Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,462
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roger Waters "Announcement"

Started by BJBMK2, May 23, 2020, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

massive bereavement

I'm eternally grateful to Gilmour for helping Syd produce his two solo albums, which are much more important to me than any Floyd album except the first one, but now that Floyd are no longer a going concern Waters should not be shut out. I'm guessing Roger's concern extends well beyond the website, it's his place in all things Floyd after he has passed on that he'll be worried about. The video blog won't have helped however.

I initially thought the ridiculous graphic sting at the start was a piss take, a kind of "Don't take what you are about to watch too seriously". Most likely he's trusted the wrong person to come up with something for him. Surely he didn't put that together himself.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: massive bereavement on May 26, 2020, 05:08:21 PM
I initially thought the ridiculous graphic sting at the start was a piss take, a kind of "Don't take what you are about to watch too seriously". Most likely he's trusted the wrong person to come up with something for him. Surely he didn't put that together himself.

Still a damn sight more visually engaging than most of Storm Thorgerson's wacky fucking cerebral torments though!

I absolutely love pompous twatty rock dinosaurs getting in a mild-mannered tizzy about their legacy and whatnot. Gene Simmons filing a lawsuit to claim ownership of the devil horns hand gesture, Ringo Starr "warning us with peace and love" to stop sending him fan mail because he has "too much to do", it's fucking golden. Can't get enough of it.

Natnar

I wonder if Waters is worried about what happens to the Pink Floyd "brand" when Gilmour eventually snuffs it? I can't imagine him being happy if Gilmour's wife or one of his kids takes over it. Waters doesn't have any kids does he?

massive bereavement

Quote from: Natnar on May 27, 2020, 10:19:50 AM
I wonder if Waters is worried about what happens to the Pink Floyd "brand" when Gilmour eventually snuffs it? I can't imagine him being happy if Gilmour's wife or one of his kids takes over it. Waters doesn't have any kids does he?

Three (two sons and a daughter).
Definitely much more to this than the website.

famethrowa

Seems that Waters said he was leaving the band after The Final Cut, and was completely convinced the band would never carry.on without him.  I say well done to the chaps for proving him wrong, especially in the era of the enormo-tour, playing smoothed out Floyd to millions while Roger put out album after album of his whining and whispering and screaming.

Natnar

I think Waters in some way regretted leaving Pink Floyd when he realised than none of his solo albums would ever sell as many copies as a new Pink Floyd album, even if it was the Gilmour led Floyd. I bet that had Waters won the "I'm Pink Floyd" case in the 80's he would have released any new albums he had under the Pink Floyd name.

Roger was the leader of Pink Floyd between 1968-1985. After Syd Left.

Between 1977-1985 it was almost like a one man band, Animals, The Wall, The Final cut, bit like Nine Inch Nails he was the Trent Reznor the rest were session musicians. 
Everyone knew it.

popcorn

But just think how shit Comfortably Numb would be without the solos

famethrowa

Quote from: popcorn on May 28, 2020, 12:24:47 AM
But just think how shit Comfortably Numb would be without the solos

True, a few Floyd songs have hit that perfect spot with the classic formula: wordy verse, beautifully melodic chorus, and soaring solo. Take out Gilmour and you lose at least half of that.

popcorn

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Silly Little Tart on May 28, 2020, 12:23:51 AMBetween 1977-1985 it was almost like a one man band, Animals, The Wall, The Final cut, bit like Nine Inch Nails he was the Trent Reznor the rest were session musicians. 
Everyone knew it.

Rick Wright was even fired during the making of The Wall, although he was retained (on a wage) for the live performances.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Silly Little Tart on May 28, 2020, 12:23:51 AM
Roger was the leader of Pink Floyd between 1968-1985. After Syd Left.

No he wasn't. On Meddle the only song written by Waters alone was "San Tropez", the only Waters track on Obscured By Clouds was "Free Four", although to be fair only one of those mentions Roger Waters dad.

Up to Dark Side of the Moon there was no 'leader' of Pink Floyd. No saying he wasn't by The Wall and The Final Cut, an album "by Roger Waters preformed by Pink Floyd."

famethrowa

Is it time to drag out my theory that everyone got to be leader of Floyd for some period?

- The Syd year(s)
- Rick Wright pushed to the front to replace Syd's vocals (didn't last long)
- Nick Mason and his avant-garde leanings on the drums around Ummagumma-Saucerful etc
- Roger taking over for the big years
- Dave putting on a suit and being captain for the late 80s
- and now Nick again as the keeper of the old flame (with Gary Kemp)

ProvanFan

A website for a band... alright grandad

H-O-W-L

Might I note that the Later Years box is THREE HUNDRED FUCKING QUID? And that's RRP! God fucking knows how much it'll cost once it sells out and the bastard scalpers get their fucking hands on it!!!

I'm Team Roger personally if only because Gilmour has shown himself to be just as much of an obsequious cunt as Waters was in the eighties lately. He really has gone full fucking hammer-down wankeroid about not including Roger in anything, and has been directly behind the recent rehashing of the Floyd's most absolutely worthless bollocks for extra cash (see the Later Years box which is almost entirely Gilmour's doing, nobody else really gave a shit, and it doesn't actually include the whole 'later years' which would realistically be anything post-DSOTM since that's the point where the entire band agrees (ACCORDING TO INSIDE OUT) the band basically turned into a 'what the fuck can we do now?' affair since mainstream success had been achieved) like the cynical prick he is.

Waters, on the other hand, is making actual new albums and is more than willing to open the archive on older shit, both his and the Floyd, but Dave is again being an obsequious little fuckpipe because neither he nor Polly wrote those bits, so he won't dare release them because that might remind people that The Endless River and Momentary Lapse are actually the audial equivalent of an ostentatiously-decorated antique tea-pot overflowing with liquid shit.

Division Bell's pretty alright though. Gilmour's a good songwriter but a fucking terrible lyricist, and his wife is just as fucking awful. Real ponderous dadrock shite -- the kind of shit people say Pink Floyd is when they haven't actually heard any Pink Floyd at all. Some of AMLOR borders on being a fucking parody, and Louder Than Words (the final track of Endless River) is honestly such a fucking joke.

popcorn

we bitch and we fight
diss each other on sight

H-O-W-L

Quote from: famethrowa on May 27, 2020, 12:07:48 PM
Seems that Waters said he was leaving the band after The Final Cut, and was completely convinced the band would never carry.on without him.  I say well done to the chaps for proving him wrong, especially in the era of the enormo-tour, playing smoothed out Floyd to millions while Roger put out album after album of his whining and whispering and screaming.

He really was justified in assuming the band would dissolve; nobody in the band was writing anything at that point but him. Gilmour straight up refused to write anything but the solos (and even then he only produced a handful for Final Cut), Wright had fucked off to the Carribbean because he'd been sacked, Mason was totally demoralized and done with the whole affair anyway and just waiting for the breakup (he says so himself in his autobiography) and the label really wasn't expecting fuck-all else at that point. After DSOTM (and especially after WYWH) they really felt they had tapped the creative well. It was only because of The Wall -- and how huge The Wall became, both as a project and success-wise -- that they remained a unit. The Final Cut was pure inertia from The Wall and nothing else. If they had waited a bit and not made it in the immediate aftershock of the movie's production, they would never have made it at all.

It was really just his own ego and outright SAYING that the Floyd had disbanded after he left that resulted in Gilmour standing up and saying "OI! WATERS! NO!". Elsewise they might have just gone on to their own solo careers and had a jolly good time of it.

H-O-W-L

I will fucking stand my ground on the fact that each of Waters' albums up to Amused to Death (hate it) is individually better than either of the Gilmour Floyd albums.

Pros and Cons is probably honestly not far off Peak Floyd in terms of quality. I wouldn't call it a Dark Side tier achievement but I sure do fucking love that album. The more blues-like edge of it (along with the dreamy narrative) make it so fucking rich. I also love KAOS without irony because of its nuclear-paranoia plotline, even if the final product is a neutered coke dream rather than the original idea Waters wanted to produce.  When the Wind Blows also has some cracking ambient tracks on it.

Meanwhile I've just never really been able to engage with Gilmour's solo works. I'd much rather an album of middling but narratively/thematically coherent tracks than a bunch of well-made but ponderous noodling bollocks.

popcorn

I think Waters and Gilmours' bad stuff is as bad as each other, in opposite directions. Waters' shit is gurning, tuneless, pompous, tasteless. Gilmours' stuff is banal, trivial, meandering, over-tasteful.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 06, 2020, 11:13:55 PM
I will fucking stand my ground on the fact that each of Waters' albums up to Amused to Death (hate it) is individually better than either of the Gilmour Floyd albums.

This is excluding Division Bell then? You said that one's all right (I agree) but the wording here confuses me.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: popcorn on June 06, 2020, 11:53:40 PM
I think Waters and Gilmours' bad stuff is as bad as each other, in opposite directions. Waters' shit is gurning, tuneless, pompous, tasteless. Gilmours' stuff is banal, trivial, meandering, over-tasteful.

This is excluding Division Bell then? You said that one's all right (I agree) but the wording here confuses me.

Division Bell is alright but I would gladly take any of Waters' solo albums over it. Pros and Cons would pilefuck it in a fistfight. KAOS might take more of a beating but I feel the catchiness of it would win it the day.

popcorn

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 07, 2020, 12:37:52 AM
Division Bell is alright but I would gladly take any of Waters' solo albums over it.

OK, your use of "either" there boggled my noggin because there are three of them.

I haven't found a single thing Waters has done since The Wall listenable, and even then I would gladly delete two thirds of that album. I ought to be able to go into more detail than that but I can't remember any of the albums.

... actually having said that I quite liked that single from his recent solo album, even if it was a strange Pink Floyd retrofest.

olliebean

Much like post-Genesis Hackett and post-Marillion Fish, post-Floyd Waters feels like more of a continuation to me than post-Waters Floyd. There's even a snatch of Pros and Cons in the film of The Wall.

Quote from: popcorn on June 07, 2020, 12:40:38 AM
OK, your use of "either" there boggled my noggin because there are three of them.

Four. Five if you count Ça Ira.

BlodwynPig

Pros and Cons is probably honestly not far off Peak Floyd in terms of quality. I wouldn't call it a Dark Side tier achievement but I sure do fucking love that album. The more blues-like edge of it (along with the dreamy narrative) make it so fucking rich. I also love KAOS without irony because of its nuclear-paranoia plotline, even if the final product is a neutered coke dream rather than the original idea Waters wanted to produce.  When the Wind Blows also has some cracking ambient tracks on it.

Meanwhile I've just never really been able to engage with Gilmour's solo works. I'd much rather an album of middling but narratively/thematically coherent tracks than a bunch of well-made but ponderous noodling bollocks.

I like every song by both of them, band or solo. The only album I've listened to once is Pros and Cons, which I found dull as dishwater, but I was 14 at the time. I will revisit it today. Gilmour's solo albums are amazing MOR.

H-O-W-L

OK, your use of "either" there boggled my noggin because there are three of them

I apologize if what I was saying was incoherent, tbh. I won't lie, I got a bit more pissed up than expected last night and I sort of went on a tangent.

Shit Good Nose

I'm no fan of Waters' solo stuff (and I include Final Cut and most of The Wall in that, as they are effectively Waters solo albums) and would honestly take both Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell over Waters' stuff any day of the week.   However, some of you may remember I saw the Division Bell tour whilst on holiday in Modena and it ranks amongst the most disappointing (if not worst) gigs I've ever been to - very flat and workmanlike, to the point where I may as well have stayed at home and listened to the albums (fortunately it only cost the equivalent of £15).  I also saw Waters' Music of Pink Floyd (and More) tour, which was much more expensive and actually featured mostly Waters' solo stuff so, for me, was shit for a different reason.  But this is all subjective opinion.

Otherwise I agree that they are both as bad as each other, although Gilmour surely scores a few humanitarian points for saving Richard Wright from Waters' continued attempts to ruin his career?

These days both Waters and Gilmour come across as spoilt little brats arguing over something completely futile (it honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit if the root of all this is still that fucking inflatable pig, given that Waters has been by far the most successful Floyd member since the late 90s), whilst Nick Mason keeps schtum and carries on tending to his garden and racing cars, and Gary Wallis bounces around on trampolines all day hitting tympanies Gorilla-taped to the ceiling.

popcorn

Quote from: olliebean on June 07, 2020, 08:08:55 AM
Four. Five if you count Ça Ira.

nooooooo he was counting Gilmour Floyd albums not Waters albums

each of Waters' albums up to Amused to Death (hate it) is individually better than either of the Gilmour Floyd albums.

why does no one make sense in this topsy turvy thread!!!

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 11:09:19 AMwhilst Nick Mason keeps schtum and carries on tending to his garden and racing cars
... and touring Floyd songs to more acclaim than Waters and Gilmour have enjoyed for a while. DVD and CD out later this year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aKpk_bqJ9A

BlodwynPig

Did you know Gilmour's track "Out of the Blue" was written about flouncing from this very forum.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 07, 2020, 01:08:54 PM
Did you know Gilmour's track "Out of the Blue" was written about flouncing from this very forum.

Yes, it was! About this cunt of a poster specifically!

BlodwynPig