Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:26:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Open-toed sandals

Started by Blinder Data, May 22, 2020, 10:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 05:39:05 PM
Do you not miss the straplines from going nudey feet?
I dont do it all the time, its more evening wear really.

I never got round to clip in sandals for the bike, plenty of folk wear them with waterproof socks in bad weather.

Plenty might be an exaggeration but I can think of three off the top of my head.

My uncle is so stereotypically German-looking that on Mediterranean holidays he's regularly addressed in German by holidaymakers who assume him to be a fellow countryman. As his wife says, a quick glance at his feet, shod in leather open-toed sandals teamed with beige ankle socks, would be enough to instantly identify him as an Englishman.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Does he wear one of those helmets with a spike on the top?

Not that I've ever seen. Here's a pic taken at his eldest daughter's wedding a few years back.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brian Freeze on May 22, 2020, 06:35:05 PM
I dont do it all the time, its more evening wear really.

I never got round to clip in sandals for the bike, plenty of folk wear them with waterproof socks in bad weather.

Plenty might be an exaggeration but I can think of three off the top of my head.

I tried driving in sandals once and it was really fucking weird. It felt like I pushing a lot harder on the pedals than I was.

Unlike mother Cobb, who has never worn shoes to drive apparently.

Blinder Data

Thanks for the Teva recs. They look pretty good. However, I'm considering spending a bit more and getting the biggest baddest sandals in town: the Merrell Kahuna III!

My wife nearly threw up when she saw them. She doesn't want to see my toes when I'm out and about. But the only "trendy" ones I could find were on GQ's list of sexy flip fops that cost around 350 quid. Something's gotta give.

Can't wait to bag a munro wearing these, join CAMRA and vote Brexit

wosl

I've never tried Merrell sandals, but I've found their trail/fell-type shoes to be cut on the narrow side.  Keen do some nice, rugged sandal designs which will definitely be more generous width-wise and in the toe-box (they notably do a few enclosed-toe sandal designs), if that's something that has to be considered.

Dex Sawash

Can you not just wear a pair of 3 month old Chuck Taylors with the side blown out

Buelligan

Fucking hell, hark at Imelda Marcos there.  Three month old. 

Marner and Me

I'm too young and too trendy to be in a pair of Nike Air Jesus'

chveik

can we have a pic of those covid toes? I need some new wanking material

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 22, 2020, 05:53:53 PM
BIRKENSTOCKS!

I am tempted to get myself a pair of these:

Gotta be the blinging ones though.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: wosl on May 24, 2020, 03:53:43 PM

Keen Clearwater CNX.

Possibly my favourite shoe ever. They come in half-sizes and the antimicrobial footbed mostly manages to neutralise my Geneva Convention-shattering hoof-stench. They're light enough to swim in, yet grippy and sturdy enough for hiking and outdoor running alike. Wearing black trainer-socks under my all-black pair, they look like trainers to all but the most intrusive inspection. I now want a red pair as well but they're a bit of a holy grail as Keen has discontinued the brightly coloured CNX in gents' sizes alas. 

Keen's Newport, Arroyo and Targhee shandal ranges are wider to suit those with more expansive trotters, but the more deeply curved lip around the edge means that once you get a stone in there you're gonna have to remove the whole shandal to get it out again rather than nimbly wiggle out the offending pebble with your prehensile tootsies. The chunkier soles make swimming in them rather more effort too. All apart from Newport H2 (including Newport "waterproof") also use a lot of leather in their construction which takes ages to dry, but Newport H2 has quick-dry webbing straps should that facet of shandal ownership be an issue. Or try not pissing on your feet - shandals-without-socks in a pub pissoir is an abject forensic horror.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on May 26, 2020, 03:09:38 AM
KEEN stuff

Thank you. I have bought myself some Keen H2 Newports in half a size larger than my usual, which some people online have recommended. They are not open-toed so frankly I feel like a fraud having started this thread, but they look the business and I can't wait to get tiger-patterned sunburn on my feet.

Blue Jam

What's the warning symbol for? To warn others that the wearer might be a bit of a twat?

;)

I don't think I'd feel comfortable hiking in those, I'd worry the exposed bits of my feet would get scratched to fuck. Got some Solomon GTX boots for hiking purposes. I can see how sandals might be better for ease of stone removal though, I seem to get lots of little stones in my boots unless I wear thick socks.