Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why do ghosts go “wooooo!”?

Started by Emotional Support Peacock, May 22, 2020, 01:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

kittens

Fr.Bigley

Because ghosts love Song 2 by Blur.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 22, 2020, 01:28:26 PM
Because ghosts love Song 2 by Blur.

Well, they love half of it, anyway.

Fr.Bigley

JesusAndYourBush

QI once informed us that one individual film is responsible for pirates going "harrrr!" and everything else copied it, so it's probably similar for ghosts, you just need to find the earliest movie depiction of a ghost going 'wooooo!' ... or perhaps going back before the advent of film maybe a ghost was depicted in a play going 'wooooo!'

Impression of a classic horror-score theramin? (This is intended to be a serious reply, but if you find it humorous I wish you well)

DrGreggles

Because they're on a rollercoaster.

Probably The Smiler...

idunnosomename

As mentioned above, it is because it is a spooky thing to say.

Nothing against them, it's 2020, live and let live, but might they be homosexuals? You often see gay lads on the telly making those sorts of "woooo" noises.
Might they just be camp entertainers with sheets thrown over them? Have we ruled that out?
We should hire a bunch of sheet lifters to go round and solve the mystery once and for all.
I bet it's all people like Alan Carr and Larry Grayson under there just pissing about.

Replies From View

Because they are trying to seduce you and don't know what "trying to woo somebody" means.

Cerys

Because they are incorporeal, and are therefore associated with air - the 'wooooo' noise is reminiscent of wordless airflow.

Hand Solo

Because they no like Sanfrancisco cocksucka.

Replies From View

i forgot to add that my suggestion is a deadly serious one

dead like a ghost

Chollis

man i got spooked just reading thread title

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Cerys on May 22, 2020, 02:11:16 PM
Because they are incorporeal, and are therefore associated with air - the 'wooooo' noise is reminiscent of wordless airflow.

It's true, no tongues or teeth to speak of. Or speak with. It's very sad, when you think about it. I'm going to set up a crowd funding campaign called Gobs for Ghosts, the proceeds of which I definitely won't spend on drink and drugs.

Johnny Yesno

It's either that or they're just being disparaging about the idea of the supernatural.

Same reason people do it at gigs. Attention seeking.

Brundle-Fly

Ghosts are often described as being trapped in purgatory because of some past foul deed they have committed or have had committed against them. That's why they're always groaning in despair. That's what Jacob Marley told me, anyway.

It's because they know who you fancy.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 22, 2020, 02:29:23 PM
It's true, no tongues or teeth to speak of. Or speak with. It's very sad, when you think about it. I'm going to set up a crowd funding campaign called Gobs for Ghosts, the proceeds of which I definitely won't spend on drink and drugs.

But they also don't have lips. Try saying wooooooo without employing your lips.

Polymorphia

Maybe they're just letting you know what they are, a wewe.

Jittlebags

They should move with the times and use the Sky Sports 1990s whoosh sound.

Sebastian Cobb

A lot of them are just spraffing em-radiation these days, they're in cahoots with the people that develop the detector apps for mobile phones.

DiClassomo

Can't do consonants, not corporeal enough.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on May 22, 2020, 03:51:51 PM
But they also don't have lips. Try saying wooooooo without employing your lips.

So, why do ghosts go 'Hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh!' anyway?

I've been stealing the thunder of ghosts for some years now by creeping up on them and sticking model aircraft decals onto them when they're not looking.  Which is why you see so many confused ghosts these days identifying as Messerschmitt 109s.

massive bereavement

Wind blows white net curtain into a room, wind makes a wooooooo sound, sheet gets caught on a hat stand, cuts two holes towards the top of the sheet, half asleep man takes little notice of it and goes back to sleep. Proper ghost then comes in, a real one that doesn't make any sound and cannot be seen, man wakes up sensing a presence, freaks out, next morning confuses the two events and tells everybody about it including the great great great great great great great great great great....... great great great great Grandfather of a man who animated Scooby Doo cartoons.