Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:02:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Waitrose essentials: Kalamata olives

Started by Fr.Bigley, May 24, 2020, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Aside from these real olives, what other non essential essentials would Waitrose sell to the well heeled?

pancreas

Isn't this something you can look up?

For me it's potted shrimps, but I don't think they do an own brand version.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What food items are essential?

I was thinking that Greeks for example might consider olives essential.

Fr.Bigley

I'm talking about Waitrose essential veal cutlets etc.

Paul Calf

Northern Italians would probably consider veal cutlets a basic and essential food item.

I mean, what do you think they should be selling as essentials? Flour and overcooked sprouts?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 24, 2020, 03:44:36 PM
Northern Italians would probably consider veal cutlets a basic and essential food item.

I mean, what do you think they should be selling as essentials? Flour and overcooked sprouts?

Pre cooked sprouts. Great idea

Buelligan

I thought the only people using flour in Britain any more were those dreary buntinged middle class cupcake cunts.  You learn something every day.

Dewt

Quote from: pancreas on May 24, 2020, 03:24:45 PM

For me it's potted shrimps, but I don't think they do an own brand version.
God I miss potted shrimps

Twit 2

Just had flashbacks of getting too stoned and showing the zoom meeting the inside of my fridge last night, full of embarrassing "Waitrose essential duck tears" shit. I'm so sorry.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on May 24, 2020, 03:53:08 PM
I thought the only people using flour in Britain any more were those dreary buntinged middle class cupcake cunts.  You learn something every day.

Someone's buying it. Flour and yeast are really hard to get hold of these days.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 24, 2020, 04:02:09 PM
Just had flashbacks of getting too stoned and showing the zoom meeting the inside of my fridge last night, full of embarrassing "Waitrose essential duck tears" shit. I'm so sorry.

I was very proud that my fridge was so uneventful that despite a rabid baying audience the harshest remark was 'lower middle class aspirational bollocks'.

'Slovenly spice rack there mate' was the takehome remark I remember about your go.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

It's weird Waitrose has this reputation of being 'top tier'. I buy loads of bits and pieces in there which would cost the same, if not more, in Sainsbury's. The meat /cheese-fondling counters are probably quite spendy, though I never venture that far out. I am a creature of habit, and a sickly vegetarian. 

Hand Solo

I don't usually like beetroot but this stuff Waitrose do is lush, especially with a fried breakfast:

Fr.Bigley

I agree about Waitrose being ok for the normal bits, it's the deli stuff at 200 quid for a hundred grams that runs me up the wrong way.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 24, 2020, 04:43:30 PM
It's weird Waitrose has this reputation of being 'top tier'. I buy loads of bits and pieces in there which would cost the same, if not more, in Sainsbury's. The meat /cheese-fondling counters are probably quite spendy, though I never venture that far out. I am a creature of habit, and a sickly vegetarian.

I don't see it as top tier at all.  I see it as desperate.  It's a supermarket, full of stale factory shit pretending to be better than what your neighbour eats.  Capitalism's Finest. 

I particularly hate Waitrose because it's a bellwether.  When the Waitrose arrives it's time to leave.  It indicates your proximity has been infested with vacuous aspirational cunts.  I left Wales when the smarmy fucks set up shop in Aber.  Smug is what it is.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on May 24, 2020, 09:01:49 PM
I don't see it as top tier at all.  I see it as desperate.  It's a supermarket, full of stale factory shit pretending to be better than what your neighbour eats.  Capitalism's Finest. 

I particularly hate Waitrose because it's a bellwether.  When the Waitrose arrives it's time to leave.  It indicates your proximity has been infested with vacuous aspirational cunts.  I left Wales when the smarmy fucks set up shop in Aber.

This tbh. Remember when some melt on twitter got uppity that due to a mixup in packaging something he ordered had an Aldi sticker on it. The stuff inside the packaging was what it was meant to be as they were both buying the same thing from a supplier, but he didn't feel special, he'd paid the bougie tax and therefore felt hard done by.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Buelligan on May 24, 2020, 09:01:49 PM

I particularly hate Waitrose because it's a bellwether.  When the Waitrose arrives it's time to leave.  It indicates your proximity has been infested with vacuous aspirational cunts.  I left Wales when the smarmy fucks set up shop in Aber.  Smug is what it is.

I think that used to be the case 10 years ago, but it's become just another normal supermarket in London. The one near me is full of all sorts of people, certainly not exclusive to yummy mummies and red-trouser wearing ex-rave daddies. I literally see people popping into my local then straight into Aldi, likewise I see people coming out of M&S then straight into Greggs. It's just a place to shop.

Twit 2

Yeah, Buelligan's take is a bit out of date. Some truth in that years ago, perhaps. But they've long since converged in the centre with the other supermarkets, to appeal to everybody and therefore nobody. Like political parties.

Buelligan

Uhum.

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 24, 2020, 04:02:09 PM
Just had flashbacks of getting too stoned and showing the zoom meeting the inside of my fridge last night,
Spoiler alert
full of embarrassing "Waitrose essential duck tears" shit. I'm so sorry.
[close]

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 24, 2020, 10:02:50 PM
I think that used to be the case 10 years ago, but it's become just another normal supermarket in London. The one near me is full of all sorts of people, certainly not exclusive to yummy mummies and red-trouser wearing ex-rave daddies. I literally see people popping into my local then straight into Aldi, likewise I see people coming out of M&S then straight into Greggs. It's just a place to shop.

I didn't just leave Wales, I left Britain.  I'd retreated from the fatuous aspirational arseholes, westward, ever westward.  Now, they've tainted the whole country.  You'll find these cunts anywhere, in any generation.  Britain is crawling with them. 

Twit 2

Waitrose still sell aspirational shit, yes. They have also converged to become much more like the others, who've met them in the middle.

Buelligan

Twit 2

It's ok to not be up to date on the experience of shopping in different supermarkets in Britain in 2020 (in fact, you're lucky to be spared). Why would you know, if you live abroad? It's fine.

Sebastian Cobb

I reckon a lot of the Guardian contingent have probably ditched their Ocado deliveries and are now driving to zero-packaging places where they get to fill their own tubs with rice and pasta despite supermarket deliveries probably being more green.

Dewt

Doubt it, but they might claim they do.

idunnosomename

ocado is going to partner with marks and spencer soon so i imagine most people have ditched them for waitrose's own delivery services

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My lockdown boomer parents are driving 15 miles to an out of town boomer boomer boomer selling items boomer boomer boomer then karting the fucking boomer boomer boomer boomer pointlessly and at great cost to all involved.

Birdie

When I visit the UK I'm always amazed at the variety and quality of food available - even in my mum's little Co-Op.  I was taken to a Sainsbury's which - well, I don't want to say it blew my mind, but it kind of did.  There was a bit too much choice for me really - same with Marks and Spencers.  The fact that you can buy spirits in the supermarket was surprising - but then to see about 10 types of gin was flooring. 

Food in the UK is so cheap as well - NZ has pretty high prices but people don't realise it until they go to Australia and see the exact same products for half the price. We get told we have some of the best produce in the world but really a lot of our 'best' is exported and if it isn't, we pay top dollar for it.  There is still plenty of good quality food around of course but we don't get the variety that the UK does.

Hungry now.

Ray Travez

Post-Brexit, that's going to be the new national dish.