Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,472
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Goblin Slayer 🐸 [anime]

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 26, 2020, 10:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

I heard this was basically a low-rent point-missing lascivious Berserk, and it very much delivers on that premise.

I've only watched a handful so far, I don't really watch anime apart from the top tier stuff but I fancied something incredibly base.

This basically takes the form of a quest-based dungeon crawler, with lots of meta references to RPG party tropes, stamina potions, miracle spells, dice rolls and the like. Every episode seems pretty similar in that some goblins show up, kill a load of people and somewhat mistreat the women they capture and then Goblin Slayer rocks up and obsessively smashes their fucking heads in, stabs the lil goblin kids in the eye sockets and burns them all to death in the nest.

It's incredibly inane and violent, but otherwise quite light in tone aside from all the goblin raping. It's about as intellectually and emotionally engaging as the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, without the melancholy.

If you want to feel more stupid but also cheerfully appreciate goblin slaughter, witch tits and comforting RPG crap, this is ideal.

PlanktonSideburns

This sounds like absolute bin juice, fair play

Will give it a go

Abnormal Palm

Yeah, you got it. It's as nourishing as being hungover in someone else's house and heating up some leftover McNuggets in the microwave for breakfast. Equally, it's as comforting as eventually getting a lift home and collapsing on your bed for an autopilot wank and an afternoon nap.

Consignia

I'm 50:50 on it. I love the single minded "Kill All Goblins" main character, but I find most other aspects of it pretty poor. One of my least favourite things it taking video-game/tabletop games and using them as wholesale settings[nb]of which this is the latter[/nb]. Like referring to characters by RPG classes rather than names. The cast out-side of the eponymous hero is like a single trope plus they all love the Gobbo Slayer, no exceptions. There's a very Japanese racist undercurrent to it as well as the goblins (gaijin) are completely unrepentant monsters who rape and kill the pure. Not to mention the whole power fantasy of the main character.

But on the other hand, I can't over-state the main characters single mindedness is brilliant in all most comical way. And for that, I watched from start to finish. It also ran in one of my favourite seasons of anime (Oct-Dec 2018), competing against series I regard as some of my all time best, so the fact I remember it is a bit of praise it can hold on to.

Abnormal Palm

I personally enjoy any media which features a racist depiction of whites because it's normally much milder than the reality, because I can take a joke and because it's absolutely no threat at all.

Ironically, this is yet another example of white privilege, to be honest!

I'm interested in how my thoughts and feelings will change but for now, I'm enjoying how simplistic it is. As you say, there's something very charming and entertaining about Gob's single-minded pursuit of hitting a goblin in the skull so hard that the skull folds in on itself.