Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:00:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Track and Trace

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 28, 2020, 08:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you download the contact tracing app when it becomes available?

Yes, of course.
3 (4%)
Yes, it's a necessary evil but will be very helpful in controlling the spread.
7 (9.3%)
No. My concerns about privacy outweigh the benefits as I perceive them.
22 (29.3%)
Get fucked, Cumdumpster.
43 (57.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Political Technologists I always like to say

Sebastian Cobb

I know vaguely how it works, bluetooth beacons rather than fine location data, but still wouldn't voluntarily give that data away, and I'm a software engineer who works in, erm, healthcare.

As for the phone stuff, I don't answer my phone to withheld or unknown numbers. Doesn't sound like they've thought it through really.

EOLAN

Seen the clip of Hancock on Sky News. Laughing that they are now giving out about them doing things too soon when before they felt things were delivered too late. Oh how bloody jolly he was.
Can someone tell him that people may want a modicum of competence. Maybe go through the Goldilocks and Three Bears stories for him to make him better understand.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: EOLAN on May 29, 2020, 12:17:11 AM
Seen the clip of Hancock on Sky News. Laughing that they are now giving out about them doing things too soon when before they felt things were delivered too late. Oh how bloody jolly he was.
Can someone tell him that people may want a modicum of competence. Maybe go through the Goldilocks and Three Bears stories for him to make him better understand.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-hancock-laughs-off-claims-test-and-trace-brought-forward-to-distract-from-cummings-row-11996005

Fuck! Get back from my screen, you fucking fixed-grinned freak!

EOLAN

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 29, 2020, 01:07:54 AM
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-hancock-laughs-off-claims-test-and-trace-brought-forward-to-distract-from-cummings-row-11996005

Fuck! Get back from my screen, you fucking fixed-grinned freak!

I hope the response from the Government for any policies that are devastating the country is that "it is working in the Isle of Wight".

Buelligan

In fairness any normal person would become somewhat unhinged if they felt, even slightly, that  their behaviour had contributed to someones death. 

Britain has suffered almost 60 thousand extra deaths since late March.  No wonder he's laughing, he's your Health Minister.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Buelligan on May 29, 2020, 08:21:39 AM
In fairness any normal person would become somewhat unhinged if they felt, even slightly, that  their behaviour had contributed to someones death. 

Britain has suffered almost 60 thousand extra deaths since late March.  No wonder he's laughing, he's your Health Minister.

I think it's really harsh to pin those excess deaths on Hancock.

There's simply no way he has been allowed to make any decisions whatsoever.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 29, 2020, 08:27:14 AM
I think it's really harsh to pin those excess deaths on Hancock.

There's simply no way he has been allowed to make any decisions whatsoever.

he should resign then, if he can't stand up for the British People then please leave the job

Sebastian Cobb

The person in charge of this was a director at Cheltenham and also in charge of Talktalk when they suffered a massive data leak, that I believe was a result of SQL-injection, which shouldn't really happen anymore both because even undergraduates are taught how to write parameterised SQL and lots of frameworks use libraries to query databases in a secure way.

Ghostly Pale

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 29, 2020, 10:22:04 AM
The person in charge of this was a director at Cheltenham and also in charge of Talktalk when they suffered a massive data leak, that I believe was a result of SQL-injection, which shouldn't really happen anymore both because even undergraduates are taught how to write parameterised SQL and lots of frameworks use libraries to query databases in a secure way.

She's certainly No Angel

(I'm so sorry)

Cloud

Nope.  This virus has always struck me as an excellent excuse for the government to get more authoritarian and watch everyone's movements etc, it's the kind of thing that's been their wet dream since the internet was invented.  Granted, GCHQ are doing so anyway through PRISM, but at least most of us voice concerns about that rather than embracing it!

Apple and Google have a perfectly fine system already, and the marketing prowess to get people to use it.  This is just the govt getting greedy about data, and it'll result in no one using it.

Buelligan

Quote from: the New StatesmanAn ambitious project to forecast demand on NHS services at both a local and national level is likely to outlive the coronavirus pandemic, according to two sources close to the work.

The initiative, announced by NHSX last month, draws in up to a thousand data points a day, including anonymised and aggregated patient data, and has been established to help hospitals around the country prepare for heightened demand during the outbreak.

The project is being managed by NHSX, Peter Thiel's controversial data analysis firm Palantir, and the London AI company Faculty. As NS Tech reported earlier this week, Palantir, which is focused on the data engineering side of the project, has offered up 45 engineers at an estimated cost of £88,000 a week, in return for just a £1 fee.

Quote from: Digital HealthGenomic data aggregators have raised capital from private equity and pharmaceutical companies at estimated valuations of over £1,500 per DNA sample

Deals combining genomic and phenotypic data from patient records have been valued between £1,000 and £5,000 per patient record

Partnerships combining genomic and phenotypic data from patient records have been valued between £1,000 and £5,000 per patient record

https://tech.newstatesman.com/coronavirus/palantir-covid19-datastore-coronavirus
https://www.digitalhealth.net/2019/07/nhs-data-worth-9-6bn-per-year-says-ernst-young/

BlodwynPig

thanks Buelligan...that stuff does make me want to riot in a out-of-town high-tech industrial estate

or Brentford to be more precise

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Replies From View

Palantir does have an "ancient word for devil" feel to it.

Buelligan

Buelligan

Quote from: Carole Cadwalladr on twitterCarole Cadwalladr@carolecadwalla  20h
'How will I know if someone rings me from track & trace & tells me to isolate, that they are genuine' John from Gloucester.

Jenny Harries, deputy CMO: 'It will be very obvious. These are professionally trained individuals. It will be evident from how they speak.'

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1267116489649393665

Cloud

Govt: *Finally starts some semblance of track and trace lonnnnnng after the horse has bolted*

Everyone: "Why isn't contact tracing at capacity?"

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on May 28, 2020, 08:20:24 AM
The app's probably fine
Not proving to be a great opinion.

Zetetic

An absolutely awful opinion.

The app might not even make it off the Isle of Wight.

Zetetic

Sheffield Wednesday

Come on mate, it'll hopefully be there 'for the winter'. So Feb, plus pushback.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 17, 2020, 08:48:31 PM
Come on mate, it'll hopefully be there 'for the winter'. So Feb, plus pushback.

Heard it might have minesweeper and snake pre-installed

Sheffield Wednesday

The best thing about this is announcement is the acknowledgement that by winter, five months away, we will still need to track and trace to the limit the impact of this disease. Every day until then, without this measure, our response is inevitably compromised 🤣🤣🤣

steveh

So after spending £8 million on the app (though figures vary) they're scrapping it and switching to the Apple / Google model: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53095336.

This reminds me of past experience with non-technical managers who have a vision that isn't really achievable but get convinced it is by developers who can see how to do it with some terrible hacks, which while intellectually interesting for them as a solution then utterly fail when they hit real-world usage.

pancreas

Quote from: Zetetic on June 17, 2020, 07:55:58 PM
Getting worse and worse.

Yes, I don't really know why you thought anyone in this country would be capable of doing anything at all.

jobotic