Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:29:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Compulsive lying.

Started by Hey, Punk!, May 22, 2020, 04:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
The Clash fan Janie Jones?

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on May 22, 2020, 12:36:04 PM
For a lot, it's about power, steam trains and lying. 

New Order consider anniversary release.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 22, 2020, 04:55:29 PM
New Order consider anniversary release.

It would've been a boat but the Welsh won't let Sumner near it.

billyandthecloneasaurus

There was a very regular poster on here who I haven't noticed around for ages, but I constantly thought chinny reckon when I read his posts because he always seemed to have anecdotes very specifically relevant to discussions on here, with the odd celeb name drop thrown in. 

I never called them out cus they were a good interesting poster, and I didn't want to be a dickhead, but part of me has always wondered if anyone else thought the same.  errr, PM me if you think you know who I'm talking about and think the same.

Sebastian Cobb

If it's the one that had something to do with making music appear on television, I will vouch for him. In a very small-world syndrome way, I know two people who know him well.

massive bereavement

I was in a lift once with Henry Rollins and Christine McVie, sadly I don't think they recognised one another.

wooders1978

I had a fake birthday in October (it's in July) after I changed schools as a kid, went from being one of the "youngest" in my year to being one of the oldest, plus all the privilege and respect that brings - so vitally important
Unfortunately it all fell to pieces after I accidentally revealed I'd enjoyed my birthday in France during the summer holidays - the "hold on your birthday is in October?" moment was so fucking humiliating

wooders1978

Quote from: massive bereavement on May 22, 2020, 06:33:41 PM
I was in a lift once with Henry Rollins and Christine McVie, sadly I don't think they recognised one another.

A friend told me that when he was in Japan, Avril Lavine got in a lift and flirted massively with him, calling him "so funny and cute" - he was 30 years old when he told this heap of bollocks 

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on May 22, 2020, 05:58:28 PM
There was a very regular poster on here who I haven't noticed around for ages, but I constantly thought chinny reckon when I read his posts because he always seemed to have anecdotes very specifically relevant to discussions on here, with the odd celeb name drop thrown in. 

I never called them out cus they were a good interesting poster, and I didn't want to be a dickhead, but part of me has always wondered if anyone else thought the same.  errr, PM me if you think you know who I'm talking about and think the same.

You mean this person?

Ham Bap

Knew someone at Uni who lied about absolutely everything. Work with someone else now who's the same.
It's like they never grew up past the age of 10. They always have to be the best at everything, do the best things, know the best people and are never ever wrong.

That piece of work they say they've done still hasn't appeared 3 weeks later and they mysteriously have to sit up till 4 in the morning working on 'something' before it appears.
Will never ever admit they don't know something or they made a mistake, which we all do and which is fine.

The more you're around people like this the more the whole facade falls apart and you just have to assume that everything they say is bullshit and a lie. They lie that fucking much they can't keep up with it all. Sad really. They're the exact opposite of how they think they're portraying themselves to be.

The fella I work with, I think he believes his own bullshit that much that he must believe it's all true.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 22, 2020, 12:24:06 PM
I remember doing this at times as a kid, not at primary school where I had a solid group of friends and less sense of peer pressure, but at secondary school which for me was very tough and competitive in all senses. I suppose it was to try and be liked or gain acceptance from others, all through being insecure and feeling that being myself wasn't enough. It wasn't compulsive but there would be occasions which looking back now with the benefit of hindsight just seem weird.

I remember this dragging on into uni although by that time I was using it as a survival mechanism to conceal or lessen things I had or had not done.

In both cases looking back, there was little value other than perhaps the mildest of white lies. As things developed and got worse on a personal level there was enough evidence that doing this wasn't profitable. I never really sat down and thought about it or made any conscious effort in that regard but I have tried to live life out in the open. Since being in longer relationships that has helped my confidence and obviously travelling around a lot and gaining life experience means that you have stuff to say, even if it is boring rubbish I don't feel like an imposter or inadequate anymore. I'm going to projectile my truthful tedious rubbish and you're going to like it mate, mmm, dindins.

The moral of the story is I suppose to stop giving a shit about what other people think about you, and be yourself because that's the only fucker you are, for good or ill.

Also I went bald. Hair = Lies.

After reading this I'm just going to be thinking you're really sat at home drinking a warm can of Foster's when you're posting in the Beer thread.

salr

Quote from: Ray Travez on May 22, 2020, 03:53:21 PM
Righto.
These strike me as unusual things for you to wish for. Your message is inappropriate, and appears to have no context in terms of what I posted.

ehh um, i imagined you as jonathan. then i wanted you to experience hurt. I am sorry, I Imagined you as jonathan.

salr

Quote from: salr on May 22, 2020, 10:07:54 PM
ehh um, i imagined you as jonathan. then i wanted you to experience hurt. I am sorry, I Imagined you as jonathan.

fuck off viero

dannyfc

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 22, 2020, 12:24:06 PM
I remember this dragging on into uni although by that time I was using it as a survival mechanism to conceal or lessen things I had or had not done.

Oftt I can relate to this hard.

Definitely imposters syndrome for me. Always felt I lacked any real identity growing up, so would make up petty things to sound more interesting. Becomes a minefield when you've told different groups different things. Also used to allude to past trauma when I went through a spate of depression, purely as I had no other reason to justify being sad all the time.

Fortunately grown out of it the more comfortable I am in myself and less concerned of other people. Although still find myself tweaking minor details in anecdotes to try and make them funnier.

salr

Thing of it is, john would lie to get you into trouble.

I didn't have many friends, so I thought that was what 'friends' did.

It is looking back now I can see how he damaged me.

Perhaps looking back I damaged him to by beeing accepting of his pies (I meant to type lies there but fuckitpost pies is funnier)

Pabst

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on May 22, 2020, 07:57:29 PM
You mean this person?
Haha, fair enough, I wouldn't say anything I've posted was particularly interesting or even met the low bar of an anecdote to be honest, but thanks.

Jockice

Quote from: wooders1978 on May 22, 2020, 06:41:52 PM
I had a fake birthday in October (it's in July) after I changed schools as a kid, went from being one of the "youngest" in my year to being one of the oldest, plus all the privilege and respect that brings - so vitally important
Unfortunately it all fell to pieces after I accidentally revealed I'd enjoyed my birthday in France during the summer holidays - the "hold on your birthday is in October?" moment was so fucking humiliating

Almost every time I've told anyone my age throughout my adult life the reply is: "Ooh, you don't look it." Yeah, very nice and all that but it also gets extremely boring after a while. So on a press freebie just over a decade ago while having a meal with the other people on the trip when I was asked my age I decided to lie. I was 43 but said I was 35.

Cue the owner of the French b&b we were staying in telling me he was too. He then asked me which month I was born in. Fair enough, I told him and he told me his. It was a lot earlier month than mine and to my horror he then asked me what year I was born in. I don't think he was trying to catch me out or anything, just attempting to make conversation in what was after all his second language.

Cue about 30 seconds - although it felt a lot longer - of me frantically doing mental arithmetic to try and work it out. I think I got away with it. So today's top tip is if you're going to lie about your age, lop exactly a decade off. Don't try and be clever.

Buelligan

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on May 22, 2020, 07:57:29 PM
You mean this person?

OH.  WHY'S THAT THEN?

Not that I'd believe you if you told me.

Dewt

Quote from: Jockice on May 23, 2020, 07:25:44 AM
Almost every time I've told anyone my age throughout my adult life I get told: "Ooh, you don't look it." Yeah, very nice and all that but it also gets extremely boring after a while. So on a press freebie just over a decade ago while having a meal with the other people on the trip when I was asked my age I decided to lie. I was 43 but said I was 35.

Cue the owner of the French b&b we were staying in telling me he was too. He then asked me which month I was born in. Fair enough, I told him and he told me his It was a lot earlier month than mine and to my horror he then asked me what year I was born in. I don't think he was trying to catch me out or anything, just attempting to make conversation in what was after all his second language.

Cue about 30 seconds - although it felt a lot longer - of me frantically doing mental arithmetic to try and work it out. I think I got away with it. So today's top tip is if you're going to lie about your age, lop exactly a decade off. Don't try and be clever.
Or make sure you were born in a nice round year.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

If he believed you, why would he ask you what year you were born in? Second language or not, he himself knew what year he was born in, didn't he? Also, you probably shouldn't go on " Countdown", as you'll be scuppered during the maths round, given that adding eight years to your actual birth date took you a panicky thirty seconds.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 23, 2020, 09:38:08 AM
If he believed you, why would he ask you what year you were born in? Second language or not, he himself knew what year he was born in, didn't he? Also, you probably shouldn't go on " Countdown", as you'll be scuppered during the maths round, given that adding eight years to your actual birth date took you a panicky thirty seconds.

Who knows?  He was French after all. I don't think it would be a great reveal on his part. Man who it is generally thought of as looking younger than he is actually isn't that young. I don't know why I lied anyway. I don't usually. I'm dreading the lovely lass who cuts my hair asking though because she once laughed as she mentioned someone trying to chat her up, adding: "And he's old enough to be my dad." He's a year older than me....

(The lass who cut my hair before her said she thought I was in my early 30s when I told her five years ago. I'm not making this stuff up you know)

I've never seen Countdown. Not even once. True fact.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 23, 2020, 09:38:08 AM

Or maybe he was lying too. Just thought of that. He was trying to hoodwink me.

Cerys

Quote from: Jockice on May 23, 2020, 09:56:37 AM
I've never seen Countdown. Not even once. True fact.

You disgust me.

Ray Travez

Quote from: salr on May 22, 2020, 10:07:54 PM

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

spaghetamine

I used to do this so much as a kid that I would end up coming full circle and believing my own weird pointless lies which would start to replace the original memory. Not good! I trained myself to not do this anymore although I'm sure the odd one still slips through from time to time.

Buelligan

I know someone like that, an adult.  I don't know them any more because I refuse to have any contact with them and have moved countries without leaving a forwarding address.  But I did know someone like that.  They did the most dreadfully terrible cruel things, beyond belief - terrible evil betrayals - you can't even begin to imagine.  I'm not sure if they entirely believed their own lies because when we were alone, they would smirk and hiss.  Nevertheless, I congratulate you on leaving this habit behind, in some cases it can grow into something truly monstrous.  I am not even lying.

Jockice

Quote from: Cerys on May 23, 2020, 10:00:03 AM
You disgust me.

To be fair though, I disgust most people.

salr

Quote from: Buelligan on May 23, 2020, 11:33:08 AM
I am not even lying.

wERE THERE STEAM TRAINS AT MAIDSTONE East.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The truth is, I always lie.

Tony Tony Tony

The lie is, I always tell the truth.

Edit: Except when it comes to steam trains