Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,181
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:39:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Track and Trace

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 28, 2020, 08:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you download the contact tracing app when it becomes available?

Yes, of course.
3 (4%)
Yes, it's a necessary evil but will be very helpful in controlling the spread.
7 (9.3%)
No. My concerns about privacy outweigh the benefits as I perceive them.
22 (29.3%)
Get fucked, Cumdumpster.
43 (57.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

olliebean

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 25, 2020, 03:19:22 PM
I don't think this is mentioned above, but this shit is on our phones now then. Android: settings > Google settings; iPhone: settings > privacy > health.

Glad I have Bluetooth off already, and will be keeping it that way.

What's on your phone is the API or whatever that they've developed to support contact tracing apps. It doesn't do anything unless you install an app that uses it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on June 25, 2020, 07:54:01 PM
What's on your phone is the API or whatever that they've developed to support contact tracing apps. It doesn't do anything unless you install an app that uses it.

Yes, this. They've added a whitelist for contact tracing apps to do things they've specifically prevented other apps from doing.

Noodle Lizard

I don't know if this is happening in the UK, but some bars and restaurants here are requiring you to send them your full name and current address from your phone before entering (some cross-checking with driver's license, apparently). I asked one of them whether they knew where the information was going (i.e. to city/state services, to a private company, to the restaurant itself etc.) and they didn't know. It's not something I'm comfortable with, but I'm a bit more conscious/paranoid about what's going on with my data than the average bear.

I deliberately turned off automatic updates to prevent the API capabilities being downloaded. I just don't trust it. We're lied to about the nature and implementations of technology constantly - it's barely even remarkable anymore. Apple initially had a sentence describing the API capabilities in the update description, but they've since taken that out - presumably because it (rightly) rang alarm bells in a few too many people.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 26, 2020, 09:07:44 AM
I don't know if this is happening in the UK, but some bars and restaurants here are requiring you to send them your full name and current address from your phone before entering (some cross-checking with driver's license, apparently). I asked one of them whether they knew where the information was going (i.e. to city/state services, to a private company, to the restaurant itself etc.) and they didn't know. It's not something I'm comfortable with, but I'm a bit more conscious/paranoid about what's going on with my data than the average bear.

I've seen small businesses moaning about this on twitter. That they've basically got to implement a customer tracing system that probably violates all sorts of gdpr in a week after the government failed to build a system to do it over the course of months.

If people refused to give these personal details or refused to shop in these places they'd drop it, just like they've dropped safe distancing to line cunts pockets. I doubt people will though, people have been begging for contract tracing without considering the data they're wilfully giving away.

olliebean

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 26, 2020, 09:07:44 AM
I don't know if this is happening in the UK, but some bars and restaurants here are requiring you to send them your full name and current address from your phone before entering (some cross-checking with driver's license, apparently). I asked one of them whether they knew where the information was going (i.e. to city/state services, to a private company, to the restaurant itself etc.) and they didn't know.

Isn't that in breach of GDPR? I thought it was now illegal to collect personal data without stating exactly what it might be used for and by whom.

Zetetic

Noodle Lizard lives outside of the grasp of the EUSSR's dread data protection legislation.