Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Techmoan (the YouTube man)

Started by beanheadmcginty, May 22, 2020, 11:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Somewhat close to this, I was on-call for the vod streaming platform for a national television station when the IT department disconnected the wrong end of the UPS they were supposed to be swapping out, plunging the building with the main control room into darkness. That was fun.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 20, 2020, 02:10:21 PM
I've just spotted some other electrical madness.
https://www.reddit.com/r/electricians/comments/htwo88/every_sign_has_a_story_behind_it_i_guessor_more/

It seems it's not entirely uncommon for people to use this wiring between a generator and a plug in the house during a power cut.

<does shifty eyes thing>

Sebastian Cobb

Oh wow, it turns out Japan has an even worse attitude to electricity than the US.

beanheadmcginty

buzby

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 08, 2020, 04:09:04 PM
"Bumbox"
BTW, TP Vision was a joint venture between Philips and the Chinese display manufacturer TPV Technology, formed in 2011 in Amsterdam after TPV had bought Philips' monitor and flat-screen TV business in 2005. Philips sold it's 30% stake to TPV in 2014 but still licences the Philips brand to them.

That 'bumbox' has a very similar design aesthetic to the Philips AZ1565 I bought back in 2001, so I'm guessing TP VIsion are still using Philips' product designers:

QDRPHNC

For reasons I don't need to go into here, I received an exceptionally cheap "retro" cassette / radio deck from China yesterday ($12). Was quite amused that it does indeed have the same cassette mechanism as the bumbox.

Sebastian Cobb

Love how Techmoan has 2livecrew tapes.

boki

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 10, 2020, 04:35:29 PM
Love how Techmoan has 2livecrew tapes.

He definitely seems to have been quite the hip-hop head in the 80s and 90s.  Sometimes I wonder whether he and Al Needham were separated at birth.

beanheadmcginty

Love the way he shuts down cunty commenters. He's such a good natured man, yet is able to amply express his frustration without coming across as angry. He could be the new Dalai Lama.

Sebastian Cobb

I've just discovered there's a climate science youtube channel that looks like it's presented by techmoan's long-lost artist brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urHqk7TLSUo

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 22, 2020, 12:29:31 PM
Him and Technology Connections who does stuff like explains how VCRs and old toasters work, oh and Thunderfoot who debunks crowdfunded products which usually use a fake promo video with no actual science to back up it actually being able to work. The other one I recently saw was Quint Builds who does stuff like inflate his car tyre with water bottles and made a tiny turbine in a drainpipe to charge his phone via rainfall.

I watched Thunderfoots video on "Why Tesla Batteries are crap".  It seems a bit click batey and disingenuous because it turns out it's nothing really specific to Tesla, just that Batteries are crap in general, and he prefers his old ICE car to electric cars because it gives him better range.  He only briefly mentions the environmental aspect of it all.  Shame really as i like his style and he seems like a super smart guy.

Sebastian Cobb

His new video is good, reviewing an old JVC boombox, that was featured on both LL Cool J's Radio and the Beastie Boys Solid Gold Hits, at one point he breaks down the eq settings on the LL and Beastie artwork.

Hand Solo

It's all getting incestuous as I just caught Techmoan watching a Technology Connections video on Youtube, hands off, he's Dewt's!

Hand Solo

Technology Connections - Thermostats

There's too many Peep Show allusions in this one for my comfort.

Blumf