Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:28:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roger Waters "Announcement"

Started by BJBMK2, May 23, 2020, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJBMK2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_x3penXBFU

Not really announcing much of anything Pink Floyd fans don't already know. Essentially, Roger Waters bemoaning the fact that David Gilmour won't allow Waters projects on the Pink Floyd site. An interesting way to start one's Youtube Vlog career.

Not sure how I feel about the above video to be honest. While I generally do lean towards the Roger side of things when it comes to Floyd, never cared for anything post-Momentary lapse Of Reason, and he makes some sincere points, it still comes off as a bit too bitter and cynical to be called an attempt at bridge building, which is supposedly what it is. There's little flashes of the old Roger here and there (if he ever "changed" of course).

But then, he does seem genuinely a bit knocked back by it all, and I find myself thinking, yeah, I agree, there should be a bit of Roger stuff on the main site. Oh well, who knows, the whole thing is very sad and depressing. 

massive bereavement

I have a lot of sympathy for him, it's not right. 
You could make a comparison with Paul McCartney in that he attempted to take control of the band, then effectively left and was ostracised by the other three for a while. The difference is they made up, but it wouldn't have been right for Paul to be ignored on the official website and treated as an insignificant former member. It's almost like Ringo, who replaced an original member, now saying he is The Beatles and should have full control of the legacy.

I always appreciate Roger speaking out on issues that nobody else in his field apparently wants to go anywhere near.

popcorn

Fucking weird video. The way it starts makes it seem like he's going to announce he has terminal cancer.

Seemingly someone begins hoovering his knees halfway through the video.

BJBMK2

Watching it again, the first few seconds are truly bizarre.  The tacky Adobe Premiere-esque stock intro with the love hearts. The fact it has little nothing to do with the content of the video. The complete misplacement of the In The Flesh intro.

Should have just used a loop of the ticking clocks from Time, that would have been more appropriate.

Natnar

Waters hasn't been a member of Pink Floyd for 35 years so i can see why the Pink Floyd site shouldn't cover Water's stuff. Would people expect Genesis's website to cover Peter Gabriel's career as well?

This is like that neighbors from hell TV show where two 75 year old men fall out over a borrowed lawnmower.

Next thing you know, Rogers fence has moved a foot closer to his garden and Dave is having barbecues everytime the washing is out.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He looks absolutely knackered. Eyes like piss holes in the snow. Lovely head of hair, though.

Pauline Walnuts

Nice to see him holding out an olive branch, complete with typically petty insults to Davie 'Dave' Gilmours wife's videos on the channel/webpage whatever it is.

Never change Rog, never change.

popcorn

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on May 24, 2020, 09:00:01 AM
Nice to see him holding out an olive branch, complete with typically petty insults to Davie 'Dave' Gilmours wife's videos on the channel/webpage whatever it is.

It's funny - they're both irritating in different directions.

On the one hand, mocking Gilmour's lockdown videos is obviously cunty and unnecessary. On the other hand he has a point:

JesusAndYourBush

The Gilmour/Waters relationship is definitely a strange one.
Since about 1986 Waters has been portrayed as the awkward bastard, with Gilmour seemingly being willing to work with Waters again but Waters not wanting anything to do with him (even referenced in one of Gilmours lyrics).  Then we had the Live8 thing in 2005 and out of the blue Waters suddenly decides he'd be willing to work with Gilmour on more Floyd things.  But then it's Gilmours turn to be the Awkward Bastard and now he doesn't want anything to do with Waters.  Pair of fannies.

popcorn

TBH I'm generally on team Gilmour as Waters 1) generally talks like an egotistical maniac in interviews 2) poisoned the well by suing Pink Floyd in the first place.

BJBMK2

Quote from: popcorn on May 24, 2020, 04:21:23 PM
TBH I'm generally on team Gilmour as Waters 1) generally talks like an egotistical maniac in interviews 2) poisoned the well by suing Pink Floyd in the first place.

While I personally tend to prefer Water's stuff to Gilmour's, I agree with both points. Waters has this weird habit in interviews of quoting his own lyrics in a very portentous fashion, like he's quoting fucking Wordsworth. Even though I don't even think their bad lyrics, but it's just...have some modesty, mate.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BJBMK2 on May 24, 2020, 04:51:20 PM
While I personally tend to prefer Water's stuff to Gilmour's, I agree with both points. Waters has this weird habit in interviews of quoting his own lyrics in a very portentous fashion, like he's quoting fucking Wordsworth. Even though I don't even think their bad lyrics, but it's just...have some modesty, mate.
He's been worshipped by thousands / millions of people for over half his life. I imagine modesty is quite a rare trait in people like him.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Got a little distracted by the automatically generated subtitles "Syd may rape Nick and David over a number of years" but I do sort of see where waters is coming from.

If post waters Pink Floyd were still an active band I'd get it (same thing about genesis posting Peter Gabriel stuff) but the website and their social media etc is mostly there to repost things from Gilmour and Mason's websites and to really push that  bloody Later Years box. And I know Polly Samson wrote lyrics for the band but is her latest novel really crucial news on the site while waters' activities are kept off?

Absolute no arguing with the fact waters is a colossal bell end but it does come off as pretty petty from the pair of them.

purlieu

Quote from: Natnar on May 23, 2020, 11:18:28 PM
Waters hasn't been a member of Pink Floyd for 35 years so i can see why the Pink Floyd site shouldn't cover Water's stuff. Would people expect Genesis's website to cover Peter Gabriel's career as well?
To be fair, Floyd have released three albums since Waters left, and Genesis have released nine since Gabriel left; Waters was on twelve Floyd albums while Gabriel was on six Genesis albums (not to mention Gabriel going on to have a more commercially successful career than Genesis); Gabriel left Genesis ten years before Waters left Floyd; so it's not the fairest comparison. Roger was a major contributor to the direction of the band's most successful era, offering all of the lyrics and a significant amount of the music to the run from Dark Side to The Wall.

Natnar

Quote from: purlieu on May 24, 2020, 09:08:40 PM
To be fair, Floyd have released three albums since Waters left, and Genesis have released nine since Gabriel left; Waters was on twelve Floyd albums while Gabriel was on six Genesis albums (not to mention Gabriel going on to have a more commercially successful career than Genesis); Gabriel left Genesis ten years before Waters left Floyd; so it's not the fairest comparison. Roger was a major contributor to the direction of the band's most successful era, offering all of the lyrics and a significant amount of the music to the run from Dark Side to The Wall.

Personally i think Waters gave up any right to be promoted by the Pink Floyd site when he left the group. Although i'd be interested to find out if the Pink Floyd site has promoted any Syd Barrett or Richard Wright solo project in the past.

popcorn

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 24, 2020, 06:19:16 PM
He's been worshipped by thousands / millions of people for over half his life. I imagine modesty is quite a rare trait in people like him.

Even by that sort of standard, though, the way he comes across in interviews is astonishing.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 24, 2020, 06:19:16 PM

There's a bit on his live 'The Wall' video where he pulls out a trumpet in the middle of a first world War cemetery and starts playing one of his own tunes, that was one of the most cynical, opportunistic things I've ever seen. Just utterly evil.

I hope he never changes.

purlieu

Quote from: Natnar on May 24, 2020, 10:23:14 PM
Personally i think Waters gave up any right to be promoted by the Pink Floyd site when he left the group. Although i'd be interested to find out if the Pink Floyd site has promoted any Syd Barrett or Richard Wright solo project in the past.
Gilmour has said that The Endless River will be the last Floyd album, so he and Nick Mason have now left Pink Floyd too.

Given that the official site has advertised Gilmour's wife's book, it wouldn't be unfair to expect at least some news about Roger. The last mention of him in the news section was 2017, when they reported on an album of release. Since then it's almost been a David Gilmour News page.

Natnar

Has Waters ever promoted any of the Floyd albums without him on his website?

wosl

The way to test out Roger's apparent good will and willingness to reciprocate would be for the Family Gilmour to do a cover of a Waters solo song and ask for it to be put up on Waters' website.

Natnar

I suspect that had Gilmour asked Waters to promote that Later Years boxset on his website then Waters would have told him to fuck off.

Retinend

Can I be that person and ask what the feud is essentially about? TIA

popcorn

Quote from: Retinend on May 25, 2020, 06:35:30 PM
Can I be that person and ask what the feud is essentially about? TIA

During the height of Pink Floyd's success, Roger Waters and David Gilmour were the two main songwriters. They came to annoy the piss out each other, Waters kind of took over the band, then quit in the 80s and tried to sue the band to stop them from carrying on using the name without him. He lost and there's been bad blood ever since.

This most recent spat is because Waters wants the Pink Floyd site to promote his solo stuff and apparently Gilmour isn't letting him. It really is that boring.

Quote from: Natnar on May 25, 2020, 02:52:26 PM
Has Waters ever promoted any of the Floyd albums without him on his website?

He said he didn't want anything from Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell to appear on Echoes: The best of Pink Floyd. But obviously had no power to veto.

Roger made no secret of the fact he thinks all of the trio's output after he left is rubbish. He described Momentary Lapse as "factory farming" because of the number of outside contributors.

Natnar

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 25, 2020, 10:25:23 PM
He said he didn't want anything from Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell to appear on Echoes: The best of Pink Floyd. But obviously had no power to veto.

Roger made no secret of the fact he thinks all of the trio's output after he left is rubbish. He described Momentary Lapse as "factory farming" because of the number of outside contributors.

I think Waters must have had some say over what was on Echoes, i don't think Gilmour would have been the one who wanted The Fletcher Memorial Home on there. I can see why Gilmour would be reluctant to let someone who has very publicly slagged off everything he's done over the past 30 years anywhere near his website.

popcorn

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 25, 2020, 10:25:23 PM
He described Momentary Lapse as "factory farming" because of the number of outside contributors.

I'd like to read that but google gives me nothing, do you have a source?

Retinend

Quote from: popcorn on May 25, 2020, 08:52:04 PM
During the height of Pink Floyd's success, Roger Waters and David Gilmour were the two main songwriters. They came to annoy the piss out each other, Waters kind of took over the band, then quit in the 80s and tried to sue the band to stop them from carrying on using the name without him. He lost and there's been bad blood ever since.

I should have specified - I know that much already. Is there anything more known about what sparked the original split?

popcorn

Quote from: Retinend on May 26, 2020, 02:14:41 PM
I should have specified - I know that much already. Is there anything more known about what sparked the original split?

Sorry I'm a bit confused now. You want a summary but you already know the summary?

If you want all the gory details from the time, Rolling Stone did a big piece on it back in 1987: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pink-floyd-the-inside-story-104505/

Retinend