reply #394 on: April 03, 2021, 12:00:07 AM »
I just saw some footage of it on YouTube. Why did they bother redesigning Steppenwolf so he's wearing a leotard made of tinsel?

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #395 on: April 07, 2021, 07:46:10 AM »

« Reply #396 on: April 07, 2021, 07:57:51 AM »
I just saw some footage of it on YouTube. Why did they bother redesigning Steppenwolf so he's wearing a leotard made of tinsel?

I remember Kermode's review of Watchmen including his opinion that Snyder cared more about the costumes the heroes were wearing than any character, plot or dialogue.

samadriel

• Help the muthafuckin' aged
« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2021, 08:10:29 AM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/chris-terrio-justice-league-batman-v-superman

I still don't think this fella should've been the one to write these movies, but it sounds like he had a better grasp of the subject matter than the dumbass WB suits. (And he didn't write Man of Steel, so he inherited some of the edgelord shit rather than inventing it.)

Ant Farm Keyboard

• 60 percent of the time, it works every time
« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
The guy also wrote The Rise of Skywalker.

« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2021, 12:22:23 AM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/chris-terrio-justice-league-batman-v-superman

I still don't think this fella should've been the one to write these movies, but it sounds like he had a better grasp of the subject matter than the dumbass WB suits. (And he didn't write Man of Steel, so he inherited some of the edgelord shit rather than inventing it.)

Fascinating stuff about having to work out the whole DC universe on the fly, before the individual films were even developed. Basically just guessing how underwater worlds would work, etc.

beanheadmcginty

• I'm gonna ring-rang-a-dong for a holiday
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2021, 04:12:36 AM »
It's generally fascinating that after all this time and experience studio heads are still happy to stint on the writing of these things. I doubt decent writers are all that expensive considering how many people want to be one, yet it's invariably the first thing that gets forgotten about when trying to make a blockbuster.

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2021, 04:18:53 AM »
It's generally fascinating that after all this time and experience studio heads are still happy to stint on the writing of these things. I doubt decent writers are all that expensive considering how many people want to be one, yet it's invariably the first thing that gets forgotten about when trying to make a blockbuster.

Casting couch culture

« Reply #402 on: April 11, 2021, 06:46:49 AM »

I suspect that when you look at all the skills required to write a blockbuster at this level - most notably the ability to somehow be a charming likable dude in a room full of suits throwing around the most idiotic suggestions you've ever heard AND also someone who can willingly tolerate their own company for the years required to be halfway decent at writing - there really aren't many people who can do it.

I've done a bit of extremely low-end advertorial writing over the years and it strikes me that on one very basic level they're probably pretty similar: you're not actually doing writing as it's usually thought of, you're re-arranging the clients' ideas into the form they want while still leaving them recognisably their ideas. Often they don't even have any clear ideas ("make this shit seem cool"), so you have to figure out what it is they actually want and then deliver that. And sometimes what they want is crap (or in SW's case, largely designed to sell toys).

So you somehow have to be able to come up with a script that can be made into a movie the general public will love, and also a script that a bunch of studio executives will be happy to take credit for, and also a script that has things the director wants to film, and also a script with characters that a range of big name actors can be considered for (and may demand rewrites if they say yes).

And the job is still generally treated like an afterthought and given to various famous people's kids to do.

Glebe

• It was just a bad fortnight.
« Reply #403 on: April 12, 2021, 04:16:07 PM »
Finally got around to watching the BvS 'Ultimate Edition'... doesn't hugely improve the movie, but it does give more of an explanation for various characters motivations and that.

Tags: