Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How are you cleaning your phone without facking it up?

Started by flotemysost, May 25, 2020, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

(I don't want to worry or trigger anyone who's struggling with anxiety about cleaning at the moment - I'm just an idiot who breaks things easily.)

I've been trying to make sure I clean my phone pretty regularly, normally using an antibacterial wet wipe (I know the efficiency of these against a virus is probably questionable anyway, but I'm hoping the wiping action helps a bit at least) - anyway my phone's not having any of it and acts like it's been dropped in the bath, switches itself on and off, thinks it's charging when it's not, etc.

Any option I can think of seems to involve some sort of moisture (e.g. putting a bit of rubbing alcohol, that is if I can get hold of any, on a cloth) - what are you using to clean screens/gadgets? Really exciting thread here, pretty pumped for any replies.

idunnosomename

Spit on it occasionally and wipe it with my duvet

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I've got a new phone recently and no matter whether I've showered 10 minutes ago and also used a (potentially harmful?) standard antibac wipe on both the screen and back, it still looks greasy as hell like I've gone days without washing and sweated all over it. Driving me mad.

Sebastian Cobb

Quick scoosh of kitchen surface cleaner and a rub on my jumper/trousers.

SpiderChrist

flotemysost

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 25, 2020, 11:52:30 AM
I've got a new phone recently and no matter whether I've showered 10 minutes ago and also used a (potentially harmful?) standard antibac wipe on both the screen and back, it still looks greasy as hell like I've gone days without washing and sweated all over it. Driving me mad.

Are you sure it's definitely a phone and not a samosa or something?

Abnormal Palm

70% isopropyl alcohol spray and disposable lens wipes. Same shit I'm using on the shopping.

Butchers Blind

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sebastian Cobb

dissolute ocelot

Most phones these days are at least somewhat water resistant: maybe not to drop in the sea, but certainly able to resist a splash or wet cloth. You could use a nasty solvent like isopropyl alcohol (IPA), tetrachloroethene/tetrachloroethylene, acetone, or vodka, but all of these can damage some plastics, some other materials, and sparkly finishes, so test first on a mate's phone.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 26, 2020, 10:41:38 AM
Most phones these days are at least somewhat water resistant: maybe not to drop in the sea, but certainly able to resist a splash or wet cloth. You could use a nasty solvent like isopropyl alcohol (IPA), tetrachloroethene/tetrachloroethylene, acetone, or vodka, but all of these can damage some plastics, some other materials, and sparkly finishes, so test first on a mate's phone.

I've got some milky oxidisation on two pairs of timberland glasses frames. I'm sure the first happened when I used alcohol gel to clean them. I think the second happened over time.

Apparently an abrasive like toothpaste can buff the oxidised layer out, but I've not tried. Still pretty annoying that they barely last 2 years, you should be able to go more than one visit on a set of frames if your eyes haven't changed. And indeed I've had cheap frames from glasses direct that have managed it.