Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Boo for Boris"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 25, 2020, 03:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

This feels somewhat counterproductive, a way for people to feel they've stood up to Johnson without actually making a difference. It's not like he'll hear most of the people protesting. On the other hand, maybe it will make people angry at the Government feel they are not alone: https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/musician-proposes-boo-for-boris-protest-after-pm-defends-dominic-cummings/

It's taking place tomorrow, 6400 plan to take part on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/s/boo-for-boris/1635023729980734/

ajsmith2

Just seen the inevitable comparison with the 2 minute hate from George Orwell's only book being wheeled out by Dankula (and doubtless countless others) as predictably as clockwork on Twitter. I mean fair enough in some ways, this is likely going to be useless overblown performative outrage that isn't going to change anyone's mind and will only solidify divisions. On the other hand using gossamer-threadbare 1984 analogies to illustrate your petty political point scoring is in itself pretty overblown and performative, with the added major negative of propping up a murderously rotten and evil government.

Barry Admin

I scrolled up and down that page three times trying to find an actual article? Which musician? Edit: seems like there is an actual article there, but it just gets almost instantly overwritten by a load of adverts.

Anyway, I like it, it's better than just tweeting angry shit at MP's. Johnson is desperate to be loved, and public displays which show him to be a useless, detested cunt are a good thing which might actually cause some leverage. And if they don't? Then people will start to realise democracy is one big fucking con job and maybe we can start to actually improve the world.

Fambo Number Mive

The musician is Vikki Stone, who I've never heard of but apparently has an album out called Zoological Society.

hamfist

Hate bozzer but not booing for the same reason I'm not clapping. I just..don't need to act out feelings and perform. Feels weird.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: hamfist on May 25, 2020, 04:07:31 PM
Hate bozzer but not booing for the same reason I'm not clapping. I just..don't need to act out feelings and perform. Feels weird.

Indeed. It's unmanly and, above all, unenglish.

Sebastian Cobb

Would you extend that to protesting or kicking something until it breaks?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 25, 2020, 06:52:42 PM

Toddler level defiance

Butchers Blind

Reduces this charade to a pantomime level.  This is a serious attempt to deceive the public and deserves more decisive action.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

olliebean

I won't do it, but I will allow myself a smile if I hear anyone else doing it.

If 64,000 turn up for this I'll give you the money myself. I want proof mind.

chveik

careful, you're turning into Alan Partridge

Sin Agog

Boos are like birdsong after a day of Westminster harrumphing.

flotemysost

Won't be happy until I see a looping GIF of Ben Fogle and his brood angrily clanging Le Creuset kitchenware and gnashing their overbites in defiance of Boris.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 25, 2020, 07:13:28 PM
Reduces this charade to a pantomime level.  This is a serious attempt to deceive the public and deserves more decisive action.
But enough about the NHS clapping

Billy

Remember when we all booed for Thatcher in 1990? Stopped the poll tax dead in its tracks that did.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Boo-for-boris doesn't work either.

Booing for something - no

Boo against Boris (and other selected Borises) - perhaps
Boo on Boris - perhaps

ajsmith2

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 25, 2020, 11:40:06 PM
Boo-for-boris doesn't work either.

Booing for something - no

Boo against Boris (and other selected Borises) - perhaps
Boo on Boris - perhaps

'Boo' is transitive so plain old "Boo Boris" would work, though it could perhaps be too general, giving the impression that one was free to boo Boris at one's own leisure, as and when one saw fit, rather than being a mass participatory event akin to Clapping for Carers, visiting a beach during lockdown, or a Moonie wedding.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 26, 2020, 07:50:35 AM
'Boo' is transitive so plain old "Boo Boris" would work, though it could perhaps be too general, giving the impression that one was free to boo Boris at one's own leisure, as and when one saw fit, rather than being a mass participatory event akin to Clapping for Carers, visiting a beach during lockdown, or a Moonie wedding.
"Clap" has also been transitive in this sense at least since Shakespeare ("clap him", JC i. ii. 258) so anyone who claps for carers is wasting a "for" that could be used to provide PPE for a dying war hero and is therefore as bad as Satan, the Chinese, or Owen Jones.

Thomas

What if a lady or a non-Eng wants to do it

Cuellar

Fr.Bigley

hamfist

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 25, 2020, 06:58:38 PM
Would you extend that to protesting or kicking something until it breaks?

No, I'm well up for genuine directed anger and smashing the shit out of something. Direct action is legit and effective. A vaguely cathartic empty gesture on the doorstep like this achieves little, a collective « tsk tsk » - boo is the response usually used for pantomime villains, loveably daft baddies who get their just desserts in the end. The cunts in government are real evil. Boo is rubbing their hair and saying « oh what are you like ?! »

Can we even imagine how cringingly, stupid we'd all feel standing in the street booing audiabley to yourself. I'm out.

Abnormal Palm

I'm gonna boo on Thursday defo

Can you do a tik tok for us. I need inspiration for my gripping the carpet with my toes exercises.