Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Open-toed sandals

Started by Blinder Data, May 22, 2020, 10:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

My sore COVID TOES and pleasant weather makes me want to walk around outside in sandals.

But is it possible to wear them and not look like a middle-aged ale-swilling boring bastard div?

I'm on thin ice in the cool stakes as it is, and I fear this might plunge me into icy waters for good.

Your opinions on open-toed sandals and recommended brands for hip men under the age of 30 (just) are welcome.

jobotic

My friends have started wearing them. I never will until I'm in my seventies and have clawfeet.

We're all in our late forties.

BlodwynPig

For the ultimate in chic fashion, pair your sandals with some off-grey nylon socks.

imitationleather

Late forties is as good a time as any to give the fuck up.

chveik

is that a Brit thing, being embarrassed about wearing sandals?

Buelligan

Is it legal to show and share your covid toes?  I feel it shouldn't be.

Butchers Blind

Put your manky feet away.

chveik

I'd kill for a big plate of covid toes

Dex Sawash

Dewt

I think the smear up the side of the bowl didn't help me sell those as appetising

Sebastian Cobb

I suppose the alternative is crocs so really you can't win for losing.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I do have a pair of flip flops for lounging about in the garden in, but I'd never wear them out and about, because:

1. I'd look like a cunt.
2. I'd be terrified of them flying off if I had to run for a bus or something.
3. I'd look like a cunt.

Dex Sawash

Does hivemind have an opinion on Adidas Slides?

(asking 4 friend)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Acceptable if you work in a leisure centre.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 22, 2020, 02:00:53 PM
Does hivemind have an opinion on Adidas Slides?

(asking 4 friend)

Pool shoes though aren't they though. (See above post)

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 22, 2020, 10:51:07 AM

Your opinions on open-toed sandals and recommended brands for hip men under the age of 30 (just) are welcome.

Have a look at Teva sandals. Used to live in them at that age during the warmer parts of the year.

I asked some fashionistas about this, and the general consensus was 'OK, as long as you are also wearing a bum bag'.

wosl

Another vote for Tevas.  Due to outbreaks of horridly itchy dermatitis, I've been wearing them in the warmer weather (the 'Winsted' model) to keep the feet cool, and they work great - no flipping or flopping - as well as being pleasingly no-frills design-wise and, yeah, fuck anyone who looks askance (which would include the spirit-realm or whatever version of myself in my twenties and thirties).  I understand that Chacos are a good alternative to Tevas - broadly similar in form, but with a different strapping system.

Buelligan

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 22, 2020, 01:59:27 PM
I do have a pair of flip flops for lounging about in the garden in, but I'd never wear them out and about, because:

1. I'd look like a cunt.
2. I'd be terrified of them flying off if I had to run for a bus or something.
3. I'd look like a cunt.

I wear flipflops all the time out of doors in summer because:

• They're practical.
  • They're cheap.
  • I'm poor.
  • I'm a cunt.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Have they ever flown off while you were running for a French bus?

Buelligan

Don't go on buses.  Worst I've had is walking a fuck of a long way in the boilers and one of the little mushrooms under the toe thing wearing out and popping off.  Leaving me shoeless and my poor darling foot suffering severe calefaction.  I am not even lying.

The Bumlord

I will not countenance the baring of mens' feet in any weather. I hate summer.

wosl

I think at some point you'll come realise what a pointless hang-up that is.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Buelligan on May 22, 2020, 03:36:44 PM
Don't go on buses.  Worst I've had is walking a fuck of a long way in the boilers and one of the little mushrooms under the toe thing wearing out and popping off.  Leaving me shoeless and my poor darling foot suffering severe calefaction.  I am not even lying.

I'm afraid I don't know what boilers are, in this context. Or mushrooms. Are we still talking about flip flops?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: wosl on May 22, 2020, 03:43:21 PM
I think at some point you'll come realise what a pointless hang-up that is.

Some men's feet should be covered up at all times, though. You could solve this problem by wearing socks with your sandals, it's about time that came back in fashion.

wosl

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 22, 2020, 04:34:21 PM
Some men's feet should be covered up at all times, though.

Well there's the ironical rub - it's often at the point at which this becomes most true that conditions develop that are eased to some degree by sandal-wearing (as in my case).  You at least have a fair bit of wiggle-room, style-wise, these days - the aesthetics of the Teva I find quite acceptable, compared to some of the lumbering designs of the past.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 22, 2020, 04:34:21 PM
Some men's feet should be covered up at all times, though. You could solve this problem by wearing socks with your sandals, it's about time that came back in fashion.

Would it be more or less weird if they were those invisible low-cut socks you can get for when you're wearing trainers with shorts?

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 05:08:21 PM
Would it be more or less weird if they were those invisible low-cut socks you can get for when you're wearing trainers with shorts?

Fuck knows what the answer is but I can definitely recommend it. Havent had rocks thrown at me for doing it yet.

Sebastian Cobb

Do you not miss the straplines from going nudey feet?