Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:45:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you been to a wedding where One Day Like This by Elbow was played

Started by PaulTMA, May 23, 2020, 01:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

Gradual Decline

Norton Canes

It'll always be the Screenwipe 'pissing in the open' song to me.

Jockice

I once went to one where the DJ played Love Will Tear Us Apart. The floor emptied in seconds.

alan nagsworth

Not only have I been at a wedding where "One Day Like This" by Elbow was played when the bride walked down the aisle, I have been to my father's wedding where "One Day Like This" by Elbow was played when his bride walked down the aisle.

Not only have I been to my father's wedding where "One Day Like This" by Elbow was played when his bride walked down the aisle, I was also involved in creating a multi-shot video performance of all the wedding guests miming along to the fucking words of "One Day Like This" by Elbow.

So we had to listen to various parts of the song numerous times whilst various guests came in and out of a specifically prepared room at the venue to record their bits. I was in two or three of these bits, and I was also in the song's climax where the chorus is sung on repeat and a huge ensemble of the guests stood together like a choir and mimed along for what felt like a fucking eternity.

Yeah, beat that.

Jockice

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 23, 2020, 12:22:27 PM
Not only have I been at a wedding where "One Day Like This" by Elbow was played when the bride walked down the aisle, I have been to my father's wedding where "One Day Like This" by Elbow was played when his bride walked down the aisle.

Not only have I been to my father's wedding where "One Day Like This" by Elbow was played when his bride walked down the aisle, I was also involved in creating a multi-shot video performance of all the wedding guests miming along to the fucking words of "One Day Like This" by Elbow.

So we had to listen to various parts of the song numerous times whilst various guests came in and out of a specifically prepared room at the venue to record their bits. I was in two or three of these bits, and I was also in the song's climax where the chorus is sung on repeat and a huge ensemble of the guests stood together like a choir and mimed along for what felt like a fucking eternity.

Yeah, beat that.

I cant. The only way you could possibly beat that is for it to be your father's wedding to your mother before you'd even been born and you still had to sing a bit of it.

alan nagsworth

Sadly not. I was born out of wedlock so I was destined to go to hell before I agreed to commit myself to this atrocity.

Jockice

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 23, 2020, 01:42:40 PM
Sadly not. I was born out of wedlock so I was destined to go to hell before I agreed to commit myself to this atrocity.

It'll certainly help you on your way there though.

Dr Syntax Head

PaulTMA

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 23, 2020, 12:22:27 PM

Yeah, beat that.

Please tell me this is online

Bazooka

It's probably a song that is being heavily used over slow motion montages of people clapping for nhs, Tom Moore etc, we're in this together type stuff.

Brundle-Fly

No, but I have heard Santa Dog by The Residents during the reception at my ex-partner's wedding. Mind you, I was the DJ that day.

buttgammon

Yes. The marriage is now hanging on by a thread, apparently.

Custard

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 23, 2020, 05:36:40 PM
Please tell me this is online

+1. Please. Can we get a crowdfunder started to get Nags to share this?

I've been to a wedding that Guy Garvey also attended but the boring lummox didn't sing, thank fuck.

Brundle-Fly

We HAVE to see this Nags wedding video. It could start the new Little & Large thread.

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 24, 2020, 12:50:36 PM

I've been to a wedding that Guy Garvey also attended but the boring lummox didn't sing, thank fuck.

I've been in the same room as Garvey. He has an absolutely enormous head. Like an ox.

The walk down the isle at my wedding was to Napalm Death's "You Suffer" played on repeat. 20 plays until everyone was in place.

Our dance was to "Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's Cunt" by Cannibal Corpse. Always was a sucker for the slow romantic numbers.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 24, 2020, 01:57:26 PM
We HAVE to see this Nags wedding video. It could start the new Little & Large thread.

It's possibly the best thing on this forum ever.  I must MUST !MUST! see it before I die. Not that I'm planning to. Until I've seen it anyway.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on May 24, 2020, 02:20:35 PM
It's possibly the best thing on this forum ever.  I must MUST !MUST! see it before I die. Not that I'm planning to. Until I've seen it anyway.

I hope Sarah Silverman makes an appearance singing a line in the wrong key. 

Captain Crunch

I've never heard of this song so I just looked it up.  I wish I hadn't.  One Day Ruined Like This more like, horrible.   

How do people get away with it?  Isn't there a set of regulations limiting your choice to ' I Honestly Love You' 'How Do I Live' and 'Angels'?   Can you really just have any old shit? 

alan nagsworth

That video does exist but you'd have to get a pretty hefty sum of cash transferred directly to my bank if you want to see it.

non capisco

PaulTMA

Icehaven

Surely it's a bit inappropriate for a wedding, given the chorus is "One day like this a year would see me right." You want to have a wedding day every year? Fucking exhausting.

I've just looked up the rest of the lyrics too and they make absolutely no sense, although it does sound like the incoherent ramblings of someone with a massive hangover who's just woken up next to a stranger, which isn't very romantic but probably is how a lot of marriages start so fair enough.

Brundle-Fly