Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Techie - Converting AVI to DVD

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, February 26, 2004, 11:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

My nice-as-pie next door neighbour now has a brand spanking new dvd burner, and I'm quite keen to use it to convert some AVIs to DVDs - as I have some pretty rare, non-commercially-available stuff that I'd like to see on my dvd player.  What's the best programme to do this?  

I understand TMPG Encoder has the option, but as far as I can tell you can't control the quality of the encode.  What do you lot use?

Timmay

All you'd really need is a DVD authoring package. I'd personally use Vegas Video, cause I've got it and I know it. However, I believe if you can *ahem* get hold of a copy of Nero XTRA Deluxe Platinum Rubidium whatever it's called, basically the one that comes with all the bells and whistles, you could use that.

EDIT: The package that comes with NeroVision, that's the one.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Timmay"All you'd really need is a DVD authoring package. I'd personally use Vegas Video, cause I've got it and I know it. However, I believe if you can *ahem* get hold of a copy of Nero XTRA Deluxe Platinum Rubidium whatever it's called, basically the one that comes with all the bells and whistles, you could use that.

EDIT: The package that comes with NeroVision, that's the one.

I didn't know nero could convert AVIs as well!

I tried with a bundled package, and it defaulted everything to 4:3,  when it wasn't necessarily in that ratio.  Does Nero know things like that?

Vermschneid Mehearties

Rats

Oh mercy, that was perfect timing.

Timmay

I have to rather sheepishly enter this thread, to ask for help on doing exactly what advice I provided a few posts up.

I've downloaded Elephant and it's a DivX file. Fine. If I try pushing it into Vegas Video, or directly into it's DVD authoring package DVD Architect, it can't seem to read the audio stream properly. I've downloaded and installed the latest DivX 5.11 codec, but no help. I've also tried using TMPGEnc to extract the audio to a WAV, so I can push that alongside the video through Vegas into a single MPG. TMPGEnc outputs a WAV, but it's silent.

Any ideas? Anyone know how to extract the audio from a DivX file?

El Unicornio, mang

Have you tried running it in VirtualDub? If that gives no information then there's probably something wrong with the file.
Is it a DivX file or a DIVX file? The two are completely unrelated, the latter being a failed format used to prevent copying. Alternatively it could be a .divx file, in which case you're screwed.

Timmay

Nice one Uni, kind of. VD says "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values for better compatibility. This may introduce 49897ms of skew from the video stream."

Bugger. It tells me what to do as an alternative, so I'll have a play.

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah, I've had that happen before, it ended up being fine in the end though, once I'd put the .wav output from virtualdub and the .avi file together in TMPGEnc

Timmay

Yeah, VirtualDub had indeed right royally fucked up the lip-sync, but it at least allows me to strip out the raw audio properly. I can combine these no problems now.