Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Pick Early Mornings and Bleary Eyes"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 22, 2020, 04:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Yes, it's the Pick for Britain thread. The government and Waitrose are trying to get furloughed people to go and pick some food.

Here's the newspaper ad: https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1263445628400685056

DEFRA Youtube ad. I think the first person might be related to someone famous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RX_9qISj-c

I can't imagine you get to meet many people if you have to be 2m apart at all times whilst working.

QuoteWorkers can live on the farm or travel in daily depending on your particular circumstances and the farm's situation. The charge for the accommodation is set at a maximum £52.85 per week for 2020, making it good value compared to private sector.

I imagine a lot will end up living on the farm, given how poor public transport in rural areas is. I wonder how they will ensure farmers are treating the workers fairly. Can farm workers join a union?

Can't imagine it's much fun on a windy, wet, cold or too hot day. Never worked on a farm though so what do I know?

Wow, they really missed the point of "Choose life" didn't they?

Norton Canes

ollyboro

Since he's so keen on encouraging others to pick fruit, get Prince Charles to lead from the front. It could be his George the Second moment. The jug eared cunt.

The Crumb

Surely the only sort of people that advert will appeal to are far too old, bloated and lazy to go out and pick fruit. Just seems a perfect distillation of every patronising dickhead who's genuinely convinced they're a completely self made man.

Johnny Yesno

A brexiteer's wet dream, this, isn't it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Unoriginal sloganeering, but visually what stands out is just

PICK PICK PICK PICK PICK

Which in fairness describes the monotony rather well.

king_tubby

I've done farm work. It's shit. You're bussed in to the middle of nowhere so you can't fuck off, it's fucking hard work and then the ganger fucks off with your money, which is shit anyway. Also farmers are cunts.

Apart from that, great idea!

Butchers Blind

Quote from: ollyboro on May 22, 2020, 04:57:17 PM
Since he's so keen on encouraging others to pick fruit, get Prince Charles to lead from the front. It could be his George the Second moment. The jug eared cunt.

Not with his gouty hands and feet.

Sebastian Cobb

Would genuinely rather getting on the smack.

It takes a special kind of ineptitude to crash the text into that picture given all the empty space.

mrfridge

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 07:59:21 PM
Would genuinely rather getting on the smack.

It takes a special kind of ineptitude to crash the text into that picture given all the empty space.

Not wanting to stick up for this travesty but that overlapping of text and image is a pretty common design trope these days. It doesn't work at all when the photo is tiny though so it's certainly inept.

Dewt

Is this a response to losing an immigrant workforce?

paruses

What if you didn't want to pick fruit. What if you wanted to pick something else?

I was up for a job like this until I was told it was my duty. And suggesting it gets you a Hero badge has turned me off completely.

[Edit - I see Huxley made the same point re: the point but note that I also made the connection too]

Icehaven

Oh my fucking god. This is almost as annoying as those tv ads for adult social care; "We need you, they need you". Well unfortunately I need to pay my rent and eat so working in care isn't really an option as the pay is worse than dogshit, much like fruit picking, and similar attempts to make it feel as if you're doing it out of duty and being a 'hero' aren't going to mean shit to your landlord or feed your family, so sorry but fuck off. And they take over £50 a week out of whatever pittance you're paid for "accommodation" (floor/bunk/camp bed in a barn) too? Jesus wept, burn the farms to the ground now.

paruses

Oh yea - accommodation capped at £52.85 means accommodation costs £52.85 [nb]For a berth in a mould infested static caravan[/nb].

thenoise

Quote from: Dewt on May 23, 2020, 08:19:18 AM
Is this a response to losing an immigrant workforce?

Of course. And short of improving wages and conditions so that British people are willing to do the job, they're trying to shame us into doing it with the usual hackneyed blitz-spirit bullshit.

Be like Sir Colonel Tom and plod about in some bullshit field, for Britain Saint Boris and the NHS!

Buelligan

You'll be a hero, just like all the forrin untermensch they don't let in any more. 

I've picked fruit, many's a time, up before dawn, in the rain.  In the pitiless sun.  You just have to carry on.  No one cares if it's killing you.  No sick pay or holidays.  No job security.  No rights.  One year, I worked all morning, then cleaned holiday lets in my lunch time, then back again for the afternoon.  Breaks you.  Really breaks you physically and you should see what happens to your fucking account.

Buelligan

Quote from: paruses on May 23, 2020, 12:01:50 PM
Oh yea - accommodation capped at £52.85 means accommodation costs £52.85 [nb]For a berth in a mould infested static caravan[/nb].

If you want a shower or a glass of water, that's extra.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 23, 2020, 05:33:05 PM
What are the wages?

Out of interest, I asked a couple of local places that are looking for PICKERS FOR BRITAIN what they're paying. Ho-lee-shit they do not want to just give a pound figure. "Oh we'll discuss that" "It's competitive" and "Oh well that would depend" were typical sorts of answers. One farm actually hung up on me when I went "Okay but give me a rough estimate, in pounds and pence?"

Obviously they're hoping they can wait until suckers fruit heroes are actually committed, out in the field and 30 miles from civilisation, before they drop the "lol it works out at £4.30 an hour and btw the guy sitting chain-smoking on the pallet trailer will do his level best to fuck you over" bombshell.

PlanktonSideburns

This country does not deserve fresh fruit and vegetables

idunnosomename

Waitrose enslaving people under the guise of patriotism. You have to laugh

Captain Crunch

Isn't this all a bit of a front?  A friend of mine applied and got a letter back by return of post saying 'sorry we're only considering local applicants'.  He lives 15 miles away and there's a direct train.

Ray Travez

Quote from: paruses on May 23, 2020, 08:42:03 AM
What if you didn't want to pick fruit. What if you wanted to pick something else?

Heheh!

The raspberries were lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis tremblin

BlodwynPig

...and yet the revolution remains unthinkable

thenoise

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 24, 2020, 11:31:13 AM
Isn't this all a bit of a front?  A friend of mine applied and got a letter back by return of post saying 'sorry we're only considering local applicants'.  He lives 15 miles away and there's a direct train.

By local they mean living on the farm and paying rent to the farmer. If your friend lives offsite and travels in they'll have no choice but to pay him full minimum wage.

paruses

I wondered about the minimum wage thing. I had a quick look at the gov.uk site and the exception is if you are self employed. I suspect the fruit farms will only be employing heroic small business owners.

If you are fortunate enough to be so local you live in a static caravan or other makeshift dwelling on the farm then you can re-gift a large proportion of your earnings back to the farmer.

I can't believe they are still looking for applicants tbh.

Non Stop Dancer

I want to see everyone in this godforsaken shit pit of a country hanged, myself included please.

Kelvin

They can't really expect to get many people signing up to this. It's presumably just part of a longer process of turning the working against the non-working, so that more ruthless measures can be justified later on.

"These people didn't want to help the national effort at a time of crisis. They don't deserve your tax money, unless they do this work."