Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minnesota Riots

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 28, 2020, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

George Floyd is killed by a police officer.

The four officers involved are fired.

People protest. Police fire tear gas. People riot.

Target refuses to sell milk to tear gas victims (to soothe their eyes).

People loot and trash Target.

Assault rifle wielding vigilantes turn up to protect shops from looting.

Mayor calls for arrest of ex-police who killed George Floyd.

Looting and burning continues. Police station is surrounded.

A woman in a wheelchair tries to stab looters. She gets a fire extinguisher blasted in her face.

Has anyone played The Division?

Fambo Number Mive

If Minneapolis police officers are happy to continue to murder someone whilst being filmed on camera, what do they do when they aren't being filmed? As we've seen, police brutality is taking place across America. There was a video of a violent assault on a man by a police officer in Los Angeles recently, who  has been involved in three on-duty fatal shootings during his career, including one that sparked violent protests: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-06/lapd-officer-involved-in-violent-beating-video-has-been-involved-in-three-prior-fatal-shootings

As well as the officers involved in the murder of George Floyd being charged with murder, there needs to be a full investigation into this police department. Police departments should be answerable to the communities they claim to serve, and, like in Britain, this clearly is not happening anywhere in America.

When you have a racist President and a police union that is disgracefully defending the officers involved, claiming "Now is not the time to rush to judgement and immediately condemn our officers", what will change though? No wonder people in Minneapolis are so angry.

C_Larence

I am preemptively putting a curse on anyone who tries to bring negative vibes to this thread. A pox on anyone who comes here to say "well it's bad that a black person died in an officer involved incident, but looting isn't the answer". You have been warned. I have a voodoo doll of every poster on this website (an egg) and I will prick it with impunity should anyone so much as imply that there are good cops.

bgmnts

It's crap because we need the police to try and keep us safe from all the robbers, murderers, rapists and general cunts but they all seem to be utter wankers.

What to do?

Quote from: C_Larence on May 28, 2020, 05:19:01 PM
I will prick it with impunity should anyone so much as imply that there are good cops.

What about Fox Mulder?

Kryton

Fuck the cops, I do hope they get jailed. If corruption becomes the norm then I imagine riots will become common.
Good to see the mayor calling for their arrest.

But as always more innocents will get hurt.

Kryton

And yes of course there's good cops ffs.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Kryton on May 28, 2020, 05:25:03 PM

From the original no-caps proto-channer, Charles Bukowski:

"the pest is always full of dry standard nonsense that he mistakes for self-wisdom. some of his favorite remarks are:
'there is no such thing as ALL bad. you say that all cops are bad. well they're not. I've met some good ones. there is such a thing as a good cop.'
you never get the chance to explain to him that when a man puts that uniform on that he is the paid protector of things of the present time. he is here to see that things stay the way they are. if you like the way things are, then all cops are good cops. if you don't like the way things are, then all cops are bad cops. there is such a thing as ALL bad."

Cuellar

If I was a good cop and I saw the amount of people the bad cops get away with murdering I'd stop being a cop

Poobum

The Republicans have sent a clear message to the police, they've rolled back federal oversight and putting dodgy departments under an equivalent of special measures. It's basically carte blanche, you do you police boys, we've got your back.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Kryton on May 28, 2020, 05:25:03 PM

structurally, ACAB

ProvanFan

If I were a good cop, yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum

BlodwynPig

I can't recommend the Police Accountability Report (from Real News Network) enough - very stilted and low budget style, but really good journalism

here is the Minnesota report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjEht6_GhU

Sin Agog

Quote from: Dog Botherer on May 28, 2020, 06:18:21 PM
structurally, ACAB

I bet Reggie from The Bill would never break anyone's necks with his knee. He doesn't have the muscle mass for a start. Plus he looks like a raggedy old rock star now.

BlodwynPig

Military grade "toys" (weapons) itching to be tested on home soil. Police 2020

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 28, 2020, 07:09:56 PM
I bet Reggie from The Bill would never break anyone's necks with his knee. He doesn't have the muscle mass for a start. Plus he looks like a raggedy old rock star now.

Fucking Mirror, leave him alone. Legend Brian May.

sirhenry

There was an interesting episode of Patriot Act which, if you can put up with the presenter, has a surprising amount of information on why US police can easily get away with murder. Most of it absolutely horrific, like the officer in question having the right to examine the footage (for a couple of days iirc) before anyone else and in some cases censor it.

It shows why US cops aren't bothered about killing people (and by people, of course I mean BAME people because they aren't important) if they have so many ways to dodge the blame. In those circumstances, firing them may actually be the toughest sanction available against them.

Marner and Me

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 28, 2020, 04:58:19 PM
George Floyd is killed by a police officer.

The four officers involved are fired.

People protest. Police fire tear gas. People riot.

Target refuses to sell milk to tear gas victims (to soothe their eyes).

People loot and trash Target.

Assault rifle wielding vigilantes turn up to protect shops from looting.

Mayor calls for arrest of ex-police who killed George Floyd.

Looting and burning continues. Police station is surrounded.

A woman in a wheelchair tries to stab looters. She gets a fire extinguisher blasted in her face.

Has anyone played The Division?

Ian Brown said lemons help, that is why they're on the Rosies album cover.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteA woman in a wheelchair tries to stab looters. She gets a fire extinguisher blasted in her face.

Love it

Birdie

I have been wondering about the officers involved being instantly dismissed. Is this the way it works in America? Why wouldn't they be suspended and then an investigation held-and then dismiss them and prosecute them one would hope?

I'm not saying the officers shouldn't be dismissed - the video evidence is of course damning and indefensible - but I wonder if doing so somehow lets the police off  the hook as an institution- that they aren't compelled to investigate the incident and maybe uncover other issues?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

You know what, I was going to post something flippant about how looting is stupid when they could be burning down the copshop with all the little piggies inside, but I'd rather not give people the chance to turn this into a shitshow. So instead I'll say what I said in the other thread - take. The fucking. Guns. Off everybody. That's for a start. Then retrain the police. Who the hell told them to go anywhere near a suspect's neck when restraining them?? Joint locks not good enough for them? Everybody has fingers and wrists and if you start bending them the wrong way they'll come with you. Or at the very least they'll stay still. Absolutely no need for choke holds, it's always gonna end up bad, especially if it's a strangle rather than a choke because the person just goes out. They don't even cough.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 28, 2020, 08:42:07 PM
You know what, I was going to post something flippant about how looting is stupid when they could be burning down the copshop with all the little piggies inside, but I'd rather not give people the chance to turn this into a shitshow. So instead I'll say what I said in the other thread - take. The fucking. Guns. Off everybody. That's for a start. Then retrain the police. Who the hell told them to go anywhere near a suspect's neck when restraining them?? Joint locks not good enough for them? Everybody has fingers and wrists and if you start bending them the wrong way they'll come with you. Or at the very least they'll stay still. Absolutely no need for choke holds, it's always gonna end up bad, especially if it's a strangle rather than a choke because the person just goes out. They don't even cough.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/with-whom-are-many-u-s-police-departments-training-with-a-chronic-human-rights-violator-israel/

Quote from: Birdie on May 28, 2020, 08:37:30 PM
I have been wondering about the officers involved being instantly dismissed. Is this the way it works in America? Why wouldn't they be suspended and then an investigation held-and then dismiss them and prosecute them one would hope?
Usually they're suspended, investigated, and then oh look they did nothing wrong, but they'll be transferred somewhere else or resign.

I think in this case it's incredibly clear that they killed a restrained, unarmed man and that's why they've been insta-fired. Who the FUCK kneels on someone's neck like that? While the other three pigs just watched? Plus, the mayor is calling it murder.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Allowing the civilian population to own guns in what is basically an unresolved ex-civil war post-apartheid country is really really really stupid. It isn't frontier land anymore. It's the prospect of every encounter with a civilian being a potential threat to life (along with a big ol dollop of racism too) that causes a reaction where the police become little better than thugs with a license. Armed bouncers.

The funny thing is, if they did try to disarm people it would be the whites that put up a fight about it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 28, 2020, 08:44:07 PM
Usually they're suspended, investigated, and then oh look they did nothing wrong, but they'll be transferred somewhere else or resign.

I think in this case it's incredibly clear that they killed a restrained, unarmed man and that's why they've been insta-fired. Who the FUCK kneels on someone's neck like that? While the other three pigs just watched? Plus, the mayor is calling it murder.

The murderer's look of disdain as he calmly asphyxiated the man. Cold-blooded psychopath. This man was stopped for a 20 dollar "fraud" charge.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 28, 2020, 08:46:23 PM
The murderer's look of disdain as he calmly asphyxiated the man. Cold-blooded psychopath. This man was stopped for a 20 dollar "fraud" charge.
Even if they'd arrested him on suspicion of murder, he was in handcuffs and fell down on the way to the police car. Why was it necessary to pin him on the ground? Why did they not just pick him up and put in him the car? There's no excuse for this. He wasn't resisting arrest. He fell. He's already restrained. Even if they did have to restrain him on the ground, there's still no need to go near the neck.

Icehaven

I went out to dinner with some ex-colleagues a while ago, one of whom is now a policeman. At the time he'd just finished his training and started the job properly. As we were walking into the restaurant (in a busy area of Birmingham city centre) we passed a small group of young black men, and (out of their earshot obviously) he said something like "gathering of young black males, be vigilant, keep an eye on them" as if it was something he'd been taught on his police training. It was bizarre, and made me wonder how, as a young black male trainee policeman, you'd feel about being taught that, or being profiled when you weren't in uniform. Pretty crap I imagine.

Endicott

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 28, 2020, 08:46:08 PM
The funny thing is, if they did try to disarm people it would be the whites that put up a fight about it.

When it's whites that's exactly what happens. The whites get tazered and go to jail.