Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:07:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Happy 93rd Birthday, MORT SAHL!

Started by MortSahlFan, May 22, 2020, 12:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Belated, but oh well... Of course, he's mostly known for revolutionizing stand-up comedy (before him was vaudeville, burlesque, and silly mother-in-law jokes), writing for JFK's Presidential campaign, or being an investigator for Jim Garrison in the only trial for JFK's murder, implicating the US government, but he acted in a dozen movies, too.

If you met him, please share.. Or if you've heard his stand-up, interviews, etc.. This is probably the only place that will garner a reply, since most people aren't aware of him unfortunately.

"Sahl" I know about him is he was a pioneering satirist who read out newspaper articles and made fun of them...I will try and devote "Mort"time to perusing more of his work.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Misspent Boners on May 22, 2020, 01:06:16 AM
"Sahl" I know about him is he was a pioneering satirist who read out newspaper articles and made fun of them...I will try and devote "Mort"time to perusing more of his work.
Cool. I would check out his interviews, too.

FYI - I had to do a lot of political research, mostly for the references and people... Anyway, please reply back and tell me what you think. CHEERS!

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Cold Meat Platter

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Malcy

canadagoose

Thanks for the OP, OP - I'm going to have to look into his work. To my shame, I had no idea who he was, but I'm going to have to find out now!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: canadagoose on May 26, 2020, 04:24:14 AM
Thanks for the OP, OP - I'm going to have to look into his work. To my shame, I had no idea who he was, but I'm going to have to find out now!

That's fantastic and all, but do you have a pun based on his name?

Mobius

canadagoose

dissolute ocelot

MortSahlFan

You're welcome.. Here's a channel with a lot of videos. I'd check out his interviews to understand him, as an introduction before listening to his stand-up albums (tons of references and sarcasm that is hard for some to identity, and his stream of consciousness, free association, improv), but there are quite a few recent videos (up until COVID) which is some stand-up (or sit-down), answering questions from live audience and online, current events, past events, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe7bu4-Tq255rX8g0lJil7A/videos

wosl

Prepare to set Sahl for the Mort(uary). Nah.  Happy birthday, Mort! 
Happy Morthday

Shoulders?-Stomach!

darby o chill

Mort calling orSahl, come in orSahl.
I'm sorry.

Barry Admin

He's phenomenal. Legitimately a living legend.