Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cum Backwash

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 25, 2020, 07:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

Here, we might note the wide array of responses to Dominic Cummings breaking both the rules and the spirit of lockdown.
___

SAGE sub-committee member, Stephen Reicher.

QuoteMay 24, 2020
Replying to @ReicherStephen

Be open and honest, we said.
Trashed.
Respect the public, we said.
Trashed
Ensure equity, so everyone is treated the same, we said.
Trashed.
Be consistent we said.
Trashed.
Make clear 'we are all in it together'.
Trashed.

Stephen Reicher
@ReicherStephen

It is very hard to provide scientific advice to a government which doesn't want to listen to science. I hope, however, that the public will read our papers (publicly available at https://gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-group-for-emergencies-sage-coronavirus-covid-19-response) and continue to make up for this bad government with their own good sense.

Zetetic

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 25, 2020, 07:33:35 AM
SAGE sub-committee member, Stephen Reicher.
There are other SPI-B members discussed in the other thread.

Abnormal Palm

^ noted, I'm just copying responses here, anyone is free to do the same.

Susan Michie, SPI-B member:

QuoteI hope that @CMO_England @uksciencechief & colleagues will in future give their own scientific briefings to the British public unencumbered by distrust of @BorisJohnson & co. Never thought I'd say this but don't want science to be dragged down by association with dishonesty

Abnormal Palm

Isabel Oakeshott - Former political editor of the Sunday Times.

QuoteWhat a shitshow this all is. Highest death toll in Europe. Economy on the floor. Quarantine for international travellers months after the horse bolted. School re-opening in disarray. A nation snooping and spying on each other. And now this circus. Where will it end??

Abnormal Palm

Adam Kucharski - Member of SPI-M

Quote@AdamJKucharski
I spent this weekend refining our contact tracing analysis. One of the things that's always stood out is that for these targeted measures to work, we need public adherence to isolation/quarantine to be very high. But I fear it's now going to be far more difficult to achieve this.

Abnormal Palm

Laura Kuenssberg - 'BBC political editor'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52793376

QuoteIf Boris Johnson's decision to appear at Sunday's press conference was an attempt to close down the story about Dominic Cummings' behaviour during the lockdown by handling it himself, it failed completely.

Abnormal Palm

Tom Newton Dunn - Political Editor at The Sun

QuoteI'm told there are only three Tory MPs defending the Government on their backbench WhatsApp group tonight, out of 200+. They are IDS, Sheryll Murray and Andrew Mitchell.

Sources close to IDS say he has been misrepresented. He wasn't defending Cummings / No10 on the WhatsApp group, just said it's better MPs stay off the media, as he is doing. That takes it down to 2 then.

Abnormal Palm

The Daily Mail comments section

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 25, 2020, 08:07:04 AM
The Daily Telegraph

Every story on that front page is a disgrace.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 25, 2020, 08:13:46 AM
The Scottish Sun

Man 'DEADEND' in gun go bang style situation

buttgammon

Every time the Tory WhatsApp group gets mentioned, it sounds like the worst thing ever. Imagine the state of that, especially with their December intake - if the new Wrexham MP is anything to go by, most of them probably can't even spell their own names.

PlanktonSideburns

Why two threads absbo?

Abnormal Palm

This one isn't intended for discussion, just noting responses, really.

Alberon

From Conservative Home and this absolute cunt

Darren Grimes is a political commentator and is content creator at Reasoned UK.

QuoteIt has become increasingly clear that all this is less about what Cummings did and entirely about who Cummings is. To a lazy and entitled political class in this country, he was the first man to finally give them a good kicking at the ballot box. They don't care about the small child or the law in question.

This shouldn't be a matter of political capital; it should be a matter of defending truth and fact. No crime was committed. No law was broken. Those arguing that they long to see their parents are missing the point – we all do. In my own case, I recently lost an aunt, and have been trying to figure out if I can travel back home, to County Durham as it happens, to attend her funeral.

Maybe some people are more fortunate than Cummings, and happen to live in north London surrounded by other like-minded, probably Remain-backing mates that they'd trust to leave their children with for this amount of time. But Cummings did not.

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2020/05/darren-grimes-in-defence-of-cummings.html

BlodwynPig

Durham appears to be a hot bed of Extreme Right Wing Smug Fascism.

Cummings, Harwood, Grimes, all connected.

It reminds me of those seedy US Paedo industries, where you have a shadowy main Paedo kingpin (director or producer) - Cummings - who has a coterie of fresh-faced young victims who have become implicit in perpetuating the crimes of the Don - Harwood, Grimes et al.

Itching too pummel.

Cricket commentator David 'Bumble' Lloyd:

QuoteIncensed doesn't come close ... I haven't left my house for 10 weeks , other than to walk ... I have done the right thing by government directive .. who is this f.,?!ing tit Cummings ?

druss

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 25, 2020, 08:13:46 AM
The Scottish Sun

At first glance, Ainsley seems delighted with executing someone.

Buelligan

Yep, I thought that too.  It's like he's presenting the body, pour encourager les autres.  Grim really.

BlodwynPig

Weird that tabloids seem to stick 1990's tier celebrities on their front pages flogging some 'nirvana' in food/holidays/technology, and assume that the masses still see them as relevant.

It's like being stuck on Jim Davidson's Generation Game Conveyer Belt for eternity

Zetetic

Buelligan

Yeah, well, we're all racist vegans now, Zetetic.

Kelvin

Many of the these people and outlets aren't genuinely angry about the hypocrisy. They just want to weaponise it to further soften up the public to the idea of easing restrictions. There's no righteous anger here.