Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Waitrose essentials: Kalamata olives

Started by Fr.Bigley, May 24, 2020, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Far, far, far worse. The Jus-Rol flaky pastry stuff is astonishingly bad in my experience.

the science eel

Quote from: pancreas on May 25, 2020, 11:39:00 AM
If you want somewhere to buy Epoisses, bufala mozzarella, thai basil, kala mansi juice, ox cheek, potted shrimps, passable croissants ... then I don't think you have any choice but to go to Waitrose.

When I lived in Glasgow the Waitrose on Byres Road was the only place to get Thai basil. Believe me, I tried. The Asian supermarkets never had it fresh, just jars in oil with chilli. One old fella once gave me a mouthful when I asked, said it was impossible to import it - 'you try! you won't find it anywhere'.

What you get in Waitrose comes from Jordan, I think, but it's close enough.

Twit 2

Quote from: Danger Man on May 25, 2020, 01:10:50 AM
My fridge makes me look posh. Better throw some shit out there and hope I look ok again.

That's a shame. Don't be so hard on yourself. But I'll have your posh shit, if you're throwing it out.

idunnosomename

i had a one of those croissants you get in a big bag from aldi for breakfast today

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2020, 11:40:47 AM
Move to France.  I have friends who make or grow many/most of those items. 

This is getting more and more plausible as time goes on, Buelligan.

Why don't we all become Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, while we're at it?

chveik

trust me, there's nothing particularly idyllic about living in France

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I grow ox cheek in a pot on my windowsill, right next to a - frankly burgeoning - crop of covid toe in a planter.

Buelligan

Quote from: chveik on May 25, 2020, 01:16:47 PM
trust me, there's nothing particularly idyllic about living in France

This is absolutely true.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2020, 11:54:46 AM
Can you read Paul?

I read that although the JLPL is a worker-owned cooperative that shares profit among its worker-shareholders, you think they're a bunch of cunts because you disapprove of the lifestyles of some of their customers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Buelligan

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2020, 10:10:37 AM
I know the history of John Lewis but if you look at how it's marketed, what it does, the attitudes it promotes - it embodies the most rebarbative aspects of smug cupcake keep calmers cutting up spare cashmere to make VE-Day bunting.   Because a thing is employee-owned does not automatically confer on it righteousness or social responsibility.

I know that you're fully incapable of admitting error so this is that last shred of energy I'll expend on this.

Buelligan

Good.

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 25, 2020, 11:47:24 AM
Quote from: Buelligan on May 25, 2020, 10:10:37 AM
I know the history of John Lewis but if you look at how it's marketed, what it does, the attitudes it promotes - it embodies the most rebarbative aspects of smug cupcake keep calmers cutting up spare cashmere to make VE-Day bunting.   Because a thing is employee-owned does not automatically confer on it righteousness or social responsibility.
So it's not what a company does that's important, but how they're marketed?

That's an interesting lesson.

bgmnts

What does it do beyond the marketing complaint? I always assumed they were pretty decent.

Buelligan

At the risk of repeating myself, IMO, it spreads westward, ever westwards, sucking in all the business that went to the garage, the corner shop, the offy and all the other little independent Welsh businesses that were there and filling the heads of the people with ideas that they can't go down the village dressed like that, ever again.  It sucks in all the people who love tell each other about their latest find at little supper parties, they buy up all the nice houses but don't spend local, just shop in the posh shop, open their own places selling our blankets and our heritage back to each other at insane prices.  That sort of thing.

Buelligan