Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:31:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mazza is Thirty Fazza! Hazza Bazza, Mazza!

Started by Kelvin, May 23, 2020, 02:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on May 28, 2020, 03:36:37 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but in my experience when I found some moons in the post-game I didn't want to do, so I just ignored them and found something else. You need, what, 500 to get the final final world? You can even just buy them with your coins if you want to. There's no reason to get 999 moons or whatever, you can make your own pace and find your own path to the end. I think it's brilliantly graceful and manages to avoid "checklist" style gameplay despite having a literal checklist!

I suppose so, they certainly give you lots of options. But why include the repetitive content, at all? In BotW, the korok seeds are used in a similar way, but more successfully; you only need half the total number to obtain the final upgrade. It's not designed for you to find every single one, they're just used to fill out the space - they actively discourage you from getting them all.

But the moons in Odyssey are made out to be more important than korok seeds, they're essentially the main focus of the game, so it's odd to have to work around them because you know they're probably going to be boring. Like giving someone a cake full of raisins, then expecting them to eat around them, because most people don't like raisins in a cake. So why make a cake filled with raisins, madhair? Why not just make a slightly smaller, but more enjoyable cake without them?

For me, it's hard to know which of those post-credit moons are pointless and which ones are worth going for until you try to find them. There's been so much brilliance up to that point that you worry you're potentially missing out if you ignore them. It's not a feeling you get with Mario 64 or the Galaxies. Everything feels worth doing in those games, even when it's not.

I don't think I've ever 100%ed any of them, but putting 64 and the Galaxies down and stopping always felt like my choice. A feeling that I'd had my fill and could move on. Whereas when I stopped playing Odyssey it was out of boredom and frustration. That I'd been forced to stop. And that's a shame because (unlike Sunshine, which was boring and frustrating all the way through) what came before the credits was so utterly, utterly brilliant. You want there to be more of that quality even though it might be unreasonable to expect it. You don't want your experience to end on a low note.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on May 28, 2020, 04:32:33 PM
I suppose so, they certainly give you lots of options. But why include the repetitive content, at all? In BotW, the korok seeds are used in a similar way, but more successfully; you only need half the total number to obtain the final upgrade. It's not designed for you to find every single one, they're just used to fill out the space - they actively discourage you from getting them all.

But the moons in Odyssey are made out to be more important than korok seeds, they're essentially the main focus of the game, so it's odd to have to work around them because you know they're probably going to be boring. Like giving someone a cake full of raisins, then expecting them to eat around them, because most people don't like raisins in a cake. So why make a cake filled with raisins, madhair? Why not just make a slightly smaller, but more enjoyable cake without them?

I'm not sure which is the repetitive content, to be honest, but with stuff like the Koopa races... I found those too hard, so I just didn't do them. Other people would relish that sort of challenge, so it's there for them if they want.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Whatever else can be said about Mario 2, it's got ace music. I whistle the first level tune all the time.

popcorn

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 28, 2020, 04:57:15 PM
Whatever else can be said about Mario 2, it's got ace music. I whistle the first level tune all the time.

One of several game tunes my sister and invented lyrics for. That one we called Bon Appetit because you can sing "bon appetit" to the B theme melody: https://youtu.be/j9s4fuOL3FM?t=12

33 we were, etc

Kelvin

Quote from: popcorn on May 28, 2020, 05:14:36 PM
That one we called Bon Appetit because you can sing "bon appetit" to the B theme melody: https://youtu.be/j9s4fuOL3FM?t=12

Were you quite posh, by any chance :)

Got a good remix in Smash Ultimate, of course:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq10atGowVo

magval

popcorn

Quote from: Kelvin on May 28, 2020, 05:19:18 PM
Were you quite posh, by any chance :)

Well what was your lyric then , "ham egg and chips"????

popcorn

Mario theme park under construction.

Hope it's linear.

Kelvin

Quote from: popcorn on May 28, 2020, 07:00:36 PM
Well what was your lyric then , "ham egg and chips"????

"Cup. And. Ball.
Cup-and-ball,
Cup and ball is all we have."