Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:52:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please help me, an African American man exists

Started by Dewt, May 25, 2020, 11:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

https://twitter.com/melodyMcooper/status/1264965252866641920

The pure acting in her voice as she tries to use her power to get the police to harass a black man. Just posting it because I think it's a very insidious form of racism that everybody should be aware of, really.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Taken her instagram private but I see people tracked her down before that happened and intimidated her by being African American, Hispanic, Asian, Caucasian...err... Welsh...

Dewt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 25, 2020, 11:26:09 PMI see people tracked her down
Very happy about this. Seems petty to say that but the ancient power she has needs to be destroyed by this new cancelling power we've developed

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Funny that the very first person that seemed to identify her was her dog walker. He pointed out she doesn't usually nearly stamp on and choke her dog while doing fake 911 calls, the dog is usually well looked after during her bouts of cynical performative racist hysteria.

bgmnts

Quote"I'm telling them that an African American man is threatening my life" ~ Karen #quote

White people know exactly what they're doing when they call the police on Black people

Unsure on this.

The mention of Emmett Till further down in the comments is apt.  Dash cams & camera phones seem to be a prerequisite for going out for a stroll or a jog if you're a black man in the US.  How many poor souls have been condemned, convicted or simply strung from a tree because of the hysterical claims of insane racists over there?

Mind you, I don't know anything about the woman in the video.  I'm not comfortable with her being 'named and shamed'.  I don't think a witch-hunt helps anyone.  She doesn't seem the full shilling.

Kryton

She's probably just mental, but not worth ruining her life over. Maybe a cotton-wool cloud upbringing and sheltered life? She's a dickhead but not worth wasting any more time on than necessary.
And this probably happens all day every day.

flotemysost

The dog has its own cloyingly sappy Instagram account (with lots of references to mommy of course), which isn't being spared either: https://twitter.com/ArtistResists/status/1265039807878762507/photo/2

I'm a bit over all the Karen stuff though (aside from the fact that I've never found it funny anyway) - I know people are just trying to belittle her, but this wasn't just an act of unnecessary or mean-spirited pettiness (which seems to be what the Karen meme normally implies), it seems fairly clear it was a deliberately dangerous and malicious thing to do.

The fact that her immediate response was to call an emergency number and repeatedly emphasise the man's race, both in her threats to him and on the phone to the operator, suggests in this case she knew exactly what she was doing. Hope both he and the dog are OK anyway.

Quote from: Kryton on May 26, 2020, 12:24:09 AM
And this probably happens all day every day.

I think that's the problem.

Kryton

Dewt

Quote from: Kryton on May 26, 2020, 12:24:09 AM
She's probably just mental, but not worth ruining her life over.

You're ignorant, but that's okay, and that's why I shared this. I don't really mean that as a critcism because it's understandable not to be aware that this is how racism in America works.

She absolutely knew what she was doing, and she followed every tic and pattern that has been seen in many other videos of similar situations. Being unthreatened and then calling the police because she has been shown that they are there to protect middle-class white women about black men. The police kill black people and protect here. This woman even declared her intent to use her power by warning him that she was about to call the police and tell them she was going to tell them his race.

This happens all day every da... oh.

Quote from: Kryton on May 26, 2020, 12:24:09 AMAnd this probably happens all day every day.

Quote from: flotemysost on May 26, 2020, 12:27:34 AM
The dog has its own cloyingly sappy Instagram account (with lots of references to mommy of course), which isn't being spared either: https://twitter.com/ArtistResists/status/1265039807878762507/photo/2

I'm a bit over all the Karen stuff though (aside from the fact that I've never found it funny anyway) - I know people are just trying to belittle her, but this wasn't just an act of unnecessary or mean-spirited pettiness (which seems to be what the Karen meme normally implies), it seems fairly clear it was a deliberately dangerous and malicious thing to do.

The fact that her immediate response was to call an emergency number and repeatedly emphasise the man's race, both in her threats to him and on the phone to the operator, suggests in this case she knew exactly what she was doing. Hope both he and the dog are OK anyway.

I think that's the problem.

Looks like a bunch of bullying arseholes reacting to an arsehole to me.  We know absolutely nothing about her but plenty have decided she's fair game.  Perhaps if we all join she might kill herself?  One fewer racist and everyone is a winner.

Dewt

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on May 26, 2020, 12:40:53 AM
Looks like a bunch of bullying arseholes reacting to an arsehole to me.  We know absolutely nothing about her but plenty have decided she's fair game.  Perhaps if we all join she might kill herself?  One fewer racist and everyone is a winner.
So you're suggesting that institutional racism continues because you don't appreciate the friction.

Until you learn that she isn't just being a bit of a jerk here, you are involved in perpetuating racism.

Kryton

Quote from: Dewt on May 26, 2020, 12:39:40 AM
You're ignorant, but that's okay, and that's why I shared this. I don't really mean that as a critcism because it's understandable not to be aware that this is how racism in America works.

She absolutely knew what she was doing, and she followed every tic and pattern that has been seen in many other videos of similar situations. Being unthreatened and then calling the police because she has been shown that they are there to protect middle-class white women about black men. The police kill black people and protect here. This woman even declared her intent to use her power by warning him that she was about to call the police and tell them she was going to tell them his race.

This happens all day every da... oh.

And I'm the ignorant one for not understanding this is a daily incident for hundreds of thousands of people for decades, yet not wanting to join in your pile-on.

Go fuck yourself. If you think this is new or shocking or anything else then you're the prick. Don't call me ignorant. All I'm saying is let's not ruin someone's life, you don't know if she's had previous incidents of intimidation and she might be triggered or whatever.

Don't assume me.

Dewt

Quote from: Kryton on May 26, 2020, 12:45:16 AMIf you think this is new or shocking or anything else then you're the prick.
I don't understand why you keep finishing your posts with remarks that undermine everything you said before!

Kryton

Quote from: Dewt on May 26, 2020, 12:46:26 AM
I don't understand why you keep finishing your posts with remarks that undermine everything you said before!

You're absolutely correct. You're a dickhead.

Kryton

Quote from: Dewt on May 26, 2020, 12:44:01 AM
So you're suggesting that institutional racism continues because you don't appreciate the friction.

Until you learn that she isn't just being a bit of a jerk here, you are involved in perpetuating racism.

No I'm saying you're isolated white-knight shock horror is bullshit.

Mobius

She seems like a completely hateful cunt and I'm glad everyone is piling onto her!

Kryton

Until you learn there's possibly a hundred other things that might be at play, you're a cocky cunt and you're probably no better than the infantile 4chan breed of scum hoping for a reaction on a video with very little context.

Dewt

I said as gently as possible the it is understandable to not recognise this form of racism. Ignorant just as I was before I was shown examples of this, and every other person who didn't know this is how the world works because they weren't on the receiving end of it all. You could either take the opportunity to learn or make the baffling decision to call the messenger a white-knight of all things.

("white knight" is usually an insult you use for somebody defending a woman's honour, but you've chosen to invoke it over race which is quite, quite mad)

Dewt

Quote from: Kryton on May 26, 2020, 12:49:53 AM
Until you learn there's possibly a hundred other things that might be at play, you're a cocky cunt and you're probably no better than the infantile 4chan breed of scum hoping for a reaction on a video with very little context.
This is going to go very badly for you. Genuine warning. Not a threat, I'm not saying anything else to you. The things you said? Going to be received quite poorly.

Kryton

flotemysost

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on May 26, 2020, 12:40:53 AM

Yeah, the gleeful ganging up online probably doesn't help anyone (which is also sort of what I was getting at re: the Karen jokes, it comes across as relishing the public shaming of someone in a lazy and not very constructive way, while patting themselves on the back that they're doing a Good Thing). And I agree we don't know anything about this woman, apart from what's been shown in the clip, and identifying someone in this way has been known to be very damaging in itself.

However I'd add that while it's easy to write her off as just being a bit of a dickhead or not the full ticket or whatever, and while that may well be the case, I don't think it's crazy to say that her actions could potentially have had very dangerous consequences for the man in the video. 'Not worth wasting any more time than necessary' on this type of racism is quite subjective really, depending on how 'necessary' it is to you - for some people it could be life or death. Or at the very least, having to keep in mind all day every day that you're viewed by many as a threat, inferior, or an outsider - that's the reality for many many people of colour.

I know no one here is denying that, but I think it's important to see how easy it is to dismiss this type of discrimination if you're not directly affected by it.

No, I'm saying that people are projecting onto her their own assumptions.  I know nothing about the woman.  She could be mentally ill.  It isn't institutional racism if she's a loon.  I'm not looking to perpetuate racism.  I'm suggesting that making blind guesses based on minimal evidence before looking to gang up on someone is the same instinct which causes racist miscarriages of justice in the first place.  I struggle to see how rounding on a woman's dog's Instagram account advances the cause of racial equality.

Obviously there is an endemic problem with racism - and it is also obvious that there has to be a level of awareness that telling the police 'I'm being threatened by an African American' is likely to bring a heavier response.  None of this says anything good about the treatment of black people by the state in the US.

This is just a gang of bullying bastards looking to make themselves feel good.  It has fuck all to do with overturning institutionalised racism.

Kryton

Quote from: Dewt on May 26, 2020, 12:52:12 AM
This is going to go very badly for you. Genuine warning. Not a threat, I'm not saying anything else to you. The things you said? Going to be received quite poorly.

C'mon back yourself up. Otherwise I'm going to just consider you nothing more than someone who has seen his first racist video. Are you that fucking sheltered? Around my parts this is daily life you fucking ignorant piece of shit.
Life is cruel, but you do NOT know anyone's motives in that video. She might be ill.

Quote from: flotemysost on May 26, 2020, 12:54:09 AM
Yeah, the gleeful ganging up online probably doesn't help anyone (which is also sort of what I was getting at re: the Karen jokes, it comes across as relishing the public shaming of someone in a lazy and not very constructive way, while patting themselves on the back that they're doing a Good Thing). And I agree we don't know anything about this woman, apart from what's been shown in the clip, and identifying someone in this way has been known to be very damaging in itself.

However I'd add that while it's easy to write her off as just being a bit of a dickhead or not the full ticket or whatever, and while that may well be the case, I don't think it's crazy to say that her actions could potentially have had very dangerous consequences for the man in the video. 'Not worth wasting any more time than necessary' on this type of racism is quite subjective really, depending on how 'necessary' it is to you - for some people it could be life or death. Or at the very least, having to keep in mind all day every day that you're viewed by many as a threat, inferior, or an outsider - that's the reality for many many people of colour.

I know no one here is denying that, but I think it's important to see how easy it is to dismiss this type of discrimination if you're not directly affected by it.

I agree, and I'm certainly not looking to dismiss it - what she did is serious and should be a police matter.  But I'm more than a bit uncomfortable with rounding on individuals via the internet before all the facts are presented.

Dewt

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on May 26, 2020, 12:54:16 AM
No, I'm saying that people are projecting onto her their own assumptions.  I know nothing about the woman.  She could be mentally ill.  It isn't institutional racism if she's a loon.
This is exactly how the court system treats white racists, rapist frat boys etc.

Just an incredible extension of benefit of doubt, even after you've been shown a video of her warning her that she's going to use his race to get the police to work on her behalf.

Kryton

Quote from: Dewt on May 26, 2020, 12:52:12 AM

Fuck your passive aggression and fuck your stupid 4chan bullshit.

I do quite like the passive aggression you often see in these sorts of clips where everyone is filming each other on their phones.

"Oh, so you're stabbing me now, are you, sir? Go right ahead, stabby stabby, staaaaabby stabby, this is aaall going on yootoob"

I'm not sure public shaming is the answer, no matter how poetic the justice.
I can totally understand it though, once you've shown the police to prove your innocence, I know two wrongs don't make a right, but you'd feel a bit short changed, you're back to neutral when this cow was playing for keeps. She wanted to take you down.

It's such a none event as well.
"Please put your dog on a leash, you have to, it's the rules round here"
"Oh shit, sorry mate, I didn't realise"

How does that sort of thing escalate and so fast? Even if you feel like you're in the right, I never understand why people don't want to bring everything down and meet in the middle, they seem far happier whipping things up to a frenzy and watching it all spiral into the mad sky.

Sometimes I'm really thankful about where I live, everyone I meet is easy going and friendly. I'm sure they have the odd ruck even in hobbiton, but I can't imagine living like that.

Poor dog looked like he just wanted to get away from the lot of them.