Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:34:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Justice League - Snyder Cut to be released

Started by Custard, May 21, 2020, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Kelvin on September 02, 2020, 01:46:00 PM
No. But I'm not convinced it needs explaining really. He must have tech that can track Superman, and it's always been a joke that Batman's identify is obvious. Luthor's meant to be a genius with limitless means, so I can buy that he worked it out. Although whether that was right for a film setting up a "cinematic universe" is another matter.
I dunno. I remember seeing a comic ages ago where Luthor builds a super computer to work out who Superman is, then smashes it up when he gets the answer "Clark Kent", as he can't accept such a powerful being would pretend to be someone so meek. And there was a bit in that Crisis TV crossover where Luthor scoffs at the idea of "his" Clark Kent being Superman as "he can't see past his nose without his glasses".

frajer

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 02, 2020, 01:57:12 PM
I dunno. I remember seeing a comic ages ago where Luthor builds a super computer to work out who Superman is, then smashes it up when he gets the answer "Clark Kent", as he can't accept such a powerful being would pretend to be someone so meek. And there was a bit in that Crisis TV crossover where Luthor scoffs at the idea of "his" Clark Kent being Superman as "he can't see past his nose without his glasses".

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman does my favourite job of explaining how a criminal super-genius like Lex never realises Clark Kent is Superman, even when Clark is interviewing him in prison.

Basically it amounts to Lex's blinkered arrogance in assuming that no-one could be clever enough to deceive him, especially the big lumbering ox that is Clark Kent. (That's another thing I really like - that in his mild-mannered persona, Clark makes himself slump and sag and wears ill-fitting, baggy clothing to hide his physique. It really is very well done).

Spiteface

Quote from: Kelvin on September 02, 2020, 01:46:00 PM
No. But I'm not convinced it needs explaining really. He must have tech that can track Superman, and it's always been a joke that Batman's identify is obvious.

Ra's al Ghul worked it out, who else could afford all that cool shit

There was a line by Alfred in one of Scott Snyder's new 52 issues, where he tells Duke (I think) that quite a few people work it out, but it's in proving the link that they fail. Which kinda makes sense, I suppose.

Of course before that, Bruce Wayne basically "admits" he's been funding Batman for years anyway.

Custard

I always just tell myself that Superman is so super that he just changes his face somehow when he does Superman

Hold on to that, and it all makes sense. Even if it's not true

Dr Rock

The idea that Lex (or anyone else) doesn't suspect Superman could be Clark because it never occurs to them that he would pretend to be someone other than Superman works in a world where Superman is the only superhero. But Superman is just one superhero amongst dozens or hundreds, and it's clear many of them wear masks so are probably concealing a secret identity, and are not eg. Green Arrow or The Flash 24 hours a day.

I prefer the explanation that Superman vibrates his face so it's always a blur.

Custard

What with the current pandemic and having to wear masks, I like to think we are all superheroes

It's a lovely thought

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 02, 2020, 02:14:38 PMI prefer the explanation that Superman vibrates his face so it's always a blur.

I love the idea that Superman is doing this to disguise his face.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: frajer on September 02, 2020, 02:04:07 PMBasically it amounts to Lex's blinkered arrogance in assuming that no-one could be clever enough to deceive him, especially the big lumbering ox that is Clark Kent. (That's another thing I really like - that in his mild-mannered persona, Clark makes himself slump and sag and wears ill-fitting, baggy clothing to hide his physique. It really is very well done).
It's been said numerous times, but Christopher Reeve really managed to do the switch between the two in amazing fashion. In most (TV/film) interpretations since, I've often thought they make 'Clark Kent' too confident in terms of character and physical stance.

magval

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 02, 2020, 02:14:31 PM
I always just tell myself that Superman is so super that he just changes his face somehow when he does Superman

Hold on to that, and it all makes sense. Even if it's not true

It is aye, Grant Morrison wrote about it in All Star Superman. That exact thing. He has such mastery of his body he can relax his muscles and posture and so on so that as Clark he looks completely different.

Glebe

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 22, 2020, 06:41:30 AMOh hurrah, Jared Lego is back

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-snyder-cut-joker-jared-leto-return/

There was that Joker card in the trailer, but I'm surprized they're doing this to be honest. Maybe we'll get something about the killing of Robin? In any case, not a fan of Leto's Joker (controversial opinion!) but it does sound like he got gyped a bit on Suicide Squad so fair do's to him I suppose.

Bad Ambassador

I'm really starting to look forward to this. It's going to be such a fucking car crash, it'll unite the whole world in hilarity.

Reminds me of going to see a preview of the remake of The Wicker Man. There was palpable dread from the audience about how bad it could be, then it actually started. It's worse than you could imagine, and the frequent laughter from the rest of the audience as we just relaxed and enjoyed the spectacle was fabulously cathartic. We all had a great time, it's genuinely one of my favourite cinema experiences.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Glebe on October 22, 2020, 01:56:40 PM
Maybe we'll get something about the killing of Robin?

Oh Christ that's what it's going to be isn't it, a flashback to Lego beating some kid to death with a crowbar.

Glebe

Ominous Dave

Presumably the skip of money they drove up to Joaquin Phoenix's house just wasn't big enough.

(I mean they could have easily retconned him into the series by making him the original Joker who Leto's character was inspired by, but oh who really gives a fuck by this point.)

Glebe

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 24, 2020, 12:13:42 AMPresumably the skip of money they drove up to Joaquin Phoenix's house just wasn't big enough.

(I mean they could have easily retconned him into the series by making him the original Joker who Leto's character was inspired by, but oh who really gives a fuck by this point.)

Phoenix's Joker exists in his own little universe though.

Glebe

Apparently Jared Leto's Joker Will Be Really Different In Zack Snyder's Justice League.

QuoteI wanted to, of course, honor what had been created with him because I thought it was really cool, but also... some water has gone under the proverbial bridge between when last saw we saw Joker in this sort of appearance. He's a road-weary Joker, I guess that's a way of saying it.

As long as they get rid of the terrible 'Damaged' tattoo on his forehead.

Mister Six

Spiteface

I would actually be into an actor returning to play the Joker in multiple films, but a different Joker each time.

I hated Suicide Squad, but that's because I can't fucking stand Harley Quinn these days, hence my avoiding Birds of Prey. I sort of get what Leto was trying to do in Suicide Squad, even if at times it turned out like Jim Carrey's Riddler in Batman Forever.

Still want to see a film version of the New 52 "Leatherface" Joker from "Death Of The Family"

Marner and Me

I watched Justice League the other day, I turned it off with 20 minutes to go. It really wasn't gripping.

Glebe

Quote from: Marner and Me on November 15, 2020, 07:11:19 PMI watched Justice League the other day, I turned it off with 20 minutes to go. It really wasn't gripping.

Mark Kermode 'just not trying anymore'.

Mister Six

Quote from: Spiteface on November 14, 2020, 05:58:06 PM
I would actually be into an actor returning to play the Joker in multiple films, but a different Joker each time.

Would fit with Grant Morrison's take on the Joker, certainly. Would need a better actor than Leto though.

Glebe

New trailer.

Hmmm, I can't imagine Snyder originally intended it to be in B&W.

Kelvin

Quote from: Glebe on November 17, 2020, 07:07:40 PM
New trailer.

Hmmm, I can't imagine Snyder originally intended it to be in B&W.

Is this your first time hearing about Zack Snyder?

Glebe

Kelvin

Quote from: Glebe on November 17, 2020, 08:21:01 PM
Eh?!

I was only joking. Just meant that Snyder is known for being pretentious. Things like the first promo shot of Batman in BvS were black and white. Im sure doing a black and white trailer was either his idea, or something he approved of.

Spiteface

Hasn't he actually talked about making an entirely black and white version of the whole thing?

More than usually certain this was his idea.

magval

Is that trailer in 4:3 or is it just my browser?