Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Techmoan (the YouTube man)

Started by beanheadmcginty, May 22, 2020, 11:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

I am completely addicted to this bloke. I always thought that my interest in obscure cassette players was negligible, but apparently not because I lap up everything he tells me. Anybody else a fan?

Hand Solo

Him and Technology Connections who does stuff like explains how VCRs and old toasters work, oh and Thunderfoot who debunks crowdfunded products which usually use a fake promo video with no actual science to back up it actually being able to work. The other one I recently saw was Quint Builds who does stuff like inflate his car tyre with water bottles and made a tiny turbine in a drainpipe to charge his phone via rainfall.

Sebastian Cobb

There's Big Clive as well, but he describes comparatively simple elecrical/electronic stuff in great detail. I'm interested in some of it, but find watching it more taxing than Technmoan and sometimes skip over bits to the part I'm most curious about.

Uncle TechTip

Yeah, the heart tends to sink when Clive whips out his bit of paper. Here comes a full schematic and the occasional swear word.

Tech moan is great, such an easy presenting style, very enjoyable to watch no matter what the topic.

Sebastian Cobb

Retromancave, despite the awful name is quite good as well, a bit like a Techmoan for microcomputers and consoles from the micro era.

Spiteface

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 22, 2020, 11:42:27 AM
I am completely addicted to this bloke. I always thought that my interest in obscure cassette players was negligible, but apparently not because I lap up everything he tells me. Anybody else a fan?

I like his videos, some fascinating oddball formats and things he looks at.

I also like Techmoan for an oddly sentimental reason - if my dad had been around to see the advent of YouTube, I KNOW he'd have bloody loved Techmoan's stuff. Right up his alley. I find it oddly comforting.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, TechMoan is great, always check out his new stuff. I think I discovered him through his thorough dismantling of the... what was it.... that stupid Kickstarter box that scratched the shit out of your records.

Blumf

TechMoan is always good for the forgotten media formats, and the reviews are handy. And I'll heartily recommend Technology Connections who always manages to bring interest in to his subjects (I really want that toaster)

Also rate FranLab, lots of tinkering with old electronics, like a recent series on The Bina-View display module

Mr Carlson's Lab has some nice long-form videos restoring some old radios and lab equipment, quiet often really old kit going back to the 1930s, which have lovely insides. Soothing voice, good to chill to.

beanheadmcginty

Yeah I agree Technology Connections is great too. I finally got round to discovering how old colour TVs work via him. I'd previously chalked it down to magic.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2020, 03:12:00 PM
Yeah, TechMoan is great, always check out his new stuff. I think I discovered him through his thorough dismantling of the... what was it.... that stupid Kickstarter box that scratched the shit out of your records.

Oh yeah. Like one of those VW Beetle things but it looked a million times shitter and had the needle backwards.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on May 22, 2020, 03:46:32 PM
Mr Carlson's Lab has some nice long-form videos restoring some old radios and lab equipment, quiet often really old kit going back to the 1930s, which have lovely insides. Soothing voice, good to chill to.

There's also shango066 who restores old CRT tv's. Here's one showing off how all the electromechanical remote control gubbins worked on an old tv with an ultrasonic remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPRqW7l7r-A&t=1356s

Consumes 60w in standby!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

TechMoan, Technology Connections and Big Clive (Dot Com) are all regular fixtures for me. As one of the dopes who bought into Mini Disc way back when, I enjoyed TechMoan's video on the subject.

Big Clive's circuit diagrams are less enthralling, but I can't imagine the others swigging meths for our edutainment.

We're all lamenting the possible demise of BBC4 - and fair enough, too - but neither that, nor any other telly channel I can think of, would ever cover this sort of stuff in the level of detail that these lot do.

Sebastian Cobb

I wouldn't be surprised if Technology Connections did manage to get a presenting job or something out of it, based on his very professional presentation style and his ability to explain tough concepts quite well, a bit like how2 for nostalgic adults I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't either, mind.

earl_sleek

I find TC's manner slightly annoying at times, though his content is excellent.

I googled Neil from Retromancave when I first came across the channel as I was sure he must be a an actual presenter, but apparently no. Really nicely presented channel wth some great look at retro consoles and computers.

Sebastian Cobb

Nostalgia Nerd is good as well, he's good at explaining things but his style is far more rough and ready in a way I reckon he's perfectly comfortable with, I think, and the room with all his computers in is a working mess.

There's also Tom Scott but I think his stuff is a bit short and not detailed enough and I feel there are other people mentioned in this thread giving a way much more detailed information in a much more humble way. Also if you watch his videos it seems he's through your recommendations like a pissing puppy, almost as bad as the much-hated Ashens in that regard.

beanheadmcginty

The mad cunt's only gone and bought about 100 minidisc players.

Sebastian Cobb

I do wonder where he keeps all his stuff sometimes.

Osmium

His videos are really pleasant, thankfully he's not a droning whingebag like you might expect of someone with that channel name.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 22, 2020, 03:12:00 PM

Yes! Me too. It was the RokBlok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIJVdQkb1Q
And the follow up video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjDXgPDU94

The video actually had me in stitches because of how badly the gadget operated.

Blumf

What are people's thoughts on his puppet shows he sometimes does at the end? Any miserable cunts who don't like them?

Sebastian Cobb

If I wasn't able to oggle the minitel boxes they are sitting at, i'd probably skip them.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Blumf on May 23, 2020, 03:09:52 PM
What are people's thoughts on his puppet shows he sometimes does at the end? Any miserable cunts who don't like them?

I admit I'm not a fan, though it doesn't detract from my liking his vids. I think he's wise to keep them at the end. That said, he had a skit with them in the middle of his recent vid about the HMV 102 and it was ok.

Mustard is another good channel, producing rather slick videos about transport engineering and such.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 05:50:36 PM
There's also Tom Scott but I think his stuff is a bit short and not detailed enough and I feel there are other people mentioned in this thread giving a way much more detailed information in a much more humble way. Also if you watch his videos it seems he's through your recommendations like a pissing puppy, almost as bad as the much-hated Ashens in that regard.
I like his stuff. He did one video near here and it was indeed something I didn't know, despite living here for the better part of 15 years. He's someone I can easily imagine turning up on the telly, possibly making an appearance on the Royal Society Christmas Lectures or something like that.

Has anyone checked out Nebula? A lot of the Youtube content creators[nb]Ugh[/nb] I'm subscribed to seem to be jumping ship to there. I'd half-heartedly like to support them, but I'm a miserly git and I'm not convinced the amount of exclusive videos justifies the expenditure.

Blumf

More hot toaster action from Technology Connections!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLk1cjZ4ll0

God damn! I want that toaster!

The major toaster innovation I want to see is one that the bread actually fits into properly. The slices always stick out of the top by about half an inch or so.

Quote from: Osmium on May 23, 2020, 02:28:50 PM
[Techmoan's] videos are really pleasant, thankfully he's not a droning whingebag like you might expect of someone with that channel name.
His product reviews are a wee bit boring compared to the retro tech ones though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 30, 2020, 06:09:17 PM
His product reviews are a wee bit boring compared to the retro tech ones though.

There's one where he reviews a machine for making sausage and egg muffins. At the end after saying it's alright he despondantly concedes 'I have no sense of taste any-more'.

beanheadmcginty

How is he able to find all those articles in old magazines about the various old stuff he gets? Is there some sort of massive online searchable database or does he just own every hifi magazine ever printed? Both seem equally plausible.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 30, 2020, 09:17:04 PM
How is he able to find all those articles in old magazines about the various old stuff he gets? Is there some sort of massive online searchable database or does he just own every hifi magazine ever printed? Both seem equally plausible.

There are private libraries for these sort of texts, bit like academic journals. They probably have a subscription service.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blumf on May 30, 2020, 05:46:45 PM
More hot toaster action from Technology Connections!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLk1cjZ4ll0

God damn! I want that toaster!

Grandmother had the 4 slice version. My aunt lives in her house and still uses it. Got a new cord in the 80s, the cloth one was pretty frayed.

MojoJojo

OK, I'm into Technology Connections now.