Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pen and paper RPGs

Started by Mister Six, May 22, 2020, 12:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Been a while since we've done one of these threads, but my old China RPG group has started getting together again over Zoom, so I thought I'd see if you lot are doing anything similar.

Well not just Zoom - we're also using Roll20, a neat little website that not only acts as a chat group, but also allows the GM to share maps and character sheets with everyone, and - if you're using a supported game - have players roll their various abilities with just a couple of clicks, with the computer taking into account the dice, stats, modifiers, etc. Well worth checking out - and from the looks of things, you can also use it to find public games that are about to start, if you fancy dropping in and playing with some strangers.

At the minute we're playing Stars Without Number, which uses the familiar D&D stats as its base, but is designed as a "sandbox" game. Apparently, that means that rather than following a specific series of arcs or storylines, the GM controls a whole city (or planet, or solar system, or galaxy quadrant) in which things are set up and happening in the background that may or may not impact the players, who are themselves free to zip about wherever they like, and mess around as they see fit.

To help with all that, the game has a bunch of online apps that randomly generate city maps, planets and solar systems, kitting them out with various factions and challenges that the GM can interpret or deploy as they see fit. From our point of view, it's just another game, but our GM seems to like it.

Anyway, that's our thing. What about you? You playing anything at the minute, or looking to?

Kryton

Currently got a DND game going on via Discord. Only a handful of players and a few of my own NPCs but it's been fun during lockdown and I've not played in yonks but it's put me back in touch with some old pals. It's a bit of a murder mystery theme at the moment.