Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Furniture stores to reopen

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 22, 2020, 04:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Dfs and Ikea to reopen some stores, Furniture Village will reopen all of them.

QuoteCharlie Harrison, the commercial director of Furniture Village, said: "We are delighted to be officially reopening all Furniture Village stores this week in line with the latest government guidance." He said stores had been rearranged so every customer would be greeted at the entrance, where their temperature would be checked and they would be asked to sanitise their hands.

Staff will have their temperature checked before entering the stores and will be equipped with protective face shields and perspex screens in front of tills. Disposable pens will be available for paperwork.

No mention of a requirement for all customers to wear masks. Don't people tend to touch and sit on items quite a lot in furniture stores? Maybe there will be a no touching rule. Given that a lot of people don't understand the 2 metre rule though, I wonder how many people will adhere to that. Maybe they should give out rubber gloves at the store entrance.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/20/uk-furniture-stores-to-reopen-in-time-for-bank-holiday-weekend

Personally I think that if you have nothing to sit on, that's one thing, but if your sofa is a bit knackered, wait a few months until hopefully things are a bit safer to replace it.  At the very least, I think people should wear a mask if they have to go and buy some furniture. I imagine that most furniture store purchases could wait a while.

jobotic

Clothes shops next.

Let's get dying!

Sebastian Cobb

Not that I think this necessary at all, or should be happening, I reckon Ikea's one-way system and relatively spacious layout would be less bad than a lot of shops while distancing, from a purely navigational point of view.

Captain Crunch

Charity shops getting ready too, that's the only bit I'm interested in. 

I visited Wren Kitchens last week and their policies are about as good as you could hope for. Entry by appointment only, max of four couples in the store at any one time, hand gel on the way in and out, masks and gloves available if you want them, refreshments individually packaged, proper strict rules about distancing, one way system, everything labelled and cleaned after you touch it, designing done across two desks with mirrored screens, etc.

You might get away with something similar in a DFS as they are relatively quiet (although I'm not exactly sure how you'd keep soft furnishings clean), but an IKEA?

BlodwynPig

"if you want them"

fuck this.

Interviewed by Satan mid-apocalypse, Brian stated "I'm just waiting to spend my DFS vouchers on the leather 3 piece suite I've had my eye on"

Head Gardener

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 22, 2020, 04:22:30 PM

and the car boots start in Northampton next week and they are adding an extra day too so the same boot will be on 3 times a week, oh joy!

Fambo Number Mive

I really miss charity shops. I don't know how easy it would be for them to adhere to social distancing, especially as a lot of the shops are quite small. Maybe charities need to shift to a greater online retail presence but easier said than done.

Fambo Number Mive

At least the Southern US states which have been allowing all sorts of businesses to open up mandate wearing face masks. I wonder how many people will end up getting Covid because they wanted to go and buy a new table. I also wonder how many furniture stores will follow Furniture Village's promise of face shields and perspex screens for the staff who have to come to work to ensure people can buy a new table.

BlodwynPig

NORMALITY IS...

Buying a beige coloured sofa and nestling with a loved one in front of Netflix
Getting wasted with your mates at Wetherspoon's on the one night a month you're allowed out
Admiring your new hush puppies as you SAUNTER to the gym
Giving it some gas on the B roads outside of town and feeling like Jensen Button...again
Having a cheeky lager with your dealer before attending the funeral of the relatives you infected with max load of COVID.

Captain Crunch

I know it's not a typical charity shop bit I do admire Re-Use in Milton Keynes:

http://www.reusemk.org/

They've stayed open using online ordering and deliveries and now they're letting customers back in with good controls. 

Not going to work for your titchy little branches but it's an example of good practice.   

bgmnts

Lol people dying so cunts can buy shit flat pack crap.

imitationleather

I just asked my missus if the charity shops are reopening soon and she gave me a look that suggested she'd forgotten she manages one.

Thank god, I've eaten all mine.
Need more shelves for my corned beef and bog rolls.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 22, 2020, 04:31:02 PMI visited Wren Kitchens last week

Urgh, what did they serve you? Worms and berries?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 22, 2020, 04:33:37 PM
I really miss charity shops. I don't know how easy it would be for them to adhere to social distancing, especially as a lot of the shops are quite small. Maybe charities need to shift to a greater online retail presence but easier said than done.

They already sell records, books and electronics online, but I think the problem is that the stuff they generally sell is stuff people want to inspect.

BlodwynPig

Emma Raducanu

Why would you go to Ikea if you can't stop and have a plate of swedish meatballs?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 22, 2020, 04:48:17 PM
I know it's not a typical charity shop bit I do admire Re-Use in Milton Keynes:

http://www.reusemk.org/

They've stayed open using online ordering and deliveries and now they're letting customers back in with good controls. 

Not going to work for your titchy little branches but it's an example of good practice.   

true but unfortunately they have the same old stuff they've had for months (years in some cases) they have stuff "out the back" but can't get to it, apparently

Dex Sawash

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 22, 2020, 08:09:31 PM
Why would you go to Ikea if you can't stop and have a plate of swedish meatballs?

They've got vegan ones now too, taste similarly of offal. 7/10

Good news. I stocked up on furniture going into this crisis, but I am starting to run out now.

Cloud

Oh god

LOVE YOUR LOCKDOWN WITH A NEW SOFA

hopefully they'll close again on Sunday

PlanktonSideburns

Be lots of great stuff in them too, what with all the deaths

Captain Crunch

BHF and Barnados doing trial openings from 8th June.  Fingers crossed it works out for them. 

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 22, 2020, 08:45:13 PM
true but unfortunately they have the same old stuff they've had for months (years in some cases) they have stuff "out the back" but can't get to it, apparently

I did wonder about the size of that place, even if you could turn the stock once a week you'd still be looking at about 50 transit loads (at a guess?)  Maybe worth a visit once a month rather than once a week? 

Icehaven

I miss charity shops a lot too but all the ones near me are tiny, so even if there's only 3 or 4 other people in there you're falling over each other. Like with pubs too I think it's putting a lot on the staff to expect them to enforce limited numbers and social distancing, and given most charity shop staff are volunteers even more so. I'd imagine a lot of them are not unreasonably thinking of sacking it right off.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 22, 2020, 04:11:07 PM
No mention of a requirement for all customers to wear masks. Don't people tend to touch and sit on items quite a lot in furniture stores? Maybe there will be a no touching rule.

Lapdancing clubs already have a no touching rule, why can't they reopen?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 24, 2020, 04:19:58 PM
Lapdancing clubs already have a no touching rule, why can't they reopen?

Apparently they've been doing drive-throughs in some places in America.

Amazed there's appetite for them by people sober enough to drive.

imitationleather

Quote from: icehaven on May 24, 2020, 12:15:13 PM
I miss charity shops a lot too but all the ones near me are tiny, so even if there's only 3 or 4 other people in there you're falling over each other. Like with pubs too I think it's putting a lot on the staff to expect them to enforce limited numbers and social distancing, and given most charity shop staff are volunteers even more so. I'd imagine a lot of them are not unreasonably thinking of sacking it right off.

My missus says they're going to be installing a screen at the counter, having a one-way system and limiting how many people can enter etc. I don't really understand how it will work in a shop which is all about browsing. Her place is quite large as charity shops go, which is a plus for trying to implement all these measures. I don't know what they're going to do about the volunteers as so many of them are from vulnerable groups and shouldn't be working in a shop while the pandemic is still on-going.

Buelligan

I hope they upcycle Cummings into a Billy bookcase in a French holiday let.  There, I've said it.