Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:12:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

P40 Lite

Started by Ian Drunken Smurf, May 22, 2020, 11:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Drunken Smurf

Currently struggling with a new phone - Huawei P40 Lite. Geezer in shop said it would be dead simple to clone my old P10 and bung everything on the P40 Lite. And it was until 50 apps were not moved over due to not working ad they come from Google Play Store, which P40 Lite doesn't support. So I am either going to have to de-Google myself or have old phone tethered to new phone to do geocaching and the like. Seriously Shit 4 Cunts.

Has anyone managed to sideload any Google guff and it works?

imitationleather

God damn trade war. Aside from this, Huawei phones are the best.

weekender

Oh, is there a trade war now?

I thought we were in a virus pandemic.

My OnePlus phone from a few years back is still going.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: weekender on May 22, 2020, 07:34:56 PM
Oh, is there a trade war now?

I thought we were in a virus pandemic.

My OnePlus phone from a few years back is still going.

Trump / the US have put Huawei on 'the list' that prevents people like Google from collaborating with them.

I imagine it has done this because Huawei own a lot of patents for 5g kit which is massively pissing off America both because it thinks American networking kit should get preferential treatment in the "free market" (although I'm sure it wouldn't pull this shit if an Isreali networking company held all the patents) and also because they had a pretty good sideline backdooring American networking kit.

canadagoose

Quote from: Ian Drunken Smurf on May 22, 2020, 11:48:35 AM
Currently struggling with a new phone - Huawei P40 Lite. Geezer in shop said it would be dead simple to clone my old P10 and bung everything on the P40 Lite. And it was until 50 apps were not moved over due to not working ad they come from Google Play Store, which P40 Lite doesn't support. So I am either going to have to de-Google myself or have old phone tethered to new phone to do geocaching and the like. Seriously Shit 4 Cunts.

Has anyone managed to sideload any Google guff and it works?
Which apps do you need? If you install F-Droid you can get a lot of free / open-source apps that way, but you'll not get actual Google apps.

Sebastian Cobb

If you can get a recovery prog like twrp you can probably add all the google stuff like people do with custom roms. Explore easier options first as it is a ballache.

Getting it certified can be a ballache though, so netflix and banking apps might not work unless you put some hacks in to fool it. Last time I tried that it didn't work and I had to restore from a backup and I got bored and found I could use the app I needed on a tablet.

I do think the salesperson was  being a prick by not making you aware of this; Huawei are good phones but they've been hobbled due to geopolitics.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 10:13:42 PM
If you can get a recovery prog like twrp you can probably add all the google stuff like people do with custom roms. Explore easier options first as it is a ballache.

Getting it certified can be a ballache though, so netflix and banking apps might not work unless you put some hacks in to fool it. Last time I tried that it didn't work and I had to restore from a backup and I got bored and found I could use the app I needed on a tablet.

I do think the salesperson was  being a prick by not making you aware of this; Huawei are good phones but they've been hobbled due to geopolitics.
Yeah, banking apps are a PITA to use with rooted and custom-ROMmed phones. If it's rooted Magisk can do some tricks to hide itself and the rooted status from banking apps, but TSB and Halifax in particular just don't play ball, in my experience. Netflix can work (or at least, it used to!) but only at 480p because of the lack of Widevine. Bit of a nuisance if you've got a phone with a decent-sized screen.

Edit: Might seem like an odd question, but OP, would you consider getting a dirt-cheap phone (about £30-ish?) purely to use with Google apps? Seems a bit silly, but it'd work.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Thanks all for the replies. I will tether my P10 to the P40 Lite to use my Geocaching app (I have the annual sub which I had only just renewed last month). Otherwise some of the games I played are not possible to play as I need Google Play for them to run. The biggest bummer is Cozi (our family calendar is through that and it was a godsend for coordinating us and three kids. And one internet banking app doesn't work, as well as StoCard style app I was using. The main issue is just about having to find alternatives and workarounds for a lot of things. I tried PhoneClone, but that didn't copy a lot of the apps I needed. I could handle having two phones, but with a work iPhone I feel a bit of a tit with three phones.