Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The League of Gentlemen Film

Started by It Was Cancer, February 26, 2004, 09:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It Was Cancer

Is anyone else dreading it? I absolutely love the League of Gentlemen but I can imagine the film being more like series 3 than series 1, and I'd rather not publically shit my pants.

Because of all their leaning towards horror films, I'm worried it'll be all darkness with no comedy.

Still, excited. Does anyone know when it's supposed to be coming out? I'm not even sure if it's in production yet, but I know they've been writing.

They've been popping up everywhere recently! I don't have digital so I have no idea what this Catterick thing is like.  I get the trailers and that's all. It's torture for poor arses like me who can't afford shiny digital tv.

Do TV to film transistions really work though? Most successful example I can really think of is Python.  And there was Bedazzled as well, I s'pose.  John Cleese was talking once about making a Fawlty Towers film- that would have been...interesting!

Uncle_Z

Seen it, but it made no sense.  It had Sean Connery and some vampire bint in it.  Sik in LOL NO hed man.

Darrell

Mark Gatiss recently said in an interview that the League of Gentlemen had reached their "acme of darkness" with the third television series, and were going more for all-out silliness in the film.

Good omen, that.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I agree.

The series started as a dark comedy in the first place, and gradually from the second series to the third, its just become darker, with less and less comedy. I hope the film actually has a decent script for starters. There's a lot you can do with the extra time available- just don't screw it up guys.

Rats

The episode with the massage parlor was the only real good one wasn't it? Some of the others were ok though.

Darrell

The second and third episodes (Lance's new arm and Geoff in London) are wonderful half-hours, and outweigh lots of the misjudged rubbish that surrounds. They're the 'lightest', silliest, most gag-packed bits of LoG you can get, and they genuinely stand out as cracking bits of comedy.

My only real problem with the League of Gentlemen is Steve Pemberton. He's a terrible, psuedo-theatrical actor with little comedic talent, and judging by the writing sessions footage on the DVD he doesn't appear to understand the mechanics of comedy in the slightest.

Gatiss and Dyson are the real talents in the group. They know how to do it, how to get the balance spot on, how to tell a good story while cramming it with silly little jokes.

(I've been thinking about all this recently, as you can tell...)

Rats

I think the fat one's good, me. He's a really good comic actor if nothing more, I don't know what he has for his dinner.

Jemble Fred

No LoG is funnier than Dean Tavaloris (or whatever the fuck his surname is) as far as I'm concerned. In fact, 3 is definitely my favourite series. Could be mainly down to the fucking SUPERB new music, but then I'm sure I'm not that shallow.

I've never been a huge LoG fan, (although Papa Lazarou's first appearance was definite 'event' TV) but I very much hope that at least one more series emerges. Dyson has misunderstood the freedom that the team has given themselves if he thinks that Royston Vasey has no more scope for entertainment.

It's a bit fan fiction, but I can't help thinking my idea for series 4 is rather good. Basically, a cross between Blackadder, Ghostwatch and Amityville. I'd very much like to see Royston Vasey at different periods in time, with some of the character's ancestors popping up. The whole series could be a detective story, trying to find the origin of the evil in Royston Vasey, through the sixties, WWII, through to Iron Age etc...  

Fuck it - just a thought.

It Was Cancer

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"In fact, 3 is definitely my favourite series. Could be mainly down to the fucking SUPERB new music, but then I'm sure I'm not that shallow.

Whaaaaa? No way! The new music was awful! Joby Talbot is wonderful, yes, but that whole funnnkkaay side made me scream in horror and loss.

QuoteIt's a bit fan fiction, but I can't help thinking my idea for series 4 is rather good. Basically, a cross between Blackadder, Ghostwatch and Amityville. I'd very much like to see Royston Vasey at different periods in time, with some of the character's ancestors popping up. The whole series could be a detective story, trying to find the origin of the evil in Royston Vasey, through the sixties, WWII, through to Iron Age etc...  

Fuck it - just a thought.

Replace Amityville with Quartermass and I may agree with you.